Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

sdanseo wrote: »
    Thought the DMRB called for all medians to be concrete?

Tuam Bypass is 2+2 rather than HQDC or motorway. It'll have 2 lanes in each direction but not hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Last Stop wrote: »
    Tuam Bypass is 2+2 rather than HQDC or motorway. It'll have 2 lanes in each direction but not hard shoulder

Hmm, thought that requirement had applied to all 2+2 (think Dublin ORR or N51 Navan to the M3).
    (edit: pause for thought, I can think of a number of high volume 2+2 that don't have it either).

Is it being built with enough space reserved for future upgrade, when some government decides to extend it to Knock or Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Hmm, thought that requirement had applied to all 2+2 (think Dublin ORR or N51 Navan to the M3).
    (edit: pause for thought, I can think of a number of high volume 2+2 that don't have it either).

Is it being built with enough space reserved for future upgrade, when some government decides to extend it to Knock or Sligo?

As far as I know, no room for expansion... typical Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Last Stop wrote: »

As far as I know, no room for expansion... typical Ireland :rolleyes:

It could probably be converted to Motorway in the same way that the original N7 WS2 Nenagh bypass was converted; i.e. by dropping the hard shoulders underneath the bridges.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It could probably be converted to Motorway in the same way that the original N7 WS2 Nenagh bypass was converted; i.e. by dropping the hard shoulders underneath the bridges.
    There are no hard shoulders under the bridges to begin with.. it would just be D2M without shoulders

The chances of the Tuam BP being converted to motorway are very slim.. There is no justifiable case for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Thought the DMRB called for all medians to be concrete?

Think this is my first post in here, despite regular checks. Must thank you for all the updates!

This is what the tuam bypass will look like when it opens just like the dromod/roosky bypass as pictured here2017-03-14_07-31-09_zpsxrg3bihh.jpgI just want to make this one of the great forums,the only downfall it ends in 8 months time,forget about the tuam bypass becoming a motorway that will never happen

The two new slip roads at rathmorissy,nearest one is form the roundabout going to the m18,the far one is form the m6 going to the m18IMAG2819_zpsqfud5wbo.jpg

marno21 wrote: »
    There are no hard shoulders under the bridges to begin with.. it would just be D2M without shoulders

The chances of the Tuam BP being converted to motorway are very slim.. There is no justifiable case for it.

Oh I agree fully. It's capacity would not be increased, so no point.

Oh I agree fully. It's capacity would not be increased, so no point.

But my point was that that is how it could be done. WS2 is the same width as 2+2, so just like the Nenagh bypass was converted from WS2, this could also be done in the same way.

But ultimately pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

It'll have more than enough capacity for Tuam->Sligo if it ever gets built (which will be as 2+2).

411818.png

The N17 Tuam To Claremorris road (in red) will split from the currently-being-built road (in blue - shown fenced off on the map), and head north towards Claremorris ...

411819.png

... bypassing Milltown and Ballindine on the West. The remaining schemes on the N17 listed by TII are: Knock To Tobercurry (including Charlestown Bypass), Tobercurry Bypass and Tobercurry Bypass to Collooney.

As an occassional driver of the road, the schemes crying out to be done IMO are the Tobercurry Bypass and the Tobercurry Bypass to Collooney sections as these roads are desperate.

However, I think we're talking decades in terms of completion, so let's get back to looking at what's actually being built now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

serfboard wrote: »
    It'll have more than enough capacity for Tuam->Sligo if it ever gets built (which will be as 2+2).

411818.png

The N17 Tuam To Claremorris road (in red) will split from the currently-being-built road (in blue - shown fenced off on the map), and head north towards Claremorris ...

411819.png

... bypassing Milltown and Ballindine on the West. The remaining schemes on the N17 listed by TII are: Knock To Tobercurry (including Charlestown Bypass), Tobercurry Bypass and Tobercurry Bypass to Collooney.

As an occassional driver of the road, the schemes crying out to be done IMO are the Tobercurry Bypass and the Tobercurry Bypass to Collooney sections as these roads are desperate.

However, I think we're talking decades in terms of completion, so let's get back to looking at what's actually being built now.

Is the red line you've shown a published preferred corridor or just your own guess?

Not trying to drag off topic, but it's interesting in terms of future proofing to see that the extension, if ever built, would spur off.

It's been said a number of times that this phase is unnecessary, so it stands to reason that N17 north of Tuam would be too. Not sure I agree that Tuam to Sligo would be any less needed than Tuam to Galway, given that a lot of people on the Galway side of Tuam might continue to use the reclassified N17 and the state of the N17 from Milltown northwards.

