Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

m17 wrote: »
    Here's another cock up sign one at the start of the new m18IMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpgsign two the start of the tuam bypassIMAG2210_zpsymwziadt.jpgthese signs are 53 kms apart sign one should have sligo 166kms

Steel must have been dear for the new M18, Why is there only two poles hanging up the M18 sign compared to three on the new N17? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Cycled the length of it today. Superb construction job - well done to all involved!

Tough windy conditions for the cycle but the surface was so smooth. The wind seemed to change direction a bit to hit us both directions!

Got to park on the Tuam Bypass and drive half of it, another great job.

Was surprised to see such a prominent sign for the Galway Racecourse before the Galway/M6 turn off, considering it only really pulls a crowd for one week of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlfleming

Great to do the 100km cycle today, though conditions were tough with strong wind and regular squally showers. It’s definitely the smoothest surface for a long distance cycle I’ve ever done. The route felt very familiar thanks to all the great posts by M17 and others on this forum — thanks again all.

Cycling over Rathmorrisey was tough in both directions for me because of the open height and the heavy wind.

I felt a sense of opportunity lost at the Tuam end by not connecting the M17 and the N17 with at least a minimal flyover. That roundabout will be very busy at times and a pain for through traffic. Though not as busy as Doughiska with all the extra traffic arriving there once the whole scheme is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Well done to the 2000 cyclists who took part in today's event not the best of daysIMAG2327_zps3xqxvzos.jpgsome of the cyclists going through the rock cut at ballybanagher 7kms form tuamIMAG2323_zpsu2egxcby.jpg

paul2013 wrote: »
    Steel must have been dear for the new M18, Why is there only two poles hanging up the M18 sign compared to three on the new N17? :rolleyes:
    Two thick poles have the same strength as three thinner ones, I suspect it's because different contractors did the job and specified different methods of mounting the poles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

paul2013 wrote: »

No other reason than the green sign being wider than the blue sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Cycled the 100km (104km to be precise!) too, great turnout, surface super in most parts, a bit patchy just after interchange towards Gort, my God it was windy coming back up Annagh Hill, good olde drag there too, actually many drags that you'd never notice in a car whizzing along at 120km, absolutely terrific piece of infrastructure for the west, very lucky to have this given that cities #2-3 in this country are still not connected by motorway - that's another story!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Had the the pleasant and some not so pleasant (driving wind rain and hail!) experience of cycling the entire length of the motorway yesterday. The surface was a dream to cycle on and if the wind was behind us you could have free wheeled all the way! Super piece of construction and can't wait to drive it in just over 2 weeks time! Like Benbecul97 said, there are some serious drags up to Rathmorrisy and up to annagh hill when travelling north which you mightn't notice in a car but on a bike into a north westerly wind, we were all feeling it yesterday!
    Anyway roll on the 27th :-) and well don to the thousands who braved the weather yesterday and became part of history!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kingcon28

Anyone any idea the distance from Gort to rathmorrisey interchange? Also distance from rathmorrisey to end of N6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Do you (Ora any other cyclist) have a GPS track log of the route, possibly from a sports tracking app? That would help us refine the geometry of the road on OpenStreetMap.

Thanks!
    Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Cycled the 100km (104km to be precise!) too, great turnout, surface super in most parts, a bit patchy just after interchange towards Gort, my God it was windy coming back up Annagh Hill, good olde drag there too, actually many drags that you'd never notice in a car whizzing along at 120km, absolutely terrific piece of infrastructure for the west, very lucky to have this given that cities #2-3 in this country are still not connected by motorway - that's another story!

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    Do you (Ora any other cyclist) have a GPS track log of the route, possibly from a sports tracking app? That would help us refine the geometry of the road on OpenStreetMap.

Thanks!

I have a GPX file of the route from Gort to Tuam from my cycle. Just cant figure out how to send it to you via PM as i havent sent any attachments before on Boards! If you let me know i can send it or pm me your email and i can email

kingcon28 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea the distance from Gort to rathmorrisey interchange?
    Also distance from rathmorrisey to end of N6?
    25km ish
    12km ish

mackerski wrote: »
    Do you (Ora any other cyclist) have a GPS track log of the route, possibly from a sports tracking app?

I've attached a GPX from the cycle. The cycle started a couple of hundred meters from the roundabout in Tuam. For the southmost 8km on the Gort end the cyclists were all on the southbound side of the motorway, before returning cyclists could cross to the northbound side.

I'll PM you a link to find loads more tracks via Strava, you migth be able to average out over a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

What is the official opening date now???
    Also in travelling from Killarney to Sligo, Gort was normally a good stop off point for coffee, food etc as it is approx half way. Can anyone suggest a good point to stop close to motorway in future rather than come off at Gort. i.e what is best junction to exit at for facilities???

Can anyone suggest a good point to stop close to motorway in future rather than come off at Gort. i.e what is best junction to exit at for facilities???

