Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    with the uplift in the economy what are the volumes expected to be on the road? will there be stretches that will be quiet compare to others?

The Rathmorrissey flyover will be the quietest section of motorway in the country. The rest, it'll take a few weeks to determine especially regarding congestion at the Coolagh roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

roadmaster wrote: »
    with the uplift in the economy what are the volumes expected to be on the road? will there be stretches that will be quiet compare to others?

I imagine the road to be as (if not more) quiet than the current M6 upto Doughiska.

Cant see traffic volumes on the road itself TBH. Will know all in a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

loyatemu wrote: »
    what's a "Legal Destination" so? (EDIT - I see you're talking about the N18; so effectively the M6 into Galway is also legally the M17 and M18?)

re: the N11 I suspect it's based on where the road used to go, which is obviously a great system for roadsigns.

Dunno if it's been already mentioned in this thread but as and from next week as is the official policy and wisdom of the NRA/TII the "OLD" N17 and N18 will be downgraded to regional routes probably R458 (to Oranmore) and R459 (Claregalway to Tuam) - Dunno if such logic and policy extends to them warranting a less rigorous maintenance (including salting) and resurfacing regieme than when they were national routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

pjordan wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been already mentioned in this thread but as and from next week as is the official policy and wisdom of the NRA/TII the "OLD" N17 and N18 will be downgraded to regional routes probably R458 (to Oranmore) and R459 (Claregalway to Tuam) - Dunno if such logic and policy extends to them warranting a less rigorous maintenance (including salting) and resurfacing regieme than when they were national routes?
    The r458 will end at kilcolgan,then the n67 takes over and that will go to the coolough roundabout,the old n17 will be the n83 and BTW the r459 is in doolin Co clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

This is news to me. Will the N17 be downgraded all the way from Galway City to Tuam? So an 80km/h max speed limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

J o e wrote: »
    This is news to me. Will the N17 be downgraded all the way from Galway City to Tuam? So an 80km/h max speed limit?

N83 so 100kph outside of the villages and towns it passes through

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No, Galway County Councils threw their toys out of their pram so the N17 Tuam - Galway will become the N83.

Other changes:
    N18 Gort-Kilcolgan - R458
    N18 Kilcolgan-Doughiska - N67
    N66 Gort-Loughrea - R380
    N18 Oranmore-Claregalway - R381
    N63 Loughgeorge-Annagh Hill - R354
    N17 Tuam - TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

m17 wrote: »
    The r458 will end at kilcolgan,then the n67 takes over and that will go to the coolough roundabout,the old n17 will be the n83 and BTW the r459 is in doolin Co clare

So the old R446 dual carriageway from Galway to Oranmore (previously N6) is being upgraded again to a National Secondary route?

Does the N17 reclassification begin in Galway city out to Tuam.

I suppose it's not as bad as a downgrade to regional status (except for Gort to Kilcolgan) , but nonetheless the old Sawdoctors N83 doesn't have the same ring to it as the N17!!!

So the old R446 dual carriageway from Galway to Oranmore (previously N6) is being upgraded again to a National Secondary route?

Does the N17 reclassification begin in Galway city out to Tuam.

I suppose it's not as bad as a downgrade to regional status (except for Gort to Kilcolgan) , but nonetheless the old Sawdoctors N83 doesn't have the same ring to it as the N17!!!

Yes, the N67 will now run all the way as far as the N6 Coolagh roundabout. The N83 will go from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout at Tuam.

The N17 from Tuam to Galway should become a regional road. It has zero national significance and has a parallel motorway. No other primary route was downgraded to a national secondary upon motorway bypass opening (bar routes where a national secondary terminated at the road to be downgraded such as N77 Durrow and N65 Loughrea)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, the N67 will now run all the way as far as the N6 Coolagh roundabout. The N83 will go from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout at Tuam.

The N17 from Tuam to Galway should become a regional road. It has zero national significance and has a parallel motorway. No other primary route was downgraded to a national secondary upon motorway bypass opening (bar routes where a national secondary terminated at the road to be downgraded such as N77 Durrow and N65 Loughrea)

I wonder why GCC fought so hard for national status. Regional would be fine, with the huge caveat that it should become a regional road with a 100km/h speed limit on the good sections. R status has been used to justify far too many stupidly slow 80km/h limits on very good quality roads that were formerly national primary, despite the fact that the national guidelines very specifically state otherwise (see page 45).

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    I wonder why GCC fought so hard for national status. Regional would be fine, with the huge caveat that it should become a regional road with a 100km/h speed limit on the good sections. R status has been used to justify far too many stupidly slow 80km/h limits on very good quality roads that were formerly national primary, despite the fact that the national guidelines very specifically state otherwise (see page 45).
    Because they don't want the hassle of having to maintain it, nor have to fund a possible Claregalway Relief Road should the M17 experiment not work out.

Like most things relating to infrastructure, Galway have to do it differently. As I said before, most councils are graceful of the new road opening, less collisions and cleanups of crashes, and less traffic on R/L roads with ratruns. But to Galway County Council the M17 opening seems to be a nuisance to them.

