Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Victor wrote: »
    Note that the motorway will be much better for fuel consumption - less braking and acceleration.

If it's not a diesel then going a lower speed on the old Road would be more fuel efficient. 120km/hr speeds can be thirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

I went to Gort yesterday searching for the "bat bridge" , I started north of Gort just after junction 16. Where is the bat bridge? Is it in Kiltartan? As it started to rain when I got as far as Coole Park.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd say it would be easier to progress on the Claregalway bypass if it remained an N road. I think Lusk is the only example i can find of an R road getting one in the whole country.

Yes but Galway CoCo designed the M17 to sort out the issues along the current N17. If Galway designed an M17 that doesn't solve Claregalway, the primary reason its being built, then it will have been a major waste of time and money.

TII/NRA are already funding one Claregalway bypass, the M17. Why should they have to fund a 2nd?
    serfboard wrote: »
    There are Wild Atlantic reasons why the N18 should stay an N road. No such reason exists for the (soon to be) N83 though. In fact the whole N83 (including the new section) should be detrunked.

Maybe, but what are the traffic volumes like on those roads now?

And compare that to what the traffic will be like on the N83 (old N17) when the motorway is finished. A few mornings of sitting in traffic on the M6 on the outskirts of Galway (possibly as far back as Oranmore) will result in people using the old road again.

In the absence of the Galway Bypass, Galway Co Co obviously successfully argued that the Tuam->Galway road will still have substantial volumes.

I could imagine that TII might have agreed to the N83 designation until the Galway Bypass is built, but that's speculation on my part.

Re: the N67. Makes perfect sense to remain N67 as it's a coastal loop road, and there is also no logical connection between the N67 and the M18.

National roads aren't national roads due to volume. The R526 (old N20) approaching Limerick is very busy but that doesn't mean it deserves to be an N road. If that logic was applied, the N83 would be an L road as it has volumes less than 1,000 (yes!) north of Ballyhaunis. It's a totally unjustified national secondary to begin with (maybe there's a small case for Tuam-Ballyhaunis but the northern section and the new section are ridiculous).

If the N83 Tuam-Galway is that busy it proves that the M17 is not doing what its designed for, e.g. a new motorway to take the bulk of the traffic from the existing road so that the existing route becomes an alternative route and for local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at mahangh 18/01/162017-05-19_08-50-23_zpsfnsz6ror.jpg26/06/17IMAG3923_zpshxcule55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

No doubt this question will annoy the hell out of dedicated followers of this thread. I unfollowed months ago as I couldn't keep up with wading through the endless pages of updates (a credit to the contributors - but I simply couldn't afford the time).

Anyway,

Do we have an opening date set now? Someone told me around race week, is that correct?
    There was also mention that the speed limit on the old N17 might go down to 80KM/Hr. Any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

paul2013 wrote: »
    I went to Gort yesterday searching for the "bat bridge" , I started north of Gort just after junction 16. Where is the bat bridge? Is it in Kiltartan? As it started to rain when I got as far as Coole Park.

Its between Kiltartan and Coole, closer to Kiltartan, you can see it from the flyover on the Kiltartan-Raheen road looking towards Gort

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

No doubt this question will annoy the hell out of dedicated followers of this thread.  I unfollowed months ago as I couldn't keep up with wading through the endless pages of updates (a credit to the contributors - but I simply couldn't afford the time).

Anyway,

Do we have an opening date set now?  Someone told me around race week, is that correct?
    There was also mention that the speed limit on the old N17 might go down to 80KM/Hr.  Any truth in that?
    --
    Looks like early September 2017 - https://www.iregister.ie/v2/events/great-western-motorway-cycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

sdanseo wrote: »
    A few dates have been given by M17 & explanations by marno, basically summarised as
    -bypass August Bank Holiday
    -whole road ready early September
    -whole road open early November because the department won't fund operating costs for it opening ahead of schedule.

