Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

serfboard wrote: »
    ViaMichelin gives the following numbers currently:

251km (59km of Motorway) using the M4->N4->N5.
    296km (185km of Motorway) using the M4->M6->N18->N17->N60->N5.

It'll be well over 200 km on Motorway when the M17 opens up, and you'll have Dual Carriageway to North of Tuam so I'd guess it'd be a safer, easier (albeit longer) drive.

The pleasure of avoiding such gems as Tulsk, strokestown, ballinagare, frenchpark, will be worth the extra kms, for me at least. Any time lost in the extra distance will be more than made up for in the average speed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N5 Ballaghaderreen-Strokestown is going ahead (planning decision due) & Castlebar is getting its second bypass.

So from Castlebar-Dublin you just have Ballyvary, Bohola, Termonbarry, Longford roundabouts, Rathowen and Ballinalack.

Should be a reasonably decent drive then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

marno21 wrote: »
    The N5 Ballaghaderreen-Strokestown is going ahead (planning decision due) & Castlebar is getting its second bypass.

So from Castlebar-Dublin you just have Ballyvary, Bohola, Termonbarry, Longford roundabouts, Rathowen and Ballinalack.

Should be a reasonably decent drive then.

And when that is complete I might reassess the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m18 1km form kiltiernan 17/08/17IMAG2105_zpswzoeqngr.jpg

The m18 at coldwood looking towards rathmorrissy 17/08/17IMAG2103_zpsx2zbfj9m.jpgcoldwood looking towards gortIMAG2104_zpsc1ztesqm.jpgthey have only three weeks work left,they will be off site by the 8th of Sept

• Advertisement

Annagh hill all signs are now complete on the m17 17/08/17IMAG2111_zpsqmhyzvra.jpg

The m18 at caranavooduan 18/10/162017-08-18_06-36-12_zpsufbjjxy7.jpg18/08/17IMAG2108_zpskopz3gys.jpg

Junction signs gort to tuam 16 gortIMAG2042_zpsvwvqicmf.jpg17 kiltiernanIMAG2105_zpswzoeqngr.jpg18 rathmorrissyIMAG3880_zpsy1cio3t5.jpg19 annagh hillIMAG1717_zpsffz3t4vf.jpg20 kilmore roundaboutIMAG1832_zpswx7nsfxr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

m17 wrote: »
    Junction signs gort to tuam 16 gortIMAG2042_zpsvwvqicmf.jpg17
    kiltiernanIMAG2105_zpswzoeqngr.jpg

I f**kin hate when they put two 'R's in Kinvara, the Kinvara in south Galway has 1 R the Kinvarra out in Connemara has 2 R's......get it right!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Little Mc

It's Kinvarra on the OS maps. It's just an anglicisation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

N67 exit another 90 degree job... FML do we ever learn. Guaranteed tourist accidents on this junction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N67 exit another 90 degree job... FML do we ever learn. Guaranteed tourist accidents on this junction.

N67 exit was planned as such when the Crusheen exit was planned; e.g there wasn't much known about their real world performance. Most tourist traffic will use the N67 all the way to Oranmore as that's the Wild Atlantic Way (ex N18).

My concern is that the junction will be busy because many people will use the old N18 from this junction to Galway as it'll be quieter and will avoid the major jams on the M6 towards Galway

The m17 at castlelambertIMAG3176_zpsk9ugh2wv.jpgm17 at annagh hillIMAG2111_zpsqmhyzvra.jpgthese signs are 12kms apart now you do the math

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

There should be long ramps for all motorway junctions, but there's nothing worse than the LILOs on the Ennis Bypass - the compact interchanges at Crusheen and Kiltiernan are quite an improvement on those it appears.

marno21 wrote: »
    N67 exit was planned as such when the Crusheen exit was planned; e.g there wasn't much known about their real world performance. Most tourist traffic will use the N67 all the way to Oranmore as that's the Wild Atlantic Way (ex N18).

My concern is that the junction will be busy because many people will use the old N18 from this junction to Galway as it'll be quieter and will avoid the major jams on the M6 towards Galway
    Its a pity the n67 wasn't a dual carriageway,then the kids in the back will ask can we take a spin on the AC/DC Atlantic corridor dual carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The m17 at castlelambertIMAG3176_zpsk9ugh2wv.jpgm17 at annagh hillIMAG2111_zpsqmhyzvra.jpgthese signs are 12kms apart now you do the math
    OK - I'll accept the challenge ...

We're at Castlelambert and we drive north. At Annagh Hill the signs tell us we are now:

6km closer to Sligo (132 - 126).
    8km closer to Claremorris (54 - 46).
    16km closer to Tuam (30 - 14).

confused.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

19 annagh hillIMAG1717_zpsffz3t4vf.jpg20 kilmore roundaboutIMAG1832_zpswx7nsfxr.jpg

Why is Baile Chlair only as gaeilge and not english as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

FatherTed wrote: »
    Why is Baile Chlair only as gaeilge and not english as well?

Officially Claregalway is in the Gaeltacht so must be in Irish only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dgillard

Does anyone know if the junction signs on the kilternan interchange northbound have been put up yet

Dgillard wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the junction signs on the kilternan interchange northbound have been put up yet

Not yet that's happening next week and the pics will be right here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

"Previously on M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam progress".......
    😂

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

how come you know so much about whats happening on this project,

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Question for you all , I didn't take much notice to the marker posts between Rathmorrissey and Tuam on the new M17 when I cycled it the other day and I'd like to know this. What's the distance on Northbound and Southbound lanes on the approach to Tuam for Sligo?

and I hear the TII are going continuing the numbering system from 20 to 32 to whenever Donegal gets its as its part of the Atlantic Corridor for road funding for projects like the rest of us have been receiving. It's all because of Shannon Airport as well for this road route numbering

biffoman wrote: »
    how come you know so much about whats happening on this project,

It's about getting out there,keeping the ear to the ground,chatting to the guys on the ground,keeping the camera on the only down fall it all ends in three months time and least you will have something to show your kids in years to come the will probably say yee grown ups did sad things

M17 annagh hill looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2090_zps8kwoaw5l.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2091_zpsnez99lqt.jpgAriel view of the two roundabouts2017-08-19_02-06-33_zpsauecybyl.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 17/07/172017-08-19_02-48-54_zpsgrm5pseb.jpg

paul2013 wrote: »
    Question for you all , I didn't take much notice to the marker posts between Rathmorrissey and Tuam on the new M17 when I cycled it the other day and I'd like to know this. What's the distance on Northbound and Southbound lanes on the approach to Tuam for Sligo?

and I hear the TII are going continuing the numbering system from 20 to 32 to whenever Donegal gets its as its part of the Atlantic Corridor for road funding for projects like the rest of us have been receiving. It's all because of Shannon Airport as well for this road route numbering

The first sign on the m17 at rathmorrissyIMAG1967_zpsor3qlnvr.jpgthe last sign on the m17 at tuamIMAG1888_zpsek7s1tnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

is this photo one of your drone photos.if so well done.

Start of the new m18 at gortIMAG2041_zpsprxxabky.jpgend of the m17 at tuamIMAG1890_zpso3dwwrv9.jpg

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISSY 19/08/15IMAG0579_zpsryuwo5qc.jpg19/08/17IMAG1689_zpsj85vyohi.jpg

Advertisement