Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

tech2 wrote: »
    Nope all of it will open together. I can't imagine what a journey from Sligo to Limerick will take when this finishes. Its 2hr50 mins now at peak post Gort-Crusheen. It was 3hr5 mins. I would estimate it will be reduced to 2hr15 mins which is remarkable given we still have some poor sections if N17 mainly from Tubbercurry-Collooney.

I actually can't wait to see the contract signed and diggers on site. Its due to be signed before the end of this month.

Thanks for the update. I was told by a clare TD that they were going to do the Gort to M6 bit first and open that, then move onto M6 to Tuam. I also thought there was some quotes on this thread from Dempsey or Fahy about opening it in stages.

What timeframe are we looking at? It will be great to see some action on it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

tech2 wrote: »
    Nope all of it will open together. I can't imagine what a journey from Sligo to Limerick will take when this finishes. Its 2hr50 mins now at peak post Gort-Crusheen. It was 3hr5 mins. I would estimate it will be reduced to 2hr15 mins which is remarkable given we still have some poor sections if N17 mainly from Tubbercurry-Collooney.

I actually can't wait to see the contract signed and diggers on site. Its due to be signed before the end of this month.

I assumed contract was signed and, from contributions here on this thread, that diggers were on site already!!! And why can’t they open the road in stages? Surely the Claregalway bypass should take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. I was told by a clare TD that they were going to do the Gort to M6 bit first and open that, then move onto M6 to Tuam. I also thought there was some quotes on this thread from Dempsey or Fahy about opening it in stages.

What timeframe are we looking at? It will be great to see some action on it

This would make sense to first connect Limerick and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I assumed contract was signed and, from contributions here on this thread, that diggers were on site already!!! And why can’t they open the road in stages? Surely the Claregalway bypass should take priority.

The NRA would announce it to the public if the contract was signed. What is seen is probably fencing and works that need to be carried out on site before construction starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sen. Ciaran Cannon is looking to set up a consultation forum like what was set up with the M6 scheme to try reduce conflicts/disputes between landowners/farmers and the contractors. Hopefully they'll also include residents and figure out how to avoid a repeat of the roads mess like they had with the M6.

While this is a good thing, given the timing I can't help but think that this is a bit of a PR stunt before the election (especially given what happens every time a certain lamented FF TD opens his gob).

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17111-cannon-set-m18-consultation-farmers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Can't wait for this to begin :) since it should in theory save me time (and my car's suspension).
    What is the usual length of time needed to build a motorway like this in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Can't wait for this to begin :) since it should in theory save me time (and my car's suspension).
    What is the usual length of time needed to build a motorway like this in Ireland?

It's pretty long at 50+ km.

40km M8 Cashel to Cullahill was constructed between Oct '06 and December '08 for example.

40km M7/M8 PPP was built by BAM (well, mostly built by BAM) between summer 2007 and summer 2010.

I'd say the M17/M18 could take 36 months to deliver, quite possibly less if they get stuck in, possibly a little more if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry for off topic but what happened to Furet???.:confused::confused:

D`oh. Changed username. :o

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    M6 is about the same length, took about 2 1/2 years to deliver. The contract was awarded April 2007, opened Dec 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

And is a stretch of motorway so good you want to get out of the car and kiss the tarmac.

A not-quite-so-good-but-acceptable motorway would be a few months less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Don't forget BAM got the contract and are known to be less speedy than many other contractors... I agree it's doable in 2.5 years and hopefully they'll have it done within that timeframe.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Don't forget BAM got the contract and are known to be less speedy than many other contractors... I agree it's doable in 2.5 years and hopefully they'll have it done within that timeframe.
    Don't particularly care how long it takes as long as Claregalway is taken off the main national route north out of Galway ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

antoobrien wrote: »
    Don't particularly care how long it takes as long as Claregalway is taken off the main national route north out of Galway ASAP

Spot on anto. Its a ****hole. And don't forget that other ****hole, Tuam. Its just a series of potholes and craters connected by some tarmac. My poor suspension!

Can I just mention that if Labour get into power and Joe Costello becomes Transport minister(he is transport spokesman at the moment) , this project could go tits up, as he is anti roads and very much pro public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

betistuc wrote: »
    Can I just mention that if Labour get into power and Joe Costello becomes Transport minister(he is transport spokesman at the moment) , this project could go tits up, as he is anti roads and very much pro public transport.

With Enda Kenny (Lab will surely need FG), the Mayo TD???

