Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are Limerick and Galway now the 2 best connected cities in the state.

Direct train link and connected by a completely uncontested motorway. No other 2 cities can say this. The only let down is how traffic is dumped onto a roundabout in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Are Limerick and Galway now the 2 best connected cities in the state.

Direct train link and connected by a completely uncontested motorway. No other 2 cities can say this. The only let down is how traffic is dumped onto a roundabout in Galway.

Depends on the definition. Both Motorways end a few miles short of the city. To be a stickler, the M6 motorway designation dies after Oranmore and the M18 is gone after the Shannon Airport exit, followed by alot of meandering poor quality dualler.

Dublin-Belfast by the definitions is closer to being truly Motorway if you include the tunnel. Poor DC sections in the north granted but it takes you very very close to both city centres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

marno21 wrote: »
    This becomes an issue with the N83 in Tuam as Claregalway is signed for the N83, yet the best way to get to Claregalway is via the M17, especially when traffic coming northbound approaching Tuam could've used J19 on the M17 to access Claregalway instead of going all the way up to Tuam to head back down the N83.

You can see a particularly severe example of this on the Finglas exit of the M50, which is signed for Derry. It’s a terrible way to get there (better via M1/N33), but it’s the legal destination of the N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

People from south mayo would have traveled to Dublin via Tuam, Moylough, Mountbellew and into Athlone via the bog road. This summer especially with all the match traffic going to croker, the difference in taking these roads versus the motorway from Galway was minimal. The handy motorway driving will suit most although there is an additional toll involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Depends on the definition. Both Motorways end a few miles short of the city. To be a stickler, the M6 motorway designation dies after Oranmore and the M18 is gone after the Shannon Airport exit, followed by alot of meandering poor quality dualler.

Dublin-Belfast by the definitions is closer to being truly Motorway if you include the tunnel. Poor DC sections in the north granted but it takes you very very close to both city centres

Ah here, poor meandering dualler.. it takes 10 minutes to get from Shannon to Limerick at a constant 100km/h. What would you call the mess of A1 north of the border with the median crossings and the 60mph restrictions around Dromore and Banbridge?

Given that we don't do urban motorways in Ireland, what we have is as good as it'll get.

• Advertisement

Ah here, poor meandering dualler.. it takes 10 minutes to get from Shannon to Limerick at a constant 100km/h. What would you call the mess of A1 north of the border with the median crossings and the 60mph restrictions around Dromore and Banbridge?

Given that we don't do urban motorways in Ireland, what we have is as good as it'll get.

Indeed. That section of N18 has no at grade junctions and for the most part, isn’t of bad quality.

It’s amazing how many duallers in the UK have at grade junctions and also a 70mph speed limit. These simply wouldn’t be allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

You forgot the 4 roundabouts at Sprucefield as well! N18 sections still a lot better

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. That section of N18 has no at grade junctions and for the most part, isn’t of bad quality.

It’s amazing how many duallers in the UK have at grade junctions and also a 70mph speed limit. These simply wouldn’t be allowed here.

The only poor part of the N18 is J4-J6 basically the merge from the city after the tunnel past Bunratty. The rest is upto motorway standard bar the odd T junction or access, and the lack of alternative route between J7 and J6.

The A1 is shocking quality given it's the primary road between Dublin and Belfast and also between Newry and South Down and Belfast. It looked incredible compared to the Irish N1 back in the 80s/90s but to say the Irish M/N1 has exceeded it is an understatement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

hi

silly q, is the whole stretch of the new road from Gort to Tuam opening this week ?

Or only part of it?

hi

silly q, is the whole stretch of the new road from Gort to Tuam opening this week ?

Or only part of it?

The whole lot including the Tuam bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

whitey1 wrote: »
    Regarding the usage on this road....I was listening to Midwest and the presenter claimed that a lot of people from Mayo would use this new route as a way to get to Dublin. Some Mayo people were already using that route and hopping on the Motorway outside Galway. With the Tuam and Claregalway bottlenecks now gone from the equation I can see how that may be an attractive route. Any thoughts?

I'd certainly be advising Mayo people that it's now the way to go, an even better excuse (than as it was before) for avoiding Roscommon at all costs!

Why not Oranmore, Clarinbridge or Kinvara? They can add Ennistimon to the signs in Kilcolgan. It just doesn't make sence to me to see Ennistimon on a sign entering Galway City heading west.
    None of those would be particularly useful - If you are seeing that sign you have already driven past the Oranmore exit at the junction before.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

m17 wrote: »
    Can't wait for that to start I'll be there bring you the best pics and updates as its going to be 90kms

Are you really moving south to cover the M20 construction? When is construction on that motorway due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Are you really moving south to cover the M20 construction? When is construction on that motorway due to start?

Most definitely I'll be moving south to cover the m20 when Shane Ross turns the sod I'll be there,hopefully we won't have to long to wait

m17 wrote: »

Most definitely I'll be moving south to cover the m20 when Shane Ross turns the sod I'll be there,hopefully we won't have to long to wait

Shane Ross will be in a nursing home before that sod is turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

pg633;104778008
    Why not Oranmore, Clarinbridge or Kinvara? They can add Ennistimon to the signs in Kilcolgan. It just doesn't make sence to me to see Ennistimon on a sign entering Galway City heading west.
    None of those would be particularly useful - If you are seeing that sign you have already driven past the Oranmore exit at the junction before.
    Why isn't N67 Ennistimon on the Oranmore exit then?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Regarding the usage on this road....I was listening to Midwest and the presenter claimed that a lot of people from Mayo would use this new route as a way to get to Dublin. Some Mayo people were already using that route and hopping on the Motorway outside Galway. With the Tuam and Claregalway bottlenecks now gone from the equation I can see how that may be an attractive route. Any thoughts?