I really hope that the opening of a completed road isn't delayed because the
    'department won't fund operating costs for it opening ahead of schedule'

This is shocking if it is true. If everyone who has contributed to this thread sent even one email to a councillor or TD it might create enough embarrassment that it might be addressed. I feel a call to Joe Duffy coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

marno21 wrote: »
    Likely so. Here's what we know so far.

* N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort will be a continuation of the R458 which currently runs from Shannon to Gort (old N18)
    * N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore will become N67. I presume this will continue to the N6 at the Coolagh roundabout.
    * N18 from Oranmore to Claregalway will become the R381.
    * N17 from Bothar na dTreabh to Tuam will become the N83
    * N17 through Tuam will likely be now an L road

I don't think the N17 through Tuam will become a local road. I asked the local TD, and his response was

" It is my understanding the N17, on completion of the motorway, will be designated as a National Secondary Route and not a regional road. I understand that TII have already set in train the regrading of all those roads, so funding to maintain it will remain the same high priority for TII. I understand that the section from Parson's Garage to the West Wing will remain a national primary route.
    Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Does that mean the R446 from Roscam to Oranmore (old N6) will be redisgnated N67 as well?

* N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort will be a continuation of the R458 which currently runs from Shannon to Gort (old N18)
    * N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore will become N67. I presume this will continue to the N6 at the Coolagh roundabout.
    * N63 from Annagh Hill to Loughgeorge will become the R354.
    * N66 from Gort to Loughrea was planned to be detrunked entirely owing to it being a glorified boreen along most of its length. I haven't heard anything about it in a while although Galway CoCo may be kicking up a stink about this one too seeing as they probably want a realigned bridge near Kilchreest but "can't afford it". For all N18 -> N6 traffic not just Gort-Loughrea traffic (which in fairness would be deserving a regional road, neither are large towns), it's faster to use the M18 and M6 via Rathmorrissey (for example going from Ennis to Athlone).

Thank you Marno, that's great info. :-D

• Advertisement

Annagh hill 27/06/17IMAG0005_zpsrcgv3omw.jpg

I don't think the N17 through Tuam will become a local road. I asked the local TD, and his response was

" It is my understanding the N17, on completion of the motorway, will be designated as a National Secondary Route and not a regional road. I understand that TII have already set in train the regrading of all those roads, so funding to maintain it will remain the same high priority for TII. I understand that the section from Parson's Garage to the West Wing will remain a national primary route.
    Regards"
    It will be a local road sure what would them tds knowIMAG3583_zpsxyg0suvl.jpg

The m17 500 metres from annagh hill 28/06/17IMAG1532_zpskgtacbid.jpg

The m17 at bauilpuil Corofin 10/02/16IMAG1299_zpsntiq7mgq.jpg28/06/17IMAG1543_zpskay46sc6.jpg

The m17 at sheeaunpark looking towards tuam 28/06/17IMAG0002_zpshwi5ezzv.jpgsheeaunpark looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG0001_zps5xzqi8qr.jpgthe m17 25.5kms sisk/roadbridge have the wearing course completed on the last 19kms,sisk have now started on the first 6.5kms on the southbound lane and there making there way towards rathmorrissy

Annagh hill looking towards rathmorrissy 28/06/17IMAG0003_zpspgirn7wh.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG0004_zpskcaifvmv.jpgannagh hill is now complete all that's left is the sos phones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

* N63 from Annagh Hill to Loughgeorge will become the R354.

So the N63 will run from Annagh Hill to Longford?

The idea being that Galway traffic to Roscommon/Longford should take N6/M6 to Rathmorrissey, then M17 to Annagh Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

Geuze wrote: »
    So the N63 will run from Annagh Hill to Longford?

The idea being that Galway traffic to Roscommon/Longford should take N6/M6 to Rathmorrissey, then M17 to Annagh Hill?

