Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

m17 wrote: »
    wearing course is complete sisk have 5kms of the line painting to do and the cat's eye's, signs and sos phones are all in should be finished by Friday week 25/08/17
    Cat's eyes extinct as council adopts 'road studs' because tourists read its signs too literally :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/13/cats-eyes-extinct-council-adopts-road-studs-tourists-read-signs/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

medoc wrote: »
    Just looking at the signage on the Tuam bypass. Should Galway not have (M6) after it? To get to Galway travelling along the M17 you need to take the M6. Like Dublin (M6) or Limerick (M18) The old N17 started/finished in Galway but does the new M17 not start/end legally at the M6 junction?

The legal destination of the M17 is Galway, so it's simply a multiplex with the M6 from Rathmorrissey in. Same with the N17/N4 in Sligo, it's not signed as N17 (N4)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

mickmmc wrote: »
    Has anyone else travelled on the R332 flyover from Tuam to Ballinrobe?
    I got a surprise when I saw the gradient.

The descent on the R332 flyover from Ballinrobe to Tuam is rapid.
    Agreed it's a very steep gradient - so steep in fact that after they opened it, they had to coat it with that extra-grip stuff.

I suppose a) it was cheaper and b) the thinking is that it's going to be lightly-trafficked so they didn't lengthen it out more. They may have been constrained for space on the Ballinrobe side, but not on the Tuam side.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Question for you all,

1. How come there is never Motorway phones on Dual Carriageways? and yes they are at the ramp in Cratloe on the N18 for the Limerick Tunnel.

2. Did you ever see someone using a Motorway phone in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Mahangh bridge on the m17 24/06/152017-08-14_04-45-03_zpstt7hbzbj.jpg14/08/17IMAG2065_zpswphjcvyb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

serfboard wrote: »
    Agreed it's a very steep gradient - so steep in fact that after they opened it, they had to coat it with that extra-grip stuff.

I suppose a) it was cheaper and b) the thinking is that it's going to be lightly-trafficked so they didn't lengthen it out more. They may have been constrained for space on the Ballinrobe side, but not on the Tuam side.

There's a turn for Kilcloghans and the entrance in to Airglooney where there's a gym and indoor astro so yeah they would be constrained for space on the Ballinrobe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    The legal destination of the M17 is Galway, so it's simply a multiplex with the M6 from Rathmorrissey in. Same with the N17/N4 in Sligo, it's not signed as N17 (N4)

Thanks for that. Never noticed it with Sligo but now that you mention it.

RATHMORRISSY 14/08/17 the slip road form the roundabout and m17 linking the m6IMAG2070_zpsidqe58w2.jpglooking towards the m6IMAG2072_zpso5svn2vu.jpg

The m18 at kiltiernan looking towards gort 14/08/17IMAG2075_zpslpw00ebc.jpglooking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2076_zpskjdas2gi.jpgr458 heading towards kilcloganIMAG2077_zps7sdxmlam.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

serfboard wrote: »

Any photos of this available?

• Advertisement

Roadfan wrote: »
    Any photos of this available?

The ballygaddy road flyover2017-07-13_01-19-56_zpsvoe28zlj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

paul2013 wrote: »
    Question for you all,

1. How come there is never Motorway phones on Dual Carriageways? and yes they are at the ramp in Cratloe on the N18 for the Limerick Tunnel.

2. Did you ever see someone using a Motorway phone in Ireland?
    I think the phones are there because it is illegal for a pedestrian to be on a motorway so if the car breaks down, the maximum distance the pedestrian should have to walk on the motorway is to the nearest phone( inside the crash barrier where possible of course). It is not illegal for pedestrians to walk on a dual carriageway. Secondly the speed limit on a dual carriageway is lower so it is not as dangerous as a motorway. 
    I have seen people use the phones on motorways in Ireland and the UK. But probably not in the last 5 to 10 years. I imagine this is because nearly everyone has a mobile phone and breakdown cover with their insurance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 M4Girl

Plenty of folk use the ETB, especially on rural motorways. It's handy for ISUs and patrols because it fixes the caller's location, and most folk don't seem to know where they are :D

The m18 at coldwood looking towards gort 15/08/17IMAG2073_zpszxezki5s.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2074_zpsif7rod57.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Curious M17.... How have you been getting access to that road? Are you motoring on a scooter or the likes? Are they not going mental about insurance etc to you?

