Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

There is a charity cycle along the motorway this weekend.

This pdf includes a map with all the future road labels.
    http://www.directroutegorttotuam.ie/media/27129/great_western_cycle_cyclist_handbook.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The flyover at bauilpuil 15/02/162017-07-25_08-23-01_zpstjuwwal3.jpg08/09/17IMAG1665_zpsh6zasmkc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

m17 wrote: »
    The flyover at bauilpuil 15/02/162017-07-25_08-23-01_zpstjuwwal3.jpg08/09/17IMAG1665_zpsh6zasmkc.jpg

Fantastic piece of infrastructure. Pity about the weeds growing up alongside the crash barrier before it´s even open

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

HERE maps has the motorway up on their site and it looks complete:

https://wego.here.com/?map=53.29394,-8.79434,15,satellite&fb_locale=en_GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Nice. It's not available for routes yet. Interested to find out the time difference for getting from Galway City to the far side of Tuam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Treasure these last few Friday evenings lads.

Won't have many more pleasurable Friday evenings soaking in the lovely walls of Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam whilst moving between 0 and 5km/h.

The end of the current m18 at gort looking towards Limerick 08/09/17IMAG2314_zps1o4uk54j.jpgstart of the new m18 looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2315_zpsjiotfwuv.jpgthe first sign on the new m18IMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote: »
    Treasure these last few Friday evenings lads.

Won't have many more pleasurable Friday evenings soaking in the lovely walls of Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam whilst moving between 0 and 5km/h.

Having spent the last 5 or more years driving Cork to donegal twice a week, I can't wait!!

M18 junction 17 kiltiernan looking towards rathmorrissy 08/09/17IMAG2310_zps8dyfswtv.jpgkiltiernan looking towards gortIMAG2308_zpssypxou0u.jpg

The northbound lane on the m18 at gort 09/09/17IMAG2316_zps1qg8cmf3.jpgprogress report hears what's left to be done the tuam bypass tighten that chicken wire,the m17 hedge cutting,the m18 remove the barriers at junction 16,1 km of line painting and cats eyes and put up that gantry sign and it's ready to rock a big thanks to roadbridge/sisk and langans you have done unreal work over the past 32 months thanks again yours m17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I did Castlebar to Shannon in 2 hours flat this Summer......how much time will I shave off when the new motorway opens? Im thinking 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

whitey1 wrote: »
    I did Castlebar to Shannon in 2 hours flat this Summer......how much time will I shave off when the new motorway opens? Im thinking 20 minutes

Think 30 minutes

New sign at kiltiernan 09/09/17IMAG2307_zps6pvjgtll.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

New sign at kiltiernan 09/09/17IMAG2307_zps6pvjgtll.jpg
    This sign is wrong, Gort should be signed using the M18 also as the M18 is the fastest route from Kilternan to Gort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

marno21 wrote: »
    This sign is wrong, Gort should be signed using the M18 also as the M18 is the fastest route from Kilternan to Gort.
    The signage situation is becoming a complete farce. Who is overseeing the permanent signage for this project??? The waste of resources is completely unacceptable and IMO, heads need to roll!

The kilmore roundabout 09/09/17IMAG2317_zpsydzy0xym.jpgstart of the tuam bypassIMAG2318_zpsbvrnrl5g.jpg

Middle Man wrote: »
    The signage situation is becoming a complete farce. Who is overseeing the permanent signage for this project??? The waste of resources is completely unacceptable and IMO, heads need to roll!

Here's another cock up sign one at the start of the new m18IMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpgsign two the start of the tuam bypassIMAG2210_zpsymwziadt.jpgthese signs are 53 kms apart sign one should have sligo 166kms

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Thanks for all the updates.
    We are so close at this stage, but do they ever open motorways ahead of the official opening day? I know the M6 opened early due to the floods, just idly hoping !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Here's another cock up sign one at the start of the new m18IMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpgsign two the start of the tuam bypassIMAG2210_zpsymwziadt.jpgthese signs are 53 kms apart sign one should have sligo 166kms

I've often wondered if motorway signs give the distance to the turn off rather than the distance to the destination. If a place was 11km ahead but the turn off was 1 km ahead a sign with 11 km could be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Roundabouts everywhere.

We need the Germans to come in and design our roads for us.

• Advertisement

Roundabouts everywhere.

The original plan for the Tuam Bypass was worse - there was to be at least another roundabout if not two along the bypass itself. I don't find the current layout too bad - perhaps Kilmore should have been grade separated, but at least the pedestrian/cycle traffic is now elevated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlfleming

I used an iPhone to navigate to the registration point for Sunday’s cycle in Tuam and noticed that the Tuam bypass is live on Apple maps now. It’s used if you navigate e.g. from Claregalway to Sligo.

Best of luck to anyone cycling the motorway route tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Isambard wrote: »
    I've often wondered if motorway signs give the distance to the turn off rather than the distance to the destination. If a place was 11km ahead but the turn off was 1 km ahead a sign with 11 km could be misleading.
    That's why they have signs 2 km before each exit saying which roads and destinations the exit leads to. As far as I'm aware, these on-line route confirmation signs always show the distance from the sign to the final destination (give or take a few kilometres, as the signs in your post show), never the distance to the relevant exit.

Roundabouts everywhere.

give me roundabouts any day over brain dead traffic lights that make you wait for the wind to pass!

Roundabouts everywhere.

There's only three on this project the kilmore roundabout and the mountpotter roundabout both on the tuam bypass and the one at rathmorrissy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

one at rathmorrissy

Should have been a cloverleaf :(

Should have been a cloverleaf :(

A cloverleaf would have been more expensive,what we have is much better rathmorrissy 02/09/17IMAG5722_zpscucz8bhl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Was a cloverleaf not picked because they wanted to have a service station on the roundabout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also cloverleafs + weaving + Irish driving = no

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Was a cloverleaf not picked because they wanted to have a service station on the roundabout too.
    A cloverleaf (continental style) would be no better - there'd still be conflicts between the right turn movements. Cloverleafs are old fashioned at this stage IMO. Perhaps an Irish style figure 8 junction might have been better - there was a lot of space to construct a very large version of such.

Advertisement