Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

m17 wrote: »
    M18 junction 16 gort looking towards Limerick 15/09/17IMAG2354_zps5ne3ctqy.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2355_zpsrzqn1855.jpgstarting tonight thus barriers will be pulled up after eight years than line painting and cats eyes and the gantry sign and that's it only 12 days to go 4pm the 27/09/17 roll on
    More great pics M18. You are badly needed on the M11 Gorey Oylegate forum !
    Surely they will need to re-surface the section as well as re-line it after they lift the concrete median that currently forces traffic to exit onto that roundabout ? It will leave a very ugly mark, and the surface at the end of the M18 is beginning to look a bit worn anyway.

I now see the exit is a LILO, and does not lead to a roundabout, unless there's one off to the left somewhere.
    Doesn't alter the fact that the surface of the M18 mainline looks a bit dog-eared near the barriers !

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

On the M/17 there is a signpost for Baile Clair nothing else. I wonder how many people know what Baile Clair is ? I feel for the motorists especially our tourists who haven't a clue about Irish language and might be looking for a signpost to Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

VR6 wrote: »
    More great pics M18. You are badly needed on the M11 Gorey Oylegate forum !
    Surely they will need to re-surface the section as well as re-line it after they lift the concrete median that currently forces traffic to exit onto that roundabout ? It will leave a very ugly mark, and the surface at the end of the M18 is beginning to look a bit worn anyway.

That concrete barrier is only sitting on top of the Tarmac, unlike the central barrier. There's nothing wrong with the surface that a good sweep and wash won't fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Kevwoody wrote: »
    That concrete barrier is only sitting on top of the Tarmac, unlike the central barrier. There's nothing wrong with the surface that a good sweep and wash won't fix.

Just thinking the same thing, it's a small enough area I'd say a few runs of the washer/sweeper truck and the line painting will do the job, it'll be good as new and I doubt the contractors are going to start spending their hard earned profit margin on that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I now see the exit is a LILO, and does not lead to a roundabout, unless there's one off to the left somewhere.
    Doesn't alter the fact that the surface of the M18 mainline looks a bit dog-eared near the barriers !

It's not a LILO, it's a dumbell with long on/ off ramps.. The photo looks to have been taken from the overbridge which has a roundabout at each end.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Gort,+Co.+Galway/@53.0744541,-8.8287952,543m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b780080a03b9d:0xa00c7a997319840!8m2!3d53.0666432!4d-8.8187485?hl=en

It's not a LILO, it's a dumbell with long on/ off ramps.. The photo looks to have been taken from the overbridge which has a roundabout at each end.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Gort,+Co.+Galway/@53.0744541,-8.8287952,543m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b780080a03b9d:0xa00c7a997319840!8m2!3d53.0666432!4d-8.8187485?hl=en
    I see, yes. I meant the immediate junction with the M18 mainline which is a LILO or trumpet type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M18 junction 16 gortIMAG1588_zpsgbjzu8gq.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

GALWAY: There is a 2.5km queue approaching Clarinbridge on the N18 Galway/Limerick Rd southbound.

GALWAY: It’s heavy on the N17 Galway/Sligo Rd northbound approaching Claregalway. Further north, it’s very slow going into Tuam, with delays almost back to the Belclare turn-off.

GALWAY: There are some delays on the N84 Galway/Castlebar Rd northbound going into Headford.

Only one more Friday of this!

Sorry if this at bit off topic they have changed the signs just before the coolagh roundabout this is wear the n67 will endIMAG2376_zpsaxtl2dr6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry if this at bit off topic they have changed the signs just before the coolagh roundabout this is wear the n67 will endIMAG2376_zpsaxtl2dr6.jpg
    This is not off topic at all, it's part of the M17/M18 project residual works. Thanks for the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

marno21 wrote: »
    Only one more Friday of this!

Tuam was a disaster this evening. Can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

So is the m18 south of gort closed for a few days?

The m17 at laraghmore 15/09/17IMAG2377_zpsixrwbgie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Tuam was a disaster this evening. Can't come soon enough.

