Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Dgillard wrote: »
    Do you know if they have finished the lampposts on the rathmorrissey interchange or have they still more to put on

Lampposts,signs crash barriers are all done at rathmorrissy all that's left is the wearing course on the slip roads and the line paintingIMAG3887_zpsbhbzuzyk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

m17 wrote: »
    Just as well because the media coverage of this project as been a disgrace so far, as its the biggest project in the west of Ireland the are sitting on the fence doing nothing as usual

The media has no interest in infrastructure projects, the reports when the schemes open are absolutely tragic with the bare minimum research done.

The m18 gort to rathmorrissy part one 07/07/17 the flyover at gortIMAG1648_zpsfhizzyp5.jpgsign2017-07-07_10-13-31_zpskd6snm4i.jpgstart of the new m18IMAG3732_zpspdgfyqxc.jpgflyover at coole parkIMAG1646_zpsppnkqsc4.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards gort2017-07-07_10-13-00_zpskhadpxb6.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards rathmorrissy2017-07-07_10-13-14_zps8dtzn6pt.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards gortIMAG1643_zpse6zznlgo.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1642_zpsveaf9jfe.jpgballymaquiff looking towards gortIMAG1641_zpsxud7encb.jpgballymaquiff looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1640_zpsymcp0v7f.jpgowenbristy looking towards gortIMAG1639_zpshm2ihnn2.jpgowenbristy looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1638_zpssor8ogac.jpgparkatleva looking towards gortIMAG1637_zpshoya8ucm.jpgparkatleva looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1636_zps6uihk1mz.jpg

The m18 part two kiltiernan looking towards gortIMAG1635_zpsyijqb0tn.jpgkiltiernan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1634_zps0velqqne.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards gortIMAG1633_zpsjxnt0e30.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1632_zpshj3kptfp.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards gortIMAG1631_zpscprw35sn.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1630_zpsffgk8uxz.jpgrinn looking towards gortIMAG1629_zpsg4q5jaiw.jpgrinn looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1628_zpsgwiuluay.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards gortIMAG1627_zps2tbbuput.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1626_zpsjsh5s4nq.jpgcoldwood looking towards gortIMAG1624_zpsci8me3g1.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1625_zps9xzikugp.jpggortroaIMAG3774_zpspo4ffgzg.jpgrathmorrissyIMAG3703_zpsvzdmzpjt.jpg

The m17 getting it's first layer of tarmac at brockagh 14/05/16IMAG4788_zpsr1qjhv1t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The media has no interest in infrastructure projects, the reports when the schemes open are absolutely tragic with the bare minimum research done.

Such a pity when you think of the lost opportunities. A Discovery Channel Big Engineering style program. We've all watched ones about the Boston big dig,channel tunnel etc. While the Irish motorways aren't on that scale it would have made an interesting program for RTÉ on each of the big schemes. Hopefully if we ever get round to doing Metro North or Dart Underground they follow it from start to finish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

irishgeo wrote: »

I find it hard to believe I'm agreeing with her but she has a point. If the Tuam BP is finished, it should be opened. It's only causing havoc through the town especially in situations like this when there'll be a large Mayo contingent travelling through the town and a ready-to-go bypass is lying idle.
    medoc wrote: »
    Such a pity when you think of the lost opportunities. A Discovery Channel Big Engineering style program. We've all watched ones about the Boston big dig,channel tunnel etc. While the Irish motorways aren't on that scale it would have made an interesting program for RTÉ on each of the big schemes. Hopefully if we ever get round to doing Metro North or Dart Underground they follow it from start to finish.

It would be nice to see them doing something like The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway they are doing for Crossrail on the BBC. Watching a show like that though at present would make you despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe I'm agreeing with her but she has a point. If the Tuam BP is finished, it should be opened. It's only causing havoc through the town especially in situations like this when there'll be a large Mayo contingent travelling through the town and a ready-to-go bypass is lying idle.

Agreed. Remember when the floods in Galway forced them to open a section of the N6 to Ballinasloe early? Now, they had a 50kmh limit on it and were only sent along it in convoy, but surely there would be a case here for maybe not a full opening, but open one side of the DC with bollards down the middle and slap a 50kmh limit on it. Something like that anyway.

I'm sure theres legal reasons why that can't be done but it seems silly that it couldn't at least be tried.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Agreed. Remember when the floods in Galway forced them to open a section of the N6 to Ballinasloe early? Now, they had a 50kmh limit on it and were only sent along it in convoy, but surely there would be a case here for maybe not a full opening, but open one side of the DC with bollards down the middle and slap a 50kmh limit on it. Something like that anyway.