I agree...people in south Mayo will use Tuam to access Dublin via the new road. Many already do via Mountbellew or Oranmore. Personally I am only 18 mins drive to Tuam.

Anyone know the distance from Tuam to Dublin on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Jesus wept!

Kevwoody wrote: »

Jesus wept!
    It's a legit question, <snip>

It's a legit question, <snip>

Just because you don't understand that there is a good system in place which determines what is put on road signs and where they are located, ie the Traffic Signs Manual, doesn't mean that a "gimp" designed them, or they are "pathetic", or "unbelievable" as you keep saying, it simply means you don't understand it. Which doesn't mean every sign is wrong!

• Advertisement

It's a legit question, <snip>.
    Again coming from the east the M18 and N85 would be the way to go to presumably.

It is signposted from the M18.

It's a legit question, <snip>.

Just because you don't understand that there is a good system in place which determines what is put on road signs and where they are located, ie the Traffic Signs Manual, doesn't mean that a "gimp" designed them, or they are "pathetic", or "unbelievable" as you keep saying, it simply means you don't understand it. Which doesn't mean every sign is wrong!
    That does not answer my question. Why does it not say N67 Ennistimon on the Oranmore exit but it is on a sign 2 miles up the motorway at the clinic?

That does not answer my question. Why does it not say N67 Ennistimon on the Oranmore exit but it is on a sign 2 miles up the motorway at the clinic?

Because that will be the start of the N67 once the motorway opens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

When is construction on that motorway due to start?

There is no date for construction as the whole process has to start from the beginning again. Optimistically you'd be looking at around 5 years, realistically a lot longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Jesus wept!

They want you to go down the M18 and exit onto the N85 at Ennis south for Ennistimon.

Planning hasn't started yet so construction is a bit away yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

tobdom wrote: »
    Regarding the usage on this road....I was listening to Midwest and the presenter claimed that a lot of people from Mayo would use this new route as a way to get to Dublin.  Some Mayo people were already using that route and hopping on the Motorway outside Galway. With the Tuam and Claregalway bottlenecks now gone from the equation I can see how that may be an attractive route. Any thoughts?

I'd certainly be advising Mayo people that it's now the way to go, an even better excuse (than as it was before) for avoiding Roscommon at all costs!
    It really depends on what part of Mayo you are coming from or going to. If you're within half an hour of Tuam in south Mayo, EG Claremorris, most definitely it has to be the fastest route. But if you are along the N5 or north of it i'm not convinced that it will be the fastest route. 
    What parts of Roscommon cause you hold ups? Ballaghadereen is bypassed and I've never had any hold ups between Frenchpark and Tarmonbarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

muddle84 wrote: »
    It really depends on what part of Mayo you are coming from or going to. If you're within half an hour of Tuam in south Mayo, EG Claremorris, most definitely it has to be the fastest route. But if you are along the N5 or north of it i'm not convinced that it will be the fastest route. 
    What parts of Roscommon cause you hold ups? Ballaghadereen is bypassed and I've never had any hold ups between Frenchpark and Tarmonbarry.

The N5 is pretty cat in Roscommon in particular west of Longford and through the Tulsk area, it is a poor quality dangerous road a far better solution for this part of the country would be a new N5 alignment that goes north of Tulsk area and connects with the N4 on the Boyle/Carrick section would add a few miles to the total journey from say Castlebar/Westport but mean less new road actually needed and make better use in terms of capacity of the Dromod Roosky bypass. Mind you the real issue on the N4 is the stretch from the end of the dromod/Roosky bypass to Longford and from Longford to Mullingar by pass, this is quite busy with the N4 and N5 traffic merging at Longford and it needs addressing. Dangerous road very difficult to overtake safely with little of no hard shoulder for people to pull in and let you pass safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

This becomes an issue with the N83 in Tuam as Claregalway is signed for the N83, yet the best way to get to Claregalway is via the M17, especially when traffic coming northbound approaching Tuam could've used J19 on the M17 to access Claregalway instead of going all the way up to Tuam to head back down the N83.

Huh?? Why would someone go all the way up to Tuam, pass J19, only to head back down the N83 to get to Claregalway??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

westtip wrote: »
    muddle84 wrote: »

The N5 is pretty cat in Roscommon in particular west of Longford and through the Tulsk area, it is a poor quality dangerous road a far better solution for this part of the country would be a new N5 alignment that goes north of Tulsk area and connects with the N4 on the Boyle/Carrick section would add a few miles to the total journey from say Castlebar/Westport but mean less new road actually needed and make better use in terms of capacity of the Dromod Roosky bypass.  Mind you the real issue on the N4 is the stretch from the end of the dromod/Roosky bypass to  Longford  and from Longford to  Mullingar by pass, this is quite busy with the N4 and N5 traffic merging at Longford and it needs addressing.  Dangerous road very difficult to overtake safely with little of no hard shoulder for people to pull in and let you pass safely.
    A better option would be to improve the N5 up to Tulsk and improve the N61 from Tulsk to Athlone. Then you are diverting traffic from longford and onto a motorway all the way to Dublin. 
    From Google maps
    Castlebar to Dublin via Longford: 234km, 2h59min
    Castlebar to Dublin via Tulsk & Athlone: 251km 3h3min

Advertisement