Ah, Loughgeorge not Longford :)

The m17 at the old n63 looking towards rathmorrissy 26/05/162017-06-29_02-04-26_zpsnngizhqr.jpg29/06/17IMAG1535_zps6ryyx4nx.jpglooking towards tuam 26/05/162017-06-29_02-05-05_zpsym1rbsdb.jpg29/06/17IMAG0008_zpsemoncnfp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Is there a running road race on this new motorway? I heard from someone that there is.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This map may take a moment to load, but it shows the current national roads and the M17-18 under construction: http://url.ie/11u96

Galway County has 2.44 metres of national road per capita (4th highest in country, but 20th on density (km road / km²)). Surroundaing counties Roscommon and Mayo are first and second respectively. They aren't doing too badly.

Galway City has 0.21 metres of national road per capita (26th highest in country, but second on density (km road / km²)).

I'd be tempted to delist the following as national routes:
    * Current N17 south of Tuam.
    * Current N18 (except short section N67-M18).
    * N63 east of M17.
    * All N66.
    * I'd be tempted to add the N83 and N84 to the list.
    Is there a running road race on this new motorway? I heard from someone that there is.
    I haven't heard. Someone did mention a charity cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

I'd be tempted to delist the following as national routes:
    * Current N17 south of Tuam.

I presume this will be done, as was the case with almost all previous sections of national primary route that were replaced by motorways and reclassified as regional roads. The most obvious exception is the former N8 from Durrow to Portlaoise which became part of the N77.
    * Current N18 (except short section N67-M18).

Ditto. The section from Kilcolgan to the M6 is likely to become N67.
    (except short section N67-M18).

This section was formerly a national secondary road (N64) connecting the N18/N6 at Oranmore to the N17 at Claregalway. It became part of the N18 in the 1990, when there was a reorganisation/renumbering of various national routes, primary and secondary, including reclassifying some regional roads (either in whole or in part) as national secondary routes. It might not be a bad idea to revive the N64 as a route number and use it for this section between the M6 and Claregalway.
    * N63 east of M17.

Not likely to happen. More likely that the N17 from the existing N17/N63 junction will be reclassified as N63 as far as Galway, similarly to the way the former N8 from Durrow to Portlaoise was reclassied as N77.
    * All N66.

Unlikely to happen, although I agree it's one of the more pointless national secondary routes and will become even more pointless once the M18 is complete and connects to the M6.
    * I'd be tempted to add the N83 and N84 to the list.

Totally agree. Apart from the N80 itself, the N85 (near Ennis to near Lahnich) and the N86 (Tralee to Dingle), I don't see the point of the current N8X national secondary routes.

The N82 is pretty much defunct since the building of the M50 and the R113 dual-carriageway between the N7 and N81.

The N87 once served a purpose as the N3 effectively ended at the border due to the bridge at Aghalane being blown up and not replaced for decades. However, since the bridge was replaced and the N3/A509 now connects Cavan and Enniskillen directly, I don't see the point in keeping the N87 as a national route.

Before the bridge replacement, the N87 was a necessary (albeit very belated) reclassification of parts of the R200/R202 as a response to the loss of the N3/A509 connection, and the reclassification of former regional roads to N85 and N86 reflects their importance as tourism routes.

But I could never figure out why the N81, N82, N83 and N84 (part of the original set of N8X national secondary routes - N85-N87 were added in the 1990s) were ever classified as national secondary routes. They should all be regional roads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I presume this will be done, as was the case with almost all previous sections of national primary route that were replaced by motorways and reclassified as regional roads. The most obvious exception is the former N8 from Durrow to Portlaoise which became part of the N77.

Nope. The N17 from Tuam to Galway is being reclassified as the N83.

Ditto. The section from Kilcolgan to the M6 is likely to become N67.

Yes, the N18 from Kilcolgan to Galway will indeed become the N67.

This section was formerly a national secondary road (N64) connecting the N18/N6 at Oranmore to the N17 at Claregalway. It became part of the N18 in the 1990, when there was a reorganisation/renumbering of various national routes, primary and secondary, including reclassifying some regional roads (either in whole or in part) as national secondary routes. It might not be a bad idea to revive the N64 as a route number and use it for this section between the M6 and Claregalway.