I'm sure theres legal reasons why that can't be done but it seems silly that it couldn't at least be tried.
    Spot on, but I'd nearly say the Tuam bypass is further on than the N6 scheme was at the time.

The only thing needed here as per m17 was to tighten the wire barrier. DTTAS could've stumped up the cash to open this if there was the will to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

DTTAS could've stumped up the cash to open this if there was the will to do so.
    DTTAS could have stumped up the cash if there was the cash to do so.

If they stumped up the cash, as few here suggest, they would open themselves up for scorn and ridicule for paying extra to open up a road that will be open shortly anyway. Talk about a complete waste of money.

As for the poor unfortunate gaa fans stuck in traffic, I take a small comfort in thinking of it as Karma for when they block residents in, abandon cars wherever and generally act as if they are entitled to do so.

On a similar note, hurrah for the clamping spree in Tuam at a recent gaa game.

Just to add, I'm not talking about opening it just for the game, I'm talking about a full opening of the Tuam bypass. Little benefit of a fully constructed road lying idle whilst there's jams every day of the week on the N17 through Tuam.

Spot on, but I'd nearly say the Tuam bypass is further on than the N6 scheme was at the time.

The only thing needed here as per m17 was to tighten the wire barrier. DTTAS could've stumped up the cash to open this if there was the will to do so.

The start of the tuam bypass 08/07/17IMAG1659_zpsyuzjuflt.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG1658_zps5kcaqdgq.jpg

The start of the tuam bypass 08/07/17IMAG1659_zpsyuzjuflt.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG1658_zps5kcaqdgq.jpg
    That looks vastly superior to the condition the N6 Galway-Ballinasloe scheme was in in November 2009. A day spent tensioning the steel barrier and its ready to go.

Still looks like some finishing work to do there, the cheese wires are still not tensioned up.

The m17 at brockagh looking towards rathmorrissy 10/02/16IMAG1394_zpsiucmdr1y.jpg09/07/17IMAG1564_zpse6mxidqv.jpgbrockagh looking towards tuam 10/02/16IMAG1395_zpsqgvmrnvx.jpg09/07/17IMAG1565_zpsyysby9jp.jpg

The m17 at ballybanagher 26/04/15IMAG0115_zps378ihn5f.jpg09/07/17IMAG1572_zpscnaitztr.jpg

Jersey barrier is now complete on the m17 09/07/17IMAG1664_zpsgn9dtulo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dgillard

I was looking at the pics of the rathmorrissey interchange Do you know why there's lampposts on the roundabout section of the rathmorrissey interchange but no lampposts on the m17 m18 mainline and the m6 mainline of the rathmorrissey interchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You can put a price to the cost to the economy on traffic delays, I'm sure they won't be doing that calculation for the early opening of the Tuam bypass though.

No votes in it when most people won't know why it's not opening and the value is less tangible using "cost to the economy"

The m17 at ballinphuil 22/11/152017-07-10_06-41-45_zpsgloryewz.jpg10/07/17IMAG1665_zpsh6zasmkc.jpg

The m17 outside of corofin traffic counts 10/07/17 pressure pads
    IMAG1668_zpsmwjfkvzb.jpg
    cables
    IMAG1669_zpsq8jwuywi.jpg
    this is where the data is collected and send to the tii
    IMAG1670_zpsk2sjux4w.jpg
    layby rathmorrissy side
    IMAG1667_zpstc9gbxsn.jpg
    layby tuam side
    IMAG1671_zpsyrkmouvp.jpg

The m17 at mahanagh drain has just been layed 18/01/16IMAG1524_zpsuztjrktc.jpg10/07/17 just the sos phones to go in 10/07/17IMAG1661_zpsgyldqrl6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are you sure they're pressure pads?

I thought they'd have been induction loops which is used extensively with traffic lights and whatnot

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I thought they'd have been induction loops which is used extensively with traffic lights and whatnot
    On 99% they are induction loops. Never heard about using "pressure pads" for counting traffic.

They are induction loops.

Pressure pads, or similar, are used in temporary traffic counting setups.

The m17 at annagh hill looking towards tuam 16/03/16IMAG1471_zps0cjphpfa.jpg11/07/17IMAG0004_zpsp5vqfvwa.jpg

Roadbridge section between Corofin and tuam 22/04/15IMAG0234_zpsw5hreogk.jpg11/07/17IMAG1662_zps5rjjn2my.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Apologies if this was already posted...

Advertisement