Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Middle Man wrote: »
    I have this to say:

English is the spoken language in this country and as a citizen thereof, I expect the signage to be worded accordingly. Yes, keeping the Irish language alive is a good thing and should be promoted where practical, but doing so at the expense of the majority who speak English is not acceptable. We expect foreign nationals who settle here to learn English and quite rightly so, but why should Irish speakers not have to compromise and accommodate the language that is spoken by the majority. English wording should be mandatory for all road signage where written communication is required.

Of course there's an English Sign, it's just not visible in that photo!

Having the sign only in Irish would be absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

marno21 wrote: »
    Next exit 2km

ROSCOMMON
    CLAREGALWAY
    ABBEYKNOCKMOY
    MOUNTBELLEW
    TURLOUGHMORE
    CORROFIN
    BALLYGLUNIN
    MONIVEA

How tall would you say that sign would be? How would it be safe for drivers to read all that at 120km/h?

I agree Abbeyknockmoy should be on the list. But Roscommon (N63 terminal destination), Claregalway (R354 terminal destination) & Abbeyknockmoy (closest settlement on N63) should be signed. Not all these villages that are barely signposted from the N63 anyway and would have very little traffic.
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Pathetic is right Joedomvince. There probably hoping that 1 or 2 % of drivers might be able to read it
    I have this to say:

English is the spoken language in this country and as a citizen thereof, I expect the signage to be worded accordingly.  Yes, keeping the Irish language alive is a good thing and should be promoted where practical, but doing so at the expense of the majority who speak English is not acceptable.  We expect foreign nationals who settle here to learn English and quite rightly so, but why should Irish speakers not have to compromise and accommodate the language that is spoken by the majority.  English wording should be mandatory for all road signage where written communication is required.
    I have this to say about Irish and the M17: Irish is legally our national language, with English secondary. Not only is the Irish language a cornerstone of our unique cultural identity, it is a language that is alive and kicking, both in a cultural and legal sense, spoken daily across our country. The fact that English is more widely spoken does not diminish the right of Irish speakers (and every Irish citizen) to receive state services in Irish instead of English - especially on a motorway serving a Gaeltacht. Expecting a speaker of our national language to give up their rights seems wrong to me, and there would (rightly) be uproar if that was demanded of us English speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Some would argue it has always been and will continue to be after the bypass. It's more than a road can fix. :-)
    f2 wrote: »
    But at least you can leave the town quicker
    Or not enter the town at all.
    ....or ate the people in that part of Galway considered a bit backward.

What utopias do you people imagine you've originated from or dwell in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Colour would probably be a better way to distinguish languages, but people would find something else to complain about then. If anything, lower case fonts are easier to read than words written all upper-case. So, I've never really understood that complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

bagels wrote: »
    Perfection is far from where I live, but perhaps common sense could be installed in the minds of the people charged with planning, progression of the city!!

There's another (old) thread, where road signs have been discussed in detail, but it appears that the proposed design change was scrapped, probably because of the recession at the time.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057078598

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Distance signs form tuam to the coolough roundabout, the mountpotter roundaboutIMAG2274_zpsrzbzykv8.jpg1km form the kilmore roundaboutIMAG3269_zpsdaxjw7n1.jpgannagh hillIMAG3662_zps9vplzlfv.jpgrathmorrissyIMAG2753_zpsy460mbsb.jpg3kms form the coolough roundaboutIMAG2367_zps6cxmpa5i.jpg

The m18 at parkvetva looking towards rathmorrissy 17/09/17IMAG2352_zpsk0htq11m.jpglooking towards gortIMAG2353_zps1q2tojce.jpg

The flyover at owenbristy on the m18 12/02/162017-09-12_12-37-47_zpsmjhy0mrs.jpg17/09/17IMAG2382_zpsq8o4t3pr.jpg

• Advertisement

The m18 at parknacuappuil looking towards gort 17/09/17IMAG2345_zpslcofg4hi.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2344_zpslo8dtacj.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M6 eastbound closed from Coolagh roundabout to J19 nightly from 9pm-6am for the next 4 nights

Signage changes?

M6 eastbound closed from Coolagh roundabout to J19 nightly from 9pm-6am for the next 4 nights

Signage changes?
    Have they issued an updated road closure order for the M18 to allow for resurfacing and removal of the barriers? The only order I've come across is from when the road was supposed to open in October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have they issued an updated road closure order for the M18 to allow for resurfacing and removal of the barriers? The only order I've come across is from when the road was supposed to open in October.

M18 Limerick/Galway Rd is closed northbound for works from between J15 Crusheen and J16 Gort until Friday (22nd). Diversions will be in place via the old Crusheen/Gort Rd (R458).

Signage changes?

Here are the signs that are to be replacedIMAG2385_zpsyxuyjabi.jpg2IMAG2386_zpsreiwpst5.jpg3IMAG2387_zpsqexbv117.jpg4IMAG2388_zpsjogzqkit.jpg5IMAG2389_zpslpts1fb2.jpg6IMAG2390_zpsem1oka7x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

But at least you can leave the town quicker
    bagels wrote: »
    Perfection is far from where I live, but perhaps common sense could be installed in the minds of the people charged with planning, progression of the city!!