Some would argue it has always been and will continue to be after the bypass. It's more than a road can fix. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Some would argue it has always been and will continue to be after the bypass. It's more than a road can fix. :-)
    But at least you can leave the town quicker

f2 wrote: »
    But at least you can leave the town quicker

Or not enter the town at all.

The Kilmore roundabout 16/09/17IMAG2380_zpsusdmqthq.jpg

The m17 7kms form tuam 10/09/15IMAG0700_zps77iky3n8.jpg10/09/17IMAG2327_zps3xqxvzos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

What the hell is that monstrosity?? Awful, at lease they could have written it in English. Pathetic.

• Advertisement

What the hell is that monstrosity?? Awful, at lease they could have written it in English. Pathetic.
    If it's like any other locations with motorway ahead signs, there's an English version a few metres before the Irish one.

I thought that there was no longer a requirement to erect those advisory signs any more as road users should already know these rules, or ate the people in that part of Galway considered a bit backward.

Reminds me of when a road in England was renamed from A45 to A14, in Cambridgeshire they erected signs informing road users "A14, formally A45" In Suffolk they put up signs saying "A14 was A45"

MOD: All posts relating to bypassing Galway have been moved to the relevant thread. No further discussion in this thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I have never understood why the government chose such an unattractive and difficult-to-read font for the Irish text on road signs. The English and Irish portions should be in the same font, like in Wales.
    Anyway, to answer your question more directly, it's the motorway restrictions sign. There's probably an English language version a few metres out of shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Pathetic is right Joedomvince. There probably hoping that 1 or 2 % of drivers might be able to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Pathetic is right Joedomvince. There probably hoping that 1 or 2 % of drivers might be able to read it
    Nothing pathetic about having signs in two languages in a country with two legal languages (Irish first, and English secondary). It's perfectly sensible and very common across the world.
    Although I see they made a spelling mistake or two on the sign. :^|

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

I think more than 2% or so of Irish people ur Irish speaking people will understand this .having said that I think it should be dual .and isn't this part of the road in the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nothing pathetic about having signs in two languages in a country with two legal languages (Irish first, and English secondary). It's perfectly sensible and very common across the world.
    Although I see they made a spelling mistake or two on the sign. :^|

I wish my Irish was better it was good when I was in school 18 years ago but I stopped reading or learning or even speaking it so I forget tonnes.

Regarding signs displaying two languages I have no problem with that. It is both our legal languages but most people are like me learned it in school and just forgot about it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I have never understood why the government chose such an unattractive and difficult-to-read font for the Irish text on road signs. The English and Irish portions should be in the same font, like in Wales.
    Anyway, to answer your question more directly, it's the motorway restrictions sign. There's probably an English language version a few metres out of shot.

Totally agree. Having the English version all in uppercase is poor too. Both languages should be in the same font, like the font used in the UK, and colour could be used to distinguish between the two like in Scotland (where the Gaelic version is in yellow on green signs and in green on white signs).

That motorway restrictions sign is no longer a requirement so maybe it is more a statement on the standard of motorist expected to frequent this motorway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I have this to say:

English is the spoken language in this country and as a citizen thereof, I expect the signage to be worded accordingly. Yes, keeping the Irish language alive is a good thing and should be promoted where practical, but doing so at the expense of the majority who speak English is not acceptable. We expect foreign nationals who settle here to learn English and quite rightly so, but why should Irish speakers not have to compromise and accommodate the language that is spoken by the majority. English wording should be mandatory for all road signage where written communication is required.

• Advertisement

red bull wrote: »
    Irrelevent - thats an overcrowded pole in a town or village. On the motorway a list of the village near to an exit would be helpful

Next exit 2km

ROSCOMMON
    CLAREGALWAY
    ABBEYKNOCKMOY
    MOUNTBELLEW
    TURLOUGHMORE
    CORROFIN
    BALLYGLUNIN
    MONIVEA

How tall would you say that sign would be? How would it be safe for drivers to read all that at 120km/h?

I agree Abbeyknockmoy should be on the list. But Roscommon (N63 terminal destination), Claregalway (R354 terminal destination) & Abbeyknockmoy (closest settlement on N63) should be signed. Not all these villages that are barely signposted from the N63 anyway and would have very little traffic.

Advertisement