The ballygaddy road flyover the lights are now on 14/03/17 tuam sideIMAG2854_zpstlutalli.jpgballinrobe sideIMAG2852_zpsv6wqbopb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Just wondering, around Kiltiernan, do they have to put down a final layer of tar or is it complete and just ready for road markings, on the motorway? Thanks

glineli wrote: »
    Just wondering, around Kiltiernan, do they have to put down a final layer of tar or is it complete and just ready for road markings, on the motorway? Thanks

They still have to the wearing course which will be around August

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932635

Thread link above for discussion of the N17 upgrades beyond this scheme. Please continue discussion in that thread as it's off topic for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

m17 wrote: »
    They still have to the wearing course which will be around August

Thanks. Looks like they were putting down final surface on the flyover this evening at Kiltiernan.

Heard speculation of late Sept opening, but would take that with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What will this save in journey times from Limerick say to Galway.

While I agree with the route, will you save much taking the motorway to Rathmorrisey and then in the M6

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What will this save in journey times from Limerick say to Galway.

While I agree with the route, will you save much taking the motorway to Rathmorrisey and then in the M6

On the Gort-Tuam part it is estimated a time saving of about 20 minutes, so Limerick-Galway would be similiar I'd imagine, of course depending on the time of day and exact start/end points.

There won't be much saving of time coming from Kilternan going via M6/M18 due to the absolute carnage the terminus roundabout at the end of the M6 will become

The full effects will become evident when the new ring road/bypass opens and alleviates the above roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not shown anywhere in anyone's pictures but Coole Park is getting brown signs from the M6 onto the Rathmorrisey junction.
    What's so special about that place in particular?

Also have the "No online services" signs been updated since the opening of the Galway Plaza?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Coole Park is pretty close to the junction (on N18 at the moment near Gort) and it's actually a very nice little park, it's NPWS/OPW managed park with a decent forest, a basic "museum" with some historical curios, a walled garden, café and an ideal place to have a picnic on a sunny day or to lie in the grass and smoke a j.... jam sandwich... Coole park is quite under rated if you ask me...

flazio wrote: »
    Not shown anywhere in anyone's pictures but Coole Park is getting brown signs from the M6 onto the Rathmorrisey junction.

Also have the "No online services" signs been updated since the opening of the Galway Plaza?

The Galway Plaza is an offline MSA. That sign will be changed when the M6 service area east of Athlone opens.

flazio wrote: »

It's right hereIMAG2860_zpslgtm5yyx.jpgand there's one for the galway racecourseIMAG2833_zps0celftet.jpgthose brown sign are points of interest,speaking of coole park this where the final flyover on the m18 will open on the 10/05/17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The Galway Plaza is an offline MSA. That sign will be changed when the M6 service area east of Athlone opens.

There's still online signs for Galway Plaza

D Trent wrote: »
    There's still online signs for Galway Plaza

There are signs on the M6 mainline but it's still offline (can be accessed from local road network)

Forgot to mention above there's a new online MSA opening near the Rathmorrissey Interchange on the M6. The one that was originally supposed to be tacked onto the roundabout. More details on http://www.t4msa.ie

There are signs on the M6 mainline but it's still offline (can be accessed from local road network)

Forgot to mention above there's a new online MSA opening near the Rathmorrissey Interchange on the M6. The one that was originally supposed to be tacked onto the roundabout. More details on http://www.t4msa.ie
    That's going to be 2kms form rathmorissy on the galway side,there still waiting on planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks. Looks like they were putting down final surface on the flyover this evening at Kiltiernan.

I can't understand how they are laying the final wearing course layer at Kiltiernan and half the roundabout missing on both roundabouts!!
    I never seen so much digging and afterthought/repair works after a road was opened. :mad:

Who ever plans this work really needs to take a step back and open their eyes!!

Czhornet wrote: »
    I can't understand how they are laying the final wearing course layer at Kiltiernan and half the roundabout missing on both roundabouts!!
    I never seen so much digging and afterthought/repair works after a road was opened. :mad:

Who ever plans this work really needs to take a step back and open their eyes!!
    The reason why those roundabouts are half pulled up it's for the wind turbines coming from galway docks

The three bridges at rathmorissy work is now completed sisk just have do paving flags on the middle flyover on the right hand side 16/03/17IMAG2866_zpsfjbndhbi.jpg2IMAG2868_zpsqna12mhd.jpg3IMAG2869_zpsgdkpkxwp.jpg

• Advertisement

The final gantry sign is now up at rathmorissy heading eastbound 16/03/17IMAG2863_zpscfukzazx.jpg

Advertisement