I assumed you f2, like some others here, were passing a snide remark about the town I live in. If my assumption is wrong then I apologise to you.

The m18 at carvandoora looking towards gort 19/09/17IMAG2351_zpslzbwymdw.jpgcarvandoora looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2350_zpsegsky5h9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Pathetic is right Joedomvince. There probably hoping that 1 or 2 % of drivers might be able to read it
    I have this to say:

English is the spoken language in this country and as a citizen thereof, I expect the signage to be worded accordingly.  Yes, keeping the Irish language alive is a good thing and should be promoted where practical, but doing so at the expense of the majority who speak English is not acceptable.  We expect foreign nationals who settle here to learn English and quite rightly so, but why should Irish speakers not have to compromise and accommodate the language that is spoken by the majority.  English wording should be mandatory for all road signage where written communication is required.

If you do not like the sign that is in our native language, then read the one in English. How is having one in both language's at the expense of the other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

muddle84 wrote: »
    If you do not like the sign that is in our native language, then read the one in English. How is having one in both language's at the expense of the other?

Where's the English reference to Claregalway???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

There are eleven official languages in South Africa, should each language have its own sign? No of course not.

The vast majority of their population speak English so signs should be in English same applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Which Airport are those a sign too? Shannon or Knock, bearing in mind Galway airport is closed! BTW thanks once again for all the hard work put into posting these photo's up, they truly are beautiful, as you know from the Western Rail Corridor threads, this new motorway at long last is the final death knell of the Rail Corridor argument, and hopefully we will see lots of cars with bikes on the back of them using this motorway having used the Western Rail Trail from Enniskillen to Athenry on the route of the closed railway. This motorway is truly brilliant now lets see the section to Sligo built and after that from Sligo to the Bundoran by-pass this is what will inject economic activity into the west.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

There are eleven official languages in South Africa, should each language have its own sign? No of course not.

The vast majority of their population speak English so signs should be in English same applies here.

Actually, in South Africa signs tend to alternate between English and Afrikaans. At least in the areas I've been to. Regardless, Ireland is not South Africa. We have two languages, just like Canada. It makes perfect sense to have Irish road signs and English roads signs on every motorway (including the M17).

As for the Claregalway/Baile Chláir question raised in another post, under Irish law there is no town along the M17 officially known as Claregalway. The Irish version of the name is the only legally recognised name. This is compatible with our constitution, which puts Irish pre-eminent over English.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Actually, in South Africa signs tend to alternate between English and Afrikaans. At least in the areas I've been to. Regardless, Ireland is not South Africa. We have two languages, just like Canada. It makes perfect sense to have Irish road signs and English roads signs on every motorway (including the M17).

As for the Claregalway/Baile Chláir question raised in another post, under Irish law there is no town along the M17 officially known as Claregalway. The Irish version of the name is the only legally recognised name. This is compatible with our constitution, which puts Irish pre-eminent over English.

Ok so that's the law but a bit of common sense should prevail. Travelled that route yesterday and sign at entrance to Claregalway is in both languages . Shouldn't need a constitutional referendum to allow signs to be put up referring to a place as it's commonly known

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If I'm at the roundabout at the Galway clinic. Where is the nearest entrance to this road. Do I head out the dublin motorway or do I go down the current limerick Road?

I

Where's the English reference to Claregalway???
    I'm referring to the motorway rules sign in Tuam. Claregalway is in the Gaeltacht so it doesn't need a English reference, but I see your point with regard to Claregalway. I don't agree with it but that's just my opinion, maybe its a biased one due to my views on the Irish language.

If I'm at the roundabout at the Galway clinic.  Where is the nearest entrance to this road.  Do I head out the dublin motorway or do I go down the current limerick Road?
    Head out the M6 Dublin motorway, the intersection with the new motorway is approximately 10km out the M6.

If I'm at the roundabout at the Galway clinic. Where is the nearest entrance to this road. Do I head out the dublin motorway or do I go down the current limerick Road?

Head out the dublin motorway for 12kms then you come to rathmorrissy this is where Ireland's biggest roundabout will be just eight days to opening roll on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I

I'm referring to the motorway rules sign in Tuam. Claregalway is in the Gaeltacht so it doesn't need a English reference, but I see your point with regard to Claregalway. I don't agree with it but that's just my opinion, maybe its a biased one due to my views on the Irish language.
    Well as long as the motorway rules are also in English, then that's OK - thought it might be another one of those Gaeltacht things.

Don't get me wrong - I do like the Irish language, but it has been misused as a status symbol and also as a key to priviledge over others - for example, so many high profile TDs are teachers and that's due to the requirement to learn Irish.

The m18 at turloughtrassa looking towards rathmorrissy 19/09/17IMAG2348_zpsava172dq.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards gortIMAG2349_zpsyxypze4a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

westtip wrote: »
    Which Airport are those a sign too? Shannon or Knock,
    ... or Sligo, since that's what it appears to say (in the last photo at least)?

That is one easily fixable part of road signage standards. Eg.

428283.png

Advertisement