Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

loyatemu wrote: »
    what's a "Legal Destination" so? (EDIT - I see you're talking about the N18; so effectively the M6 into Galway is also legally the M17 and M18?)

re: the N11 I suspect it's based on where the road used to go, which is obviously a great system for roadsigns.

Yes - destinations of routes are defined by law.

The M6 from Rathmorrissey to Galway is a multiplex - it's effectively M6 (M17/M18), or legally N6 (N17-N18)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've seen the brackets used in the UK but don't recall seeing them on the continent. Personally I think they're pointless and confusing and should be scrapped.

My understanding is that the places in brackets are destinations that you have to turn off at some point to reach, for example going west from Athlone a town like Gort would be in brackets on the M6 west because you need to turn off to go there via the M18. After the turning, Gort will lose its brackets.

That's the UK way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Taking a break at rathmorrissy 10/09/17IMAG6788_zpsh4audu7r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

This is great. I can see the location where the directions came together onto the southbound carriageway. I’ve realigned things based on what you’ve provided, estimating for now the missing northbound alignment.

No need to provide more tracks - these ones seem solid enough and they align with my drone surveys of two of the junctions.

Thanks again. Results are on OSM, though caching May continue to show you an old version for a while.
    J o e wrote: »
    I've attached a GPX from the cycle. The cycle started a couple of hundred meters from the roundabout in Tuam. For the southmost 8km on the Gort end the cyclists were all on the southbound side of the motorway, before returning cyclists could cross to the northbound side.

I'll PM you a link to find loads more tracks via Strava, you migth be able to average out over a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

m17 wrote: »
    Taking a break at rathmorrissy 10/09/17

F**k me. I always assumed you were joking about the bike!

Great job by the way M17

EmptyTree wrote: »
    F**k me. I always assumed you were joking about the bike!

Great job by the way M17

It's done over 7500kms over the past 32 months a few brush tyres along the way but it's been some journey thanks again yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Taking a break at rathmorrissy 10/09/17IMAG6788_zpsh4audu7r.jpg

I guess this means the end of the Western Rail Corridor!:D

The m17 at ballybanagher 29/01/15IMAG0366_zpshtfqla39.jpg10/09/17IMAG2327_zps3xqxvzos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Probably already asked but when is it actually open to traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

September 27th

Some of the cyclists leaving tuam heading for gort on the m17 10/09/17IMAG5768_zps5pjdrj3n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    September 27th

That's a lot sooner than recently thought...I'd see dates mentioned October and even end Nov. Great to see it opening sooner if it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

road_high wrote: »
    That's a lot sooner than recently thought...I'd see dates mentioned October and even end Nov. Great to see it opening sooner if it's ready.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/gort-tuam-motorway-open-ahead-schedule-next-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've seen the brackets used in the UK but don't recall seeing them on the continent. Personally I think they're pointless and confusing and should be scrapped.
    I agree. They are pointless. Yet another silly UK'ism that we imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

plodder wrote: »
    I agree. They are pointless. Yet another silly UK'ism that we imported.

How are they silly? They tell you that destination isn't on the road you are on, you have to take another road before reaching that destination.

Reading through threads on Boards recently, I can't believe the amount of silly remarks made towards signage, a lot of motorists really need to brush up on their signs.

Cycled the 100km (104km to be precise!) too, great turnout, surface super in most parts, a bit patchy just after interchange towards Gort, my God it was windy coming back up Annagh Hill, good olde drag there too, actually many drags that you'd never notice in a car whizzing along at 120km, absolutely terrific piece of infrastructure for the west, very lucky to have this given that cities #2-3 in this country are still not connected by motorway - that's another story!
    The hill approaching annagh hillIMAG2242_zpsrvykmjln.jpg

Annagh hill 12/09/17IMAG2306_zpsqqxheytq.jpg

What is the official opening date now???
    Also in travelling from Killarney to Sligo, Gort was normally a good stop off point for coffee, food etc as it is approx half way. Can anyone suggest a good point to stop close to motorway in future rather than come off at Gort. i.e what is best junction to exit at for facilities???

So tomorrow fortnight you'll have no towns between adare and Miltown,speaking of milltown, sheridans is a great stop for food,next time your leaving killarney don't forget to pick up Marno21, I'm sure he'll love a spin on the new motorway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have edited the thread title to make it known widely that there's 2 weeks to go.
    So tomorrow fortnight you'll have no towns between adare and Miltown,speaking of milltown, sheridans is a great stop for food,next time your leaving killarney don't forget to pick up Marno21, I'm sure he'll love a spin on the new motorway

Believe me I'll have it well travelled at that stage ;)

• Advertisement

The flyover at Kilcloghans on the tuam bypass 11/09/17IMAG5488_zpspy6jwkch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So all traffic coming into Galway on the new road from Munster will join up the final part of the Galway-Dublin motorway.

Will the junction at the end of the Galway-Dublin motorway be chaos at rush hour so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

So all traffic coming into Galway on the new road from Munster will join up the final part of the Galway-Dublin motorway.

Will the junction at the end of the Galway-Dublin motorway be chaos at rush hour so?

Yeap, it already tends to back up pretty bad. You'll also have all the old N17 traffic coming from near and north of Tuam coming in that road now.

They have extended the right-turn lane after than roundabout for traffic going to Parkmore, but don't see that making a huge difference.

Those coming from Roscam, Doughiska etc will find it even more difficult than normal to get onto that roundabout as there is a steady stream of 2 lanes coming off the motorway onto the roundabout and taking a 3pm exit. They should block the motorway traffic from doing that 3pm exit on the outside lane of the roundabout.

They should block the motorway traffic from doing that 3pm exit on the outside lane of the roundabout.

I posted about this on a Galway City thread before - do you think this would be a viable solution to stop motorway traffic using the wrong lane and clogging up that roundabout?
    It's quite easily solved. Extend that splitter island to reduce the roundabout to 1 lane for going right. There is no legitimate reason for any car to be driving through that area (marked in red).

389122.jpg

End of the m17 at tuam 28/10/16IMAG2109_zpst1kburnu.jpg13/09/17IMAG1840_zps8od46v4r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Kevwoody wrote: »
    How are they silly? They tell you that destination isn't on the road you are on, you have to take another road before reaching that destination.
    What's the point of that? The road network is exactly that - a network. Why do you need some special indication that you might have to take a turn onto a different road? It's particularly pointless on motorways, where regardless of your destination you have to take another road to get to it.

Why does no other country do it?

You'll also have all the old N17 traffic coming from near and north of Tuam coming in that road now.

You won't have all the old N17 traffic J o e. It will depend entirely on where you need to go in the city. Some people will still use the old N17(N83). Why would someone commuting daily from say Belclare to the University/Dangan, and currently using the N17(N83), switch to using the M17//M6? I know I wouldn't. After a few months, and things settle down, it will be very interesting to see how busy the N17(N83) is.

You won't have all the old N17 traffic J o e.

You finished reading that sentence a bit too early.... "all the old N17 traffic coming from near and north of Tuam". ;)

You finished reading that sentence a bit too early.... "all the old N17 traffic coming from near and north of Tuam". ;)

Huh?? No. I read it all. I was in Belclare last Saturday and it was very near Tuam....:pac:

• Advertisement

Why would someone commuting daily from say Belclare to the University/Dangan, and currently using the N17(N83), switch to using the M17//M6? I know I wouldn'.

I suspect it might well be quicker to do that trip via the M17/M6 around busy times. It's a longer distance but you're avoiding Claregalway.

As you say it will be interesting to see how freed up the N17 becomes.

Advertisement