Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M17 part two annagh hill footbridge looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1862_zpshssoqphm.jpgannagh hill footbridge looking towards tuamIMAG1863_zpstxjdujd5.jpgbrockagh looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1865_zpsg417aukg.jpgbrockagh looking towards tuamIMAG1866_zpsytuv0sfs.jpgbauilpuil looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1867_zpssowygomz.jpgbauilpuil looking towards tuamIMAG1868_zpscp7gqwns.jpgcloonkeen north looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2190_zpscdakkcpc.jpgcloonkeen north looking towards tuamIMAG2191_zpsvbijtygu.jpgcloondarone looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2203_zpsbqz89kjt.jpgcloondarone looking towards tuamIMAG2204_zpss77rcgre.jpgkilleelaun looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1823_zpst7guzhs6.jpgkilleelaun looking towards tuamIMAG1824_zpstmkze4ad.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG2205_zpsvshcadw3.jpgthat is it the m17 is now complete with 10 flyovers,1 footbridge,1 accommodation flyover at a cost of 260 million brilliant job to the guys at roadbridge/sisk it's been some journey the last 31 month's

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Your drone must have clocked up some air miles by now! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Some journey for you too M17, thanks a million for the updates

The m17 5kms form tuam let's hope we won't be driving at this speed come the 6th of OctoberIMAG2194_zpssmglxapa.jpgaccess to the pondsIMAG2193_zps50hwx3ac.jpg

It's a pity rathmorissy wasn't like this near BerlinIMAG2000_zpsckfwtgbm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

m17 wrote: »

Vorsprung Durch tecknik as they say in Germany......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Any drone shot of Rathmorissy similar to that shot in Germany?

Any drone shot of Rathmorissy similar to that shot in Germany?

RATHMORRISSY 17/07/172017-08-19_02-48-54_zpsgrm5pseb.jpg

That German style cloverleaf would have fitted!

The tuam bypass 28/08/17IMAG2210_zpswje2xem0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cloverleafs are awful because of weaving. I wouldn't want them here. Sure, I don't like Rathmorrisey anymore than others on here (3 level stacks are dreadful if they get busy), but cloverleafs are also bad.

Anything 'better' would have been very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The tuam bypass 28/08/17IMAG2210_zpswje2xem0.jpg
    Only 100 or so kilometres of N17 left to upgrade then! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Only 100 or so kilometres of N17 left to upgrade then! :D
    Less than 100, I think the N4 approach to Sligo is ok for now ;)

Claremorris - Knock will be a cheap upgrade, the other 80/85km will be the major stumbling block.

The Limerick-Sligo trip has seen some change since this time 20 years ago. Limerick itself, Shannon, Newmarket on Fergus, Clarecastle, Ennis, Barefield, Crusheen, Gort, Ardrahan, Labane, Kilcolgan, Clarinbridge, Oranmore, Claregalway, Tuam, Claremorris, Knock, Collooney, Ballisodare and Sligo itself all bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Just heard on 8am Galway Bay fm news that Sean Canney has announced that the official opening of the motorway will be 27th September!
    Happy Days are not too far away !!! Here is the link: http://galwaybayfm.ie/gort-tuam-motorway-open-ahead-schedule-next-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Will be interesting to see the difference it makes to the traffic situation in tuam, claregalway, clarinbridge etc.

End of the M6 could turn even more chaotic in the mornings though, I imagine no forward thinking or planning has gone into that? Are they going to do anything with the Briarhill lights sequence for example?

A longer right turning lane is being built at Briarhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The sensible thing to do in my opinion is signpost exit 19 as the route to Parkmore and work the light sequences at Carnmore cross and the top of road into Parkmore in favour of traffic coming from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Couldn't be having cloverleaf interchanges here - we like out roundabouts too much!:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

flazio wrote: »
    The sensible thing to do in my opinion is signpost exit 19 as the route to Parkmore and work the light sequences at Carnmore cross and the top of road into Parkmore in favour of traffic coming from that direction.

This could be an idea (even unofficially as a way to avoid the traffic) as traffic will be reduced on the now detrunked N18

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    Just heard on 8am Galway Bay fm news that Sean Canney has announced that the official opening of the motorway will be 27th September!
    Happy Days are not too far away !!! Here is the link: http://galwaybayfm.ie/gort-tuam-motorway-open-ahead-schedule-next-month/

Fantastic news!! It will be open just in time for the All-Ireland Hurling/Football final replay on September 30th!!

@M17: you never told us this opening - you're slipping up!! :D I'm joking!!

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the difference it makes to the traffic situation in tuam, claregalway, clarinbridge etc.

End of the M6 could turn even more chaotic in the mornings though, I imagine no forward thinking or planning has gone into that? Are they going to do anything with the Briarhill lights sequence for example?

Will turn!

flazio wrote: »

Are some existing M6 commuters going to Parkmore not already doing this?

So another 28 days and this sign will be gone foreverIMAG1647_zps8stwrwpv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Will turn!

Ya, ultimately surely it's just moving a load a traffic faster towards a bottleneck at briarhill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RATHMORRISSY 17/07/172017-08-19_02-48-54_zpsgrm5pseb.jpg
    Couldn't be having cloverleaf interchanges here - we like out roundabouts too much!:D

The Rathmorrissy roundabout performs the function of the cloverleaf. Every vehicle presenting at the roundabout is going 270 degrees around it. Meeting a vehicle coming onto the roundabout has to give way to one on the roundabout, but both know where the other is going - unlike a traditional roundabout.

On the cloverleaf, there are two strips of road where the leaves merge, and vehicles must cross over, with no priority saving the normal rules. The crossover distance is quite limited and is at a higher speed.

Given the lower traffic levels, the Rathmorrisey design wins in my book. The bridge costs on the cloverleaf looks higher, (twice the span and three times the width- to my eye) with the feeder roads about two to three times the length.

Rathmorrisey could have been made freeflow by a change in road marking and maybe wider lanes, better approach angles, on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Fantastic news!! It will be open just in time for the All-Ireland Hurling/Football final replay on September 30th!!

@M17: you never told us this opening - you're slipping up!! :D I'm joking!!

After 2 and half years of hard work a man is entitled to a morning off,I just hope that future road forums will be as good as this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

ELCAT2009 wrote:
    Just heard on 8am Galway Bay fm news that Sean Canney has announced that the official opening of the motorway will be 27th September! Happy Days are not too far away !!! Here is the link:

Darn, down in Kerry for a break for a few days from Donegal, this would have made our 6 hour journey home a little shorter, looks like we will miss the opening by a few weeks!

RATHMORRISSY 30/10/15IMAG0188_zps4x2llnco.jpg09/08/17IMAG5788_zpscbzmeyno.jpg

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    End of the M6 could turn even more chaotic in the mornings though, I imagine no forward thinking or planning has gone into that?

Yeah, you'd think it would be a good spot for the starting point of an outer bypass of Galway city which could be used to disperse the traffic efficiently around the environs.

Advertisement