Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

medoc wrote: »
    Looking at the Rathmorrisey pictures above I've a silly question. The motorway regulations appear to end before the roundabout pert of the junction. Would that be normal for a junction like this? The only way to get onto or off the roundabout is from one of the motorways

I would hope so, as you might find someone trying to take the roundabout at the full 120 Kph. It does sound redundant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Is there a difference between the Motorway on the West of Ireland compared to those going to Dublin? They only reason I say this is because in the West of Ireland they don't have the Motorway Ahead sign stating such and such are banned from using the Motorway. Instead they have a picture of No Ass carts, No pedestrians and so fourth and L Drivers are allowed to drive the M18 as nothing is restricting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

paul2013 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the Motorway on the West of Ireland compared to those going to Dublin? They only reason I say this is because in the West of Ireland they don't have the Motorway Ahead sign stating such and such are banned from using the Motorway. Instead they have a picture of No Ass carts, No pedestrians and so fourth and L Drivers are allowed to drive the M18 as nothing is restricting them.

The law restricts them - just because there is no sign doesn't mean it is allowed.

I think the signs have been phased out as motorways and their restrictions become more prevalent, but I've seen them in all parts of the country really.

We could certainly do with them being at all entrances, especially rurally like on this scheme. Preferably combined with the return of the "Danger-Wrong Way-Turn Back" signs rather than just no entry. And maybe with a side order of "Keep Left" signs.

I'm just wishful thinking with some of that but maybe M17 can show us examples of any of the above on this scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

medoc wrote: »
    Looking at the Rathmorrisey pictures above I've a silly question. The motorway regulations appear to end before the roundabout pert of the junction. Would that be normal for a junction like this? The only way to get onto or off the roundabout is from one of the motorways
    It is a bit strange as all the escapes from the roundabout are under motorway regulations. If the powers that be want to avoid having motorists approaching it too fast, why don't they just erect clear signage along with rumble strips and include 'Yield Ahead' advance signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at carthymore 16/06/162017-08-26_11-20-11_zpsevfiorua.jpg26/08/17IMAG2180_zpswozpdsfe.jpg

• Advertisement

2017-08-25_02-00-45_zps5jgafc6h.jpg
    I think that someone cocked up by installing these signs as the roundabout had blue signs all over it.
    I reckon that they'll be gone before the road opens.

Here's another sign that needs to be changed 2017-08-25_09-19-42_zpsxfekcdc6.jpgthis is the last sign on the m18,it should have 89.5kms as it starts at rossbrien Limerick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

m17 wrote: »
    Here's another sign that needs to be changed 2017-08-25_09-19-42_zpsxfekcdc6.jpgthis is the last sign on the m18,it should have 89.5kms as it starts at rossbrien Limerick

M18 starts at Rossbrien in junction number terms but the signs at Rossbrien say N18 S 100. I believe this measured the distance from Rossbrien to the end of the N18 at Claregalway and the new road is obviously shorter by 9.5km. It'd be cheaper to leave it wrong than change all the signs

RATHMORRISSY 26/08/172017-08-24_07-30-03_zps7fl9zxb0.jpgthe far slip is the m18 joining the m6,the near slip road is the m18 linking to m6 eastbound via the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

What makes you say that?

There are end of Motorway signs approaching the the roundabout.

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISSY top of the m17/m18 flyover 26/03/162017-08-26_03-26-06_zpstvgy1kys.jpg26/08/172017-08-25_09-20-18_zpsomwuwbvv.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

2017-08-25_02-00-45_zps5jgafc6h.jpg
    I think that someone cocked up by installing these signs as the roundabout had blue signs all over it.
    I reckon that they'll be gone before the road opens.

Well, the 'end of motorway' sign indicates end of motorway restrictions. Now it impossible for a cyclist to get there legally, but it does allow a car to stop for some reason whereas they cannot stop on the motorway unless it is an emergency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Well, the 'end of motorway' sign indicates end of motorway restrictions. Now it impossible for a cyclist to get there legally, but it does allow a car to stop for some reason whereas they cannot stop on the motorway unless it is an emergency.
    All the verge lines on the circulatory carriageway appear solid, so stoping there would be illegal. Perhaps it's more to do with the break in free flow conditions when having to yield to traffic on the roundabout, but AFAIK in England that's allowed between motorways (as long as it's only yielding to traffic from the right) or at least that used to be the case.

Middle Man wrote: »
    All the verge lines on the circulatory carriageway appear solid, so stoping there would be illegal. Perhaps it's more to do with the break in free flow conditions when having to yield to traffic on the roundabout, but AFAIK in England that's allowed between motorways (as long as it's only yielding to traffic from the right) or at least that used to be the case.
    Yes, roundabouts between motorways where no non-motorway traffic can join are still under motorway regulations. There's nothing in the regulations that state that a motorway can't have a junction where traffic must give way to other traffic.