Don't get me wrong, the pictures are fantastic and a great view for those of us who want more than the drip-feeds from media and government, but just curious.

Curious M17.... How have you been getting access to that road? Are you motoring on a scooter or the likes? Are they not going mental about insurance etc to you?

Don't get me wrong, the pictures are fantastic and a great view for those of us who want more than the drip-feeds from media and government, but just curious.

I'm just going around on a push bike using a smartphone and a drone to bring you the best pics, I have had a few run ins along the way that won't stop me yours m17 and btw nice to see your enjoy the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I saw a fella running the motorway in Tuam a couple of weeks ago

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

m17, any chance you could outline what's left to be completed? Surely almost finished now.

Very sad to see the Tuam bypass with a days work left to do lying idle.

Galway councillor has concerns about drivers inability to drive properly and open their eyes.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/concerns-speed-limits-new-n18-overbridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Galway councillor has concerns about drivers inability to drive properly and open their eyes.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/concerns-speed-limits-new-n18-overbridge/

Surely there are signs showing that there is a roundabout ahead. If they cannot see the roundabout sign I doubt a sign warning you to slow down is going to be any good.

• Advertisement

m17, any chance you could outline what's left to be completed? Surely almost finished now.

Very sad to see the Tuam bypass with a days work left to do lying idle.

Here's what's left the tuam bypass tighten that chicken wire,the m17 4kms of line painting and cats eyes,m18 10 kms of line painting and cats eyes and a few signs all will be complete by the 8th of Sept 17 and then it's handed over to the tii

Here's what's left the tuam bypass tighten that chicken wire,the m17 4kms of line painting and cats eyes,m18 10 kms of line painting and cats eyes and a few signs all will be complete by the 8th of Sept 17 and then it's handed over to the tii
    Cheers m17. Didn't realise the M18 had caught up so fast.

Brilliant photos as per usual. Can't wait to drive on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any chance they might use a bit of aul cop on at this late stage and bunk up the opening date a little?

road_high wrote: »
    Any chance they might use a bit of aul cop on at this late stage and bunk up the opening date a little?
    sean.canney@oireachtas.ie

Best of luck. Might get his interest if you start talking about trains at the start of your email.

The start of the tuam bypass 15/01/17IMAG2518_zps7pssciox.jpg15/08/17IMAG2058_zpsyxbtfk07.jpg

Cheers m17. Didn't realise the M18 had caught up so fast.

Brilliant photos as per usual. Can't wait to drive on it.

Here's the m18 at raheen/kilkelly on the 16/02/16 it looked in a bad way 2017-04-06_06-32-17_zpsim5d2g9n.jpgfair play to the guys at langans it's now nearly ready to go 10/08/17IMAG2026_zps54ry1iso.jpg

Annagh hill 18/05/162017-08-16_10-53-50_zpsju0fhuaq.jpg18/08/17IMAG2084_zpslqa7g79t.jpgthe tii must have money to burn

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

I don't want any smart remarks for my comments anymore, Thank you.

Just after cycling the new M18 from Gort to Athenry, I intend cycling the M17 from Athenry to Tuam later on today. It's a beautiful road. Does anyone know if they addressed the problems with the flooding in Kiltartan on the existing N18?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I drive that road every day and I noticed when we had a few days of heavy rain recently (around 2 weeks ago maybe) the large reservoir area beside the road filled up nicely. (The light grey/yellow area in the middle of this pic: http://connachttribune.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/kiltiernan-interchange.jpg )

The road stayed above water but it's hard to say what would happen if there was a week or two of sustained rain in winter.

It's hard to see any drainage route from the area. It seems like the water has mainly just evaporated since...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I've heard from a reliable source that up to 80 signs have to be replaced/changed at 2 different interchanges.
    Not sure why.

I posted this over a month ago, may be something to do with the above sign being changed.
    Looks like a design fault, which ultimately will be up the the contractor/consultants to cover the replacement cost.

Advertisement