RATHMORRISSY 20/09/17 looking towards dublinIMAG2402_zpsibhdnfv3.jpgrathmorrissy looking towards galway that's a long slip road coming off the m18IMAG2403_zpseefsj24p.jpgI don't know what I'm going to do come this day week

m17 wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm going to do come this day week
    Take a final block of pictures of the motorway with traffic, to show it being used for its intended purpose. wink.png

Sign changed on the n6 18/09/17IMAG2388_zpsjogzqkit.jpg20/09/17IMAG2400_zpsytams72s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

No, Galway County Councils threw their toys out of their pram so the N17 Tuam - Galway will become the N83.

Other changes:
    N66 Gort-Loughrea - R380
    N17 Tuam - TBC

What about the stretch of N66, at Loughrea, from it's roundabout junction with the R446 and the R349 to the next roundabout junction of the N65 heading either towards Dublin/Portumna and towards the M6? The old OLD N6 through Loughrea is the R446, so what number will be given to that particular western part of the old N6 Loughrea bypass?

Other changes:
    N66 Gort-Loughrea - R380
    N17 Tuam - TBC

What about the stretch of N66, at Loughrea, from it's roundabout junction with the R446 and the R349 to the next roundabout junction of the N65 heading either towards Dublin/Portumna and towards the M6? The old OLD N6 through Loughrea is the R446, so what number will be given to that particular western part of the old N6 Loughrea bypass?

Seems to me it could either become the final stretch of the R349, or is it possible it could become just a spur of the N65?

Seems to me it could either become the final stretch of the R349, or is it possible it could become just a spur of the N65?
    The stretch through the town will likely become R446 and the rest will become either R349/R380.

The stretch through the town will likely become R446 and the rest will become either R349/R380.

Good man, thanks Marno.

M17 junction 19 annagh hill looking towards rathmorrissy 20/09/17IMAG2405_zpsek42x1gt.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2404_zpskfbihtwt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

I'm not going to the opening ceremony next week unfortunately but it's rumoured that Minister Ross has been lobbied by numerous TDs to continue the dual carriageway to Sligo from Tuam. Expect an announcement at the opening ceremony before he goes for scoops with Galway Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

paul2013 wrote: »
    I'm not going to the opening ceremony next week unfortunately but it's rumoured that Minister Ross has been lobbied by numerous TDs to continue the dual carriageway to Sligo from Tuam. Expect an announcement at the opening ceremony before he goes for scoops with Galway Council

One to look forward to if it happens. One way or another there will be ramping up of capital expenditure with ten year plans etc. coming into play. Great to see Tuam Sligo happen but a lot of competing ones out there too like Cork Limerick and Dunkettle roundabout Cork. Sth link Cork eastbound grinding to z halt at certain times of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't feel we need a dual carriageway to Sligo. They would be better off just fixing the bad sections of the existing road to a fairly straight road with hard shoulders either side like the Claremorris/Knock bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

I was travelling on the M6 to Galway today and I passed under the 3 bridges for the M17/18 interchange. Just wondering why was the interchange built so far away from Galway?. I didnt time it but it was at Ieast 10 mins before I got to the roundabout at the Galway Clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Med101007 wrote: »
    I was travelling on the M6 to Galway today and I passed under the 3 bridges for the M17/18 interchange. Just wondering why was the interchange built so far away from Galway?. I didnt time it but it was at Ieast 10 mins before I got to the roundabout at the Galway Clinic.
    Because that's where the motorways meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Med101007 wrote: »

It was never built as such to service as a road for Galway city it was built to service Tuam to Gort and further.

What you are looking for is a outer Galway ring road which will be built eventually in the future.

Roadfan wrote: »
    One to look forward to if it happens. One way or another there will be ramping up of capital expenditure with ten year plans etc. coming into play. Great to see Tuam Sligo happen but a lot of competing ones out there too like Cork Limerick and Dunkettle roundabout Cork. Sth link Cork eastbound grinding to z halt at certain times of day.

The next thing Galway needs is the N6 bypass and the Moycullen bypass. Dual carriageway to Sligo is not a national priority at present. N17 improvements in Sligo and a bypass of Charlestown should come before Tuam-Knock

The next thing Galway needs is the N6 bypass and the Moycullen bypass. Dual carriageway to Sligo is not a national priority at present. N17 improvements in Sligo and a bypass of Charlestown should come before Tuam-Knock

The Moycullen bypass will be complete before the Galway bypass is started which is wholly wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

No such thing as National Priorities. All the N roads not yet upgraded are national priorities. As you have stated by saying what Galway needs.....If you travel Limerick - Cork regularly you will see that as a national priority, if you live in Sligo you will see the N17 in particular from Knock to Sligo as a priority and the N15 from Sligo to Bundoran bypass a national priority, not to mention the N4 from Collooney to Castlebaldwin a national priority, although actually even though I live in Sligo I see the N4 in Longford as a greater national priority. A case can be made for any piece of road improvement on the N roads as national priority its just where the jobs to be done sit in the queue!

Apologies is slightly off topic, just responding to post

• Advertisement

Sign changes on the n6 18/09/17IMAG2388_zpsjogzqkit.jpg21/09/17IMAG2406_zpsriiwq00w.jpg18/09/17IMAG2390_zpsem1oka7x.jpg21/09/17IMAG2407_zps47wdipaz.jpgoranmore to claregalway is now the r381(sorry about the orange ball getting in the way)

Advertisement