I still believe that it's a cockup!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

RATHMORRISSY 26/08/172017-08-24_07-30-03_zps7fl9zxb0.jpg
    I wonder what the large gravelled area is? Perhaps it was used for storing building materials during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What's left to be done? Looks great to me judging from those photos!

spacetweek wrote: »
    I wonder what the large gravelled area is? Perhaps it was used for storing building materials during construction.

I don't recall the name, but possibly an emergency stopping pit thing for HGV's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There should be no "end of motorway" restrictions signs on the Rathmorrissey junction fullstop. There should also be no start of motorway signs on it; not sure if they're there.

The approach signs to the roundabout should have all 3 exits labelled; in the event the motorway is closed for whatever reason and it becomes a diversionary route.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

I don't recall the name, but possibly an emergency stopping pit thing for HGV's.

Gravel trap
    motor sports enthusiasts often use the term 'kitty litter'

Can't wait for this to be open!!!!
    will be driving Cork to Westport next month, hopefully my last trip on the old road, but if it could be opened for 08-Sep-17,......

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What's left to be done? Looks great to me judging from those photos!

So he's what's left to be done the tuam bypass 4.2 kms tighten that chicken wire,the m17 25.5kms is now complete brilliant job sisk/roadbridge all that needs doing is the hedge cutting, the m18 27.5kms langans have the last 10kms of line painting to finish off which will be finished on the 8th of Sept,then the cycle race on the 10th of Sept,then it's handed over to the tii and then come the 6th of October we will all be on it and we'll all wonder what the fuss was all about yours m17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Yes, roundabouts between motorways where no non-motorway traffic can join are still under motorway regulations. There's nothing in the regulations that state that a motorway can't have a junction where traffic must give way to other traffic.

I still believe that it's a cockup!

It's probably left over from when there was a service area planned for this roundabout. They probably forgot to remove those signs from the plan when the service station was removed.

Or else they have done it intenionally so that adding something to the roundabout in the future would be simpler as the roundabout is technically not a motorway....

Goofy wrote: »
    It's probably left over from when there was a service area planned for this roundabout. They probably forgot to remove those signs from the plan when the service station was removed.

Or else they have done it intenionally so that adding something to the roundabout in the future would be simpler as the roundabout is technically not a motorway....
    Here's a map of that service areaIMAG3999_zpsj3g3jomc.jpgthere was a service area to go at location three but got turned down,it will be located at location two,for eastbound traffic it will open July 19

The start of the m17 at rathmorrissy 23/03/172017-08-27_11-07-49_zpsl5lvsqag.jpg27/08/172017-08-25_09-20-18_zps6xqls3oa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Fantastic thread, great photos and updates! Any insight into opening date for M17? I'm hearing some saying early Dec and others saying Oct.

peustace wrote: »
    Fantastic thread, great photos and updates! Any insight into opening date for M17? I'm hearing some saying early Dec and others saying Oct.

There's only 40 days left to opening roll onIMAG2174_zpspgemces5.jpglast Wednesday 's tuam herald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The M1/M50 junction has a roundabout which used to be under motorway restrictions before they installed the freeflow ramps. There is no excuse for claiming that this roundabout should be all-purpose, and the usual rule of thumb has to apply:
    • If it leads inescapably to a motorway, it's a motorway
    • If you can only get there from a motorway, it's a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

The start of the m17 at rathmorrissy 23/03/172017-08-27_11-07-49_zpsl5lvsqag.jpg27/08/172017-08-25_09-20-18_zps6xqls3oa.jpg

Great shots. Really shows what a few months can bring on a project like this.

The start of the tuam bypass 27/08/17IMAG2224_zpsyzisxr3w.jpgthe footbridgeIMAG2223_zps7hznqi0h.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG2205_zpsvshcadw3.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 27/08/17 the slip road linking the m6 to the m182017-08-27_04-44-10_zpsrdikzojx.jpgtwo lanes near one from the roundabout far one form the m62017-08-27_04-43-29_zps11koqw1z.jpg

• Advertisement

The m17 rathmorissy to tuam work is now complete part one,rathmorrissy2017-08-25_09-20-35_zpsbt0w86sj.jpgcastlelambert looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2160_zpslekitwqw.jpgcastlelambert looking towards tuamIMAG2161_zpsghqxt7x3.jpgcarthymore looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2179_zpse3iy2ids.jpgcarthymore looking towards tuamIMAG2180_zpswozpdsfe.jpgsheeaunpark looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2181_zpsoijxucdb.jpgsheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2182_zpsovxjat0j.jpgkilkseagh looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1854_zpsor9e6ytu.jpgkilkseagh looking towards tuamIMAG1856_zpszcbfuy7j.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1858_zpsuothuysp.jpglaraghmore looking towards tuamIMAG1859_zpsjr7zbpm2.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2227_zpsfp2vuo4d.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2226_zpstcmzbz38.jpg

Advertisement