Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

As for the Claregalway/Baile Chláir question raised in another post, under Irish law there is no town along the M17 officially known as Claregalway. The Irish version of the name is the only legally recognised name. This is compatible with our constitution, which puts Irish pre-eminent over English.
    On that point, the provision you refer to doesn't have any practical effect in this context, as the constitution also allows for either English or Irish to be used exclusively for any purpose. So, it's just a matter of legislation, that it's the way it is, rather than it being baked into the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Had to use the old road from Crusheen up to Gort today because of the M18 north shut down.

It really brought home just how crap the old road is/was when compared to the M18. We really were a seriously backward country when that was the standard of our main roads a decade ago. It is a shockingly bad twisty road in places.
    Tourists most have been absolutely stunned when they had to drive it while stuck behind a tractor...

I have to go to Cork Thursday and I was thinking of the road from Limerick down and the quality of that. Its an embarressment we still have roads like that serving as main arteries between cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Anyone have pictures of the barrier removal at Jctn 16 Gort after all those years?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

paul2013 wrote: »
    Anyone have pictures of the barrier removal at Jctn 16 Gort after all those years?

They'll surely leave you through to have a look if you have the blue lights on?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

M17, we need you again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

M17, we need you again!
    M17, are you going to do a video of the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

plodder wrote: »
    On that point, the provision you refer to doesn't have any practical effect in this context, as the constitution also allows for either English or Irish to be used exclusively for any purpose. So, it's just a matter of legislation, that it's the way it is, rather than it being baked into the constitution.

The simple solution is that the 1956 Gaeltacht boundaries need to be revised, they were outdated in parts even when they were agreed in 56 (eg. parts of Mayo added due to political lobbying etc.), boundaries should be reduced to Category A/Category B areas:

gaeltacht-2007.png

Claregalway only works out as something like 5-10% Daily speakers, it was in stage of advance linguistic shift in 1956 and should never had been included in the legal boundaries of the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M17, we need you again!
    Junction 16 gort looking towards Limerick 19/09/17IMAG2391_zpsujigl1wc.jpglooking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2392_zps8xdkupjv.jpg
    After eight years those barriers are gone,also gone is that end of motorway sign 188 hours to opening now

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

Thanks for the pics M17. Looks like they are finished with the tie-in works. Is there any chance of them reopening the crusheen to gort section before Friday?

nordydan wrote: »
    M17, are you going to do a video of the whole thing?

Yes there will be a video of the tuam bypass and the m17/m18 motorway it will be about 32 mins long can't wait to drive a 120kph over the m6

• Advertisement

Looks like it's ready to reopen, I suspect they allowed a bit of extra closure time in case they had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Can't believe all of this, have folowed the thread from the start! This was a dream for most of college, and now it exists, with less just over 9 months til I gradutate :rolleyes:.

The improvements in the Galway southbound is incredible when you think about it over the last 15 or so years!

It will be interesting to see public transport's uptake of the route!

I'm assuming the X51 will update the timetable in due course, but it will be interesting if CityLink will expand?

Realistically, this is the final nail in the coffin Galway to Limerick traffic utilising the train......

Looking forward to travelling it Friday week!

marno21 wrote: »
    They'll surely leave you through to have a look if you have the blue lights on?

I'm actually stuck at the ploughing this week that's why I'm asking.

Has anyone seen the plaque location that Shane Ross will be pulling open declaring the road open? As I'm after asking my ban Garda colleague and she said the road will be open at 2pm or 3.30pm after the dinner with the minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Has anyone seen the plaque location that Shane Ross will be pulling open declaring the road open? As I'm after asking my ban Garda colleague and she said the road will be open at 2pm or 3.30pm after the dinner with the minister.

So the honour falls to Lord Ross. Wonder if he's been to the west before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    Yes there will be a video of the tuam bypass and the m17/m18 motorway it will be about 32 mins long can't wait to drive a 120kph over the m6
    ...at Rathmorrissy, the only place in Ireland where two separate 120kph motorways will cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Middle Man wrote: »
    ...at Rathmorrissy, the only place in Ireland where two separate 120kph motorways will cross.

What about the M7/M9?

Plaque location is at kiltiernan it will open at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Truckermal wrote: »
    What about the M7/M9?

They don't cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

kevin.m wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics M17. Looks like they are finished with the tie-in works. Is there any chance of them reopening the crusheen to gort section before Friday?

Wondering the same thing myself, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Who cares if he brings a motorway on his first visit! (In response to roadfan's post about Shane Ross)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Truckermal wrote: »
    What about the M7/M9?
    They merge as does the M7/M8 and M4/M6 (Y Interchange). The M17/M18 is a four arm motorway intersection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They don't cross?

Will we ever see a fully graded in all directions M9/7 junction? Would be a fantastic addition in my opinion as someone who regularly travels between Kilkenny, Carlow and Newbridge, Kildare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

road_high wrote: »
    Will we ever see a fully graded in all directions M9/7 junction? Would be a fantastic addition in my opinion as someone who regularly travels between Kilkenny, Carlow and Newbridge, Kildare.

The M7/M9 just needs a loop around for North bound N9 to go South onto M7, a simple bridge would do it north of the merge. All other routes are already grade separated.

Also, Rathmorrisey is not completely grade separated although it is nearly. There are Give Way signs at the roundabout instead of merge lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

bagels wrote: »
    I assumed you f2, like some others here, were passing a snide remark about the town I live in. If my assumption is wrong then I apologise to you.
    Not that it belongs in this thread but I too live in the Town, and wish it could grow into the market town it is suppose to be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Aerial View of the new Tuam Bypass - posted by "Drone Works Ireland".

The m18 at coldwood looking towards gort 19/09/17IMAG2396_zpsgorhghnz.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2395_zpszmjrisvh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

J o e wrote: »

At the end of the Tuam bypass, with the foot bridge, once you cross the round about, is it immediately then the m17 and the start of motorway restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

J o e wrote: »

At the end of the Tuam bypass, with the foot bridge, once you cross the round about, is it immediately then the m17 and the start of motorway restrictions?

It is, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

with the uplift in the economy what are the volumes expected to be on the road? will there be stretches that will be quiet compare to others?

Advertisement