Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

I don't if anyone can answer here but would anyone have an idea of when the new road will be added to Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

We are nearly there! As a daily commuter from Tuam direction to Gort this is a godsend to me.

I have been watching the thread almost on a daily basis and have never been as interested in any thread.

I sincerely want to thank M17 for all his input. He has been an amazing source of detailed information and I have learnt so much.
    I wish you the very best M17 and years of happy , safe driving for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Is the road open from tomorrow morning, or at some point tomorrow after an official ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

marno21 wrote: »
    Claregalway should be signed ONLY via the M17 in Tuam, as it is the correct way to get there. If Claregalway is signed via the M17, the N83 becomes a useless national route as it serves 0 destinations.

This is the level of nonsense we have to deal with due to whingers in Galway County Council only moaning about the M17 because they get extra maintenance costs for these feeder routes to one off houses. The existing N17 has no national relevance after this new motorway opens and should be signed as such. The new motorway is designed to discourage traffic from the old N17 not encourage it.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

tobdom wrote: »
    Is the road open from tomorrow morning, or at some point tomorrow after an official ceremony?

Opening ceremony at 11am at junction 17 (M18) Kilternan.
    M17/M18/Tuam Bypass open to traffic at 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Found this on YouTube from 2015, seems like a good time to reshare... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Advice on what is the best route from Limerick to Westport when this opens? R332->N84->R330 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

wtd2008 wrote: »
    We are nearly there! As a daily commuter from Tuam direction to Gort this is a godsend to me.

I have been watching the thread almost on a daily basis and have never been as interested in any thread.

I sincerely want to thank M17 for all his input. He has been an amazing source of detailed information and I have learnt so much.
    I wish you the very best M17 and years of happy , safe driving for us all.
    I just want to say a big thanks to everyone for all the great comments over the past 32 months,to Chris533976 for getting the ball rolling back in July 07,to the moderators marno 21 you must know every road in this country,spacetweek for your work on www.Irishmotorysinfo.com keep up the good work and to all you guys for making this the best roads forum on board's happy and safe motoring form 4pm tomorrow all the best your m17

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tydea

Hello everyone.
    Do you know guys how many km will be from Gort to Galway when new motorway will be opened?
    Thank you for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone know the projected drivetime from Limerick City Centre to Galway City Centre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

tydea wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    Do you know guys how many km will be from Gort to Galway when new motorway will be opened?
    Thank you for help.

M18 gort junction 16 to the gpo in Galway 45kmsIMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpg

marno21 wrote: »
    Claregalway should be signed ONLY via the M17 in Tuam, as it is the correct way to get there. If Claregalway is signed via the M17, the N83 becomes a useless national route as it serves 0 destinations.

This is the level of nonsense we have to deal with due to whingers in Galway County Council only moaning about the M17 because they get extra maintenance costs for these feeder routes to one off houses. The existing N17 has no national relevance after this new motorway opens and should be signed as such. The new motorway is designed to discourage traffic from the old N17 not encourage it.

I'm not really seeing the logic in going on the M17 if going Tuam to Claregalway to be honest. What route are you suggesting?

I'm not really seeing the logic in going on the M17 if going Tuam to Claregalway to be honest. What route are you suggesting?
    Turning off at Annah Hill and going via Turloughmore?

I don't see the point either - I would be inclined to stay on the old road.

Time-wise I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Where have all the daily workers gone now? On the dole until the next project?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Shot by Robert Lally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Time-wise  I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:
    Is farm machinery required to use the hard shoulder though?

muddle84 wrote: »

Yes, slow moving vehicles should pull onto the hard shoulder to allow traffic build ups to pass. And its manners and the decent thing to do!

Time-wise I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:

You are far more likely to get behind slow moving traffic going via turloughmore and its a much more difficult road to overtake on. THere are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17".

As an aside is there any junction between Annah hill and Rathmorrissey?

You are far more likely to get behind slow moving traffic going via turloughmore and its a much more difficult road to overtake on. THere are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17".

Sure, there are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17" but with the level of traffic coming in the opposite direction its not always that easy to overtake.
    As an aside is there any junction between Annah hill and Rathmorrissey?

No

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Minding their own business. You should try it

That's uncalled for. I am just wondering if Roadstone/Sisk relocated their staff elsewhere now that's the Expressway is complete. My question is no different than the thousands of queries asked on this forum. Can a moderator please confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

That's uncalled for. I am just wondering if Roadstone/Sisk relocated their staff elsewhere now that's the Expressway is complete. My question is no different than the thousands of queries asked on this forum. Can a moderator please confirm?

Your questions all have an underlying tone of smugness, including your last question.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Your questions all have an underlying tone of smugness, including your last question.

How can a question have a tone of smugness?? I've been on this forum for years and have asked/answered many questions.

Yes, slow moving vehicles should pull onto the hard shoulder to allow traffic build ups to pass. And its manners and the decent thing to do!
    I couldn't agree more that it is the decent thing to do when its safe to do so. But is it the law for them to travel on the hard shoulder? ( I am not arguing with you here just curious as to what the law is)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Cut out the sniping. [@ joedomvince and Kevwoody]

Look forward to the opening tomorrow, and enjoy the joy of driving the newest motorway in Ireland from 4 pm tomorrow.

Where have all the daily workers gone now? On the dole until the next project?
    Any of the direct employees of the contractors would have moved onto the next job for that contractor. Any of the agency workers would  have also moved onto the next project for god knows who.
    Why would you think they would go on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Wishing you all a safe journey on the new M17/18 from Tomorrow Wednesday 27th of September 2017 at 16.00hrs . I'd like to thank M17 and his Trojan efforts of producing a Motorway from start to end. I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for your comments about the new road.

Safe driving and heed your speed and safe journey . Yours Paul2013

Any of the direct employees of the contractors would have moved onto the next job for that contractor. Any of the agency workers would  have also moved onto the next project for god knows who.
    Why would you think they would go on the dole?

Thanks. Much appreciated. Just thought perhaps that they may have had to let some guys go if they no longer had work for them. Roll on the Galway bypass I say. Will be at the ribbon cutting tomorrow at 11am. Hope to see a nice crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I regularly travel to Oranmore, I could now do it all motorway bar a few Km M7/M18, it's considerably longer though but might try it Friday for the craic!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Jaysus just been thinking...

Must have been 7 years since the last bit of Motorway was built (barring upgrades on existing road).

Been too long :(

Advertisement