Very much doubt that he'll let that project go down the tubes - and then there's the N5!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes it would appear Labour dont consider buses as "public transport". Maybe they dont like them because buses can be operated by private companies whereas more trains mean more members paying subscriptions to their buddies in the unions.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Yes it would appear Labour dont consider buses as "public transport". Maybe they dont like them because buses can be operated by private companies whereas more trains mean more members paying subscriptions to their buddies in the unions.:rolleyes:

Good point - and then there's the point that surely the people (most of whom are motorists) are very fed up of the bad deal they get on motoring - VRT, paying more for cars, petrol etc - good roads are the very least the motorists could expect!

Labour would do very well to remember that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Labour also want to introduce a crazies version of the Climate Change Bill which aims to tie us to 30% reduction, they want to outdo this (for the sake of it)
    Of course this will hit all motorists hardest...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Spot on anto. Its a ****hole. And don't forget that other ****hole, Tuam.

Easy on the S**thole mate, some of us have to live there. It's not Tuam's fault it wasn't bypassed while Fr horan managed to get all the towns around Knock in Co Mayo bypassed. And the Flynn dynasty looked after Castlebar. No political representative worth their salt ever came out of the north Galway region and how we've suffered. But public works should never be decided by what politician resides in the constituency, even though this is how those ff bast*turds ran the place :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is a dump though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

It is a dump though :D

only people who live there are licensed to say that;)

• Advertisement

Very much doubt that he'll let that project go down the tubes - and then there's the N5!

Hope you're right I&P. This project though terminates in North Galway(Tuam bypass) . Won't traverse Mayo for years

I will be nailing any Labour hopeful that knocks on my door prior to March 11th about their support for the ARC

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Hope you're right I&P. This project though terminates in North Galway(Tuam bypass) . Won't traverse Mayo for years

I will be nailing any Labour hopeful that knocks on my door prior to March 11th about their support for the ARC

Enda will surely be pushing through the next phase Tuam to Claremorris.

Spot on anto. Its a ****hole. And don't forget that other ****hole, Tuam. Its just a series of potholes and craters connected by some tarmac. My poor suspension!

Kenny won't let this go down the tubes, he needs it to justify the N5 being upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Does anyone know when this contract is due to be signed? Hopefully before the election!!!

glineli wrote: »
    Does anyone know when this contract is due to be signed? Hopefully before the election!!!

Supposed to be sometime this month

jenningso wrote: »
    Easy on the S**thole mate, some of us have to live there. It's not Tuam's fault it wasn't bypassed while Fr horan managed to get all the towns around Knock in Co Mayo bypassed. And the Flynn dynasty looked after Castlebar. No political representative worth their salt ever came out of the north Galway region and how we've suffered. But public works should never be decided by what politician resides in the constituency, even though this is how those ff bast*turds ran the place :mad:

Apologies jenningso. I was referring to the state of the road and the time lost picking your way through. I cant believe a town the size of Tuam never produced a TD of substance.
    We have the same problem here in South west Donegal with that idiot Mary Coughlan. She has done nothing for the area. Don't think she has created one job in her time. And she'll get re-elected cos thats how dumb they are around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Supposed to be sometime this month

I heard it will be somestage in March if the interest rates come down a bit

I heard it will be somestage in March if the interest rates come down a bit
    Picked this one up from the budget 2011 roads thread. There was a report suggesting that construction was supposed to start before the years end. I hope (in vain?) that this is just someone being very pessimistic about the start date. :(

On the other hand, I was on the M6 yesterday and there are a lot of heavy machinery at the site of the junction in Rathmorrissy (both sidews of the road)- looks a lot like preparation work and not the kind of landscaping/finishing that seems to be done across the rest of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On the other hand, I was on the M6 yesterday and there are a lot of heavy machinery at the site of the junction in Rathmorrissy (both sidews of the road)- looks a lot like preparation work and not the kind of landscaping/finishing that seems to be done across the rest of the route.

Looks like they are making an alteration to the power lines; I don't think they are high enough to have a 3-level stack underneath. Have no idea if they are going to re-route the lines away from the junction, bury them underground or install taller pylons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Recieved this email from the NRA today and Frank fahey will have an article in the local newspaper weeks later.:

"Further to your email , I wish to advise the the PPP
    Contract has not yet been awarded and the
    Preferred Bidder , Bam Balfour Beatty is proceeding
    towards achieving financial close in Q 1 2011. " 

Advertisement