Claregalway is a small village, it doesn't warrant a national road connection to the M6 to be honest. Traffic on the current N18 (its to become the R381) will drop significantly after the motorway opens.
    Not likely to happen. More likely that the N17 from the existing N17/N63 junction will be reclassified as N63 as far as Galway, similarly to the way the former N8 from Durrow to Portlaoise was reclassied as N77.

The N63 from Annagh Hill (M17) to Loughgeorge (N17 at present) will become the R354. The N63 from Annagh Hill eastwards remains as is, and is being upgraded between the M17 junction and Abbeyknockmoy at present.

Unlikely to happen, although I agree it's one of the more pointless national secondary routes and will become even more pointless once the M18 is complete and connects to the M6.

TII proposed detrunking it but it remains unclear if it will go ahead. It will be detrunked at some stage as its not a nationally significant road and has a better alternative route (same as the N83 post M17 and the N84 for). If anything I'd redesignate the N84 as a national secondary towards Westport. Castlebar is covered by M17/N17/N60.
    Totally agree. Apart from the N80 itself, the N85 (near Ennis to near Lahnich) and the N86 (Tralee to Dingle), I don't see the point of the current N8X national secondary routes.

The N82 is pretty much defunct since the building of the M50 and the R113 dual-carriageway between the N7 and N81.

The N87 once served a purpose as the N3 effectively ended at the border due to the bridge at Aghalane being blown up and not replaced for decades. However, since the bridge was replaced and the N3/A509 now connects Cavan and Enniskillen directly, I don't see the point in keeping the N87 as a national route.

Before the bridge replacement, the N87 was a necessary (albeit very belated) reclassification of parts of the R200/R202 as a response to the loss of the N3/A509 connection, and the reclassification of former regional roads to N85 and N86 reflects their importance as tourism routes.

But I could never figure out why the N81, N82, N83 and N84 (part of the original set of N8X national secondary routes - N85-N87 were added in the 1990s) were ever classified as national secondary routes. They should all be regional roads.

The N81 no longer serves a national purpose post M9. It'll remain a national road though as the Tallaght-Holywood section is to be dualled.

The N82 was detrunked fully in 2012.

The pointless N83, with traffic volumes below 1,000 north of Ballyhaunis is getting extended as above.

The N84; recently upgraded at Luimnagh, will likely remain. Eamon O Cuiv is looking for a bypass of Ballindooley and an upgrade to Luimnagh from Galway, and knowing the political approach to roads in Galway it'll be done.

The N87 is worthless and should be detrunked. It has no national significane whatsoever.

The N85 & N86 should remain, and be upgraded as the N86 is at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

I'd say it would be easier to progress on the Claregalway bypass if it remained an N road. I think Lusk is the only example i can find of an R road getting one in the whole country.

The Waterford ring road is an R road - R710. And mostly dual-carriageway.

The Waterford ring road is an R road - R710. And mostly dual-carriageway.
    The Claregalway relief road, if built, will be a single carriageway with roundabouts.

Sorry, I realised after you posted that you're making a different point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭seanin4711

ahead of schedule that is
    thanks
    John

seanin4711 wrote: »
    ahead of schedule that is
    thanks
    John
    The entire scheme is currently penciled in for an early November opening. The original plan was February 2018 so 3 months ahead of schedule.

It could be opened earlier if the will was there to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Does anyone know if surface is enough to cycle tuam to gort? What time does work usually stop and do they work weekends

Rock processing on the m17 at bauilpuil corofin 22/08/15IMAG3255_zps9fdj6bge.jpg

• Advertisement

The m18 at rinn looking towards rathmorrissy 30/06/17IMAG1550_zpsuo6qigdx.jpgrinn looking towards gortIMAG1551_zpsgipskx70.jpgtourghtrassa looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1552_zpszmat30ik.jpgturoughtrassa looking towards gortIMAG1553_zpsswyrotyq.jpg

Advertisement