Ballindine is pretty good. That'll be about 45 minutes on from Gort now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

I know this has probably been answered a million times but a quick search does not bring up any actually answers.

Why is the new M17/M18 motorway so far outside Galway city? Surely it would have made more sense to put it closer so to fix the Claregalway issue and thus basically fully replace the N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

user1842 wrote: »
    I know this has probably been answered a million times but a quick search does not bring up any actually answers.

Why is the new M17/M18 motorway so far outside Galway city. Surely it would have made more sense to put it closer so to fix the Claregalway issue and thus basically replace the N17.

Since you mention that I hope they re-programe the traffic lights in Claregalway so that less time is giving to the Oranmore road so there will be less delays while on the current N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I only just saw this thread now, I regularly have to travel Tralee to Ballinasloe which involves taking the M7 as far as Nenagh and then heading North towards Borrisokane, Portumna etc. I'm guessing I can now take the motorway pretty much all the way now from Adare to Ballinasloe?

Also in travelling from Killarney to Sligo, Gort was normally a good stop off point for coffee, food etc as it is approx half way. Can anyone suggest a good point to stop close to motorway in future rather than come off at Gort. i.e what is best junction to exit at for facilities???

September 27th
    Gort -Junction 16 - will still be your best bet. No facilities (yet!) at junctions 17/18/19

Westwing in tuam might be a good option for grub as its just off the roundabout at start of tuam bypass / end of the motorway

• Advertisement

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm guessing I can now take the motorway pretty much all the way now from Adare to Ballinasloe?

You can, slightly longer but motorway all the way
    Limerick to Ballinasloe via Nenagh-Borrisokane-Portumna - M7-N52-N65 = 108km
    Limerick to Ballinasloe via Ennis-Gort-Rathmorrissy - M18-M6 = 130km

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A motorway service area near Rathmorrissey servicing the M6, M17 and M18 will open in 2019. Until then perhaps a Tuam may be your best bet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    You can, slightly longer but motorway all the way
    Limerick to Ballinasloe via Nenagh-Borrisokane-Portumna - M7-N52-N65 = 108km
    Limerick to Ballinasloe via Ennis-Gort-Rathmorrissy - M18-M6 = 130km

Did the M7-N52 drive recently. It'll definitely be worth doing the extra 20km on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Did the M7-N52 drive recently. It'll definitely be worth doing the extra 20km on the motorway.

Yeah the roads around Borrisokane are bloody awful.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

user1842 wrote: »

Why is the new M17/M18 motorway so far outside Galway city? Surely it would have made more sense to put it closer so to fix the Claregalway issue and thus basically fully replace the N17.

The intention is for it to service traffic to/from both Dublin and Galway on the M6 to/from Gort and Tuam. In trying to service all M6/M17/M18 traffic movements, it obviously has to compromise over an alignment that would prioritise M17 & M18 traffic to/from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

ELCAT2009 wrote: »

Westwing in tuam might be a good option for grub as its just off the roundabout at start of tuam bypass / end of the motorway
    Gort is still a good option if you get off at junction 16 and head down to the topaz( or whatever it is now). Apart from that if you go through Tuam you have plenty of options like moreish in the Texaco, Restore in the Topaz and Corrib oil in the second topaz. Then if you don't want to go through Tuam keep going for Ballindine which has plenty options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I did Cork to Athlone at the weekend, via the N52... next time, it will be motorway all the way for me.(except for the Cork bit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

m17 wrote: »
    the first sign on the new m18
    IMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpg

destinations in parentheses - what exactly is the criteria? I assumed it meant the destination isn't on this particular route, but none of those are on the M18 so why isn't Galway in brackets too.

And more generally now that many towns are bypassed, how do you decide which ones are "on" the route? e.g. on the N11, Wicklow Town is always in brackets, but Arklow isn't. You have to leave the motorway to get into both of them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

loyatemu wrote: »
    destinations in parentheses - what exactly is the criteria? I assumed it meant the destination isn't on this particular route, but none of those are on the M18 so why isn't Galway in brackets too.

And more generally now that many towns are bypassed, how do you decide which ones are "on" the route? e.g. on the N11, Wicklow Town is always in brackets, but Arklow isn't. You have to leave the motorway to get into both of them.

Legal destination or not - Galway is legal destination of N18 (terminal destination). Oranmore, Sligo and Dublin are not

Wicklow was never on the N11 so I presume it was never made a destination on the N11, or the R772 (this has changed slightly since the new M11 has gobbled up some of the old N11)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

marno21 wrote: »
    Legal destination or not - Galway is legal destination of N18 (terminal destination). Oranmore, Sligo and Dublin are not

Wicklow was never on the N11 so I presume it was never made a destination on the N11, or the R772 (this has changed slightly since the new M11 has gobbled up some of the old N11)

what's a "Legal Destination" so? (EDIT - I see you're talking about the N18; so effectively the M6 into Galway is also legally the M17 and M18?)

re: the N11 I suspect it's based on where the road used to go, which is obviously a great system for roadsigns.

Advertisement