Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Where have all the daily workers gone now? On the dole until the next project?

All the roadbridge lads are gone to center parcs Newcastle wood Co longford which will open may 2019 and btw thanks Robert lally for the final drone footage

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

m17 wrote: »
    All the roadbridge lads are gone to center parcs Newcastle wood Co longford which will open may 2019 and btw thanks Robert lally for the final drone footage

Thanks M17 as usual. Top man! Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

How long will it take to get from Galway to Shannon?

Jaysus just been thinking...

Must have been 7 years since the last bit of Motorway was built (barring upgrades on existing road).

Been too long :(

What about the m11 arklow to rathnew which opened on the 13th of July 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

How long will it take to get from Galway to Shannon?

Doughisca Roundabout to Gort exit will take 21 minutes. It's 31 minutes from the Gort exit to Shannon Airport. So 52 minutes, plus however long it takes to get from where you are in Galway to Doughisca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

The final commute home on the N18 as we know it, and there is no traffic at all through Clarinbridge! Was almost hoping there would be, so I could be frustrated one last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Hespy wrote: »
    Doughisca Roundabout to Gort exit will take 21 minutes. It's 31 minutes from the Gort exit to Shannon Airport. So 52 minutes, plus however long it takes to get from where you are in Galway to Doughisca.

My house is on Taylors Hill so I guess it's approximately 75 minutes from my door to Shannon Airport. Happy Days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I've screengrabbed the Google Maps route from my hometown in Mayo to Galway just in case I can't soon. Will all of the old road still be in use? Can't wait to see the new motorway appear on Maps!

Does the Tuam bypass stretch as far as Milltown or near it? We always hated the road between the two towns, it was so indirect.

Some quick timings from OSM

Gort to Tuam - 31 mins

This is taken right from where the new mway starts in Gort to just off Montpotter RAB
    428958.PNG

Galway (Eyre Sq) to Shannon Airport Terminal - 57 mins
    428959.PNG

For other routes and the impact the new road might have, feel free to try it out here, just make sure to select graphhopper as the routing service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Some quick timings from OSM

Gort to Tuam - 31 mins

This is taken right from where the new mway starts in Gort to just off Montpotter RAB

Galway (Eyre Sq) to Shannon Airport Terminal - 57 mins

For other routes and the impact the new road might have, feel free to try it out here, just make sure to select graphhopper as the routing service

Hmmm, I put in the two destinations I mentioned in my post above and selected graphhopper but it just gave the route that I said I screengrabbed. The M17 isn't mentioned in the directions. Is there any other step I'm missing out on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jaysus just been thinking...

Must have been 7 years since the last bit of Motorway was built (barring upgrades on existing road).

Been too long :(

The M11 between Arklow and Rathnew was a nice whack that opened, 16 km or so. Apart from that I can't think of much beyond upgrades alright.
    hopefully things will keep picking up a pace now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a hot air balloon competition going on in Loughrea at the moment. For those that might like a good view of the motorway opening might be able to hitch a ride.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/100-thousand-euro-boost-loughrea-national-hot-air-balloon-championships-get-underway/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    The M11 between Arklow and Rathnew was a nice whack that opened, 16 km or so. Apart from that I can't think of much beyond upgrades alright.
    hopefully things will keep picking up a pace now.
    Yep the only motorway opened since January 2011 is the M11 Arklow-Rathnew scheme. There was also the M1 widening scheme.

This scheme is the first major scheme to open since July 2015, such a gap between openings hasn't been seen in Ireland since the early 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep the only motorway opened since January 2011 is the M11 Arklow-Rathnew scheme. There was also the M1 widening scheme.

This scheme is the first major scheme to open since July 2015, such a gap between openings hasn't been seen in Ireland since the early 1980s.

Marno, do you know if there is any talk of upgrading the Athlone section of the M6/N6 to motorway? seems mad to have that little gap in the motorway to Galway.

Same question in relation to the section of the N18 between Limerick and Shannon?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Marno, do you know if there is any talk of upgrading the Athlone section of the M6/N6 to motorway? seems mad to have that little gap in the motorway to Galway.

Same question in relation to the section of the N18 between Limerick and Shannon?

Cheers!
    No to either. The Athlone section could be solved by a new section of M6 south of Athlone but this would require a rather large crossing of the River Shannon and it won't get the go ahead given the current queue of schemes.

N18 Limerick-Shannon is a no also, but should be doable if required. In the meantime minor improvements could be made such as the removal of the lethal Hurlers Cross LILO located very close to two junctions that serve the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

No to either. The Athlone section could be solved by a new section of M6 south of Athlone but this would require a rather large crossing of the River Shannon and it won't get the go ahead given the current queue of schemes.

N18 Limerick-Shannon is a no also, but should be doable if required. In the meantime minor improvements could be made such as the removal of the lethal Hurlers Cross LILO located very close to two junctions that serve the area.

That's a pity, and neither are feasibly upgraded on the current route?

One thing that's really annoying is on the last part of the M7/M4/M11 etc coming into Dublin, it is not up to motorway standard. Given the traffic volumes increasing massively recently, will these inevitably have to be upgraded?

The m17 around Corofin then and now 16/02/152016-07-29_01-11-48_zpsaxg9asif.jpg26/09/17IMAG2457_zpsqelh5qud.jpg16/02/152017-03-31_10-58-10_zps9neo5plh.jpg26/09/17IMAG2458_zpsymj3rpck.jpg20/03/15IMAG0129_zps568wompc.jpg16/09/17IMAG1867_zpssowygomz.jpg03/03/162017-09-26_06-40-49_zpsjnpwm1s7.jpg26/09/17IMAG2450_zpsjlnezjg7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Concrete barriers at mountpotter roundabout were removed yesterday. Jus some plastic ones and the fencing left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

whitey1 wrote: »
    This highway is being portrayed as some as a white elephant with detractors saying that there will be very low usership. I think it could get a large Mayo following as a new route to Dublin

From Castlebar to the new on-ramp in Tuam is about 40 mins (taking it real handy) and clear sailing all the way to Dublin from there on the Motorway. Even though it may seem like a wash, there are much fewer opportunities to get tied up going this new way, than there would be going up the N5 through Ballaghadereen and Strokestown.

So if we assume ny logic is sound, would it not make sense that any Mayo traveller who goes through Castlebar on the way to Dublin could benefit from this new route.....Louisburgh, Westport, Newport, Achill etc.

So apart from the time differentials between the various routes, there is also the convenience factor of travelling on the motorway...eg rest areas, service areas, lighting, emergency services.

Given the weather in the West of Ireland, I think there is a greater liklihood of delays travelling on the N5 on a wet day rather than going on the Motorway
    Probably the same idiots who said Knock Airport could never work. IMO, the M17/18 scheme will make such a huge difference to the West and in reasonable time, I predict that the vast majority of this road scheme will be well used.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Bit of a secondary question to the road but I wonder how quickly google maps and the sat nav providers will update for the new route?

I'd be interested to know if they plan for these large developments or if they are reactionary?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

One Last Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

As far as I know Clare County Council have been buying the houses along that section as they become available, so long term I think there are plans to upgrade this section.
    The original plan if I recall correctly was that the M7 would terminate at Cratloemoyle but instead the N18 went on to Rosbrien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

All i can say.

Thanks m 17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Reuben1210 wrote: »

Cheers!

That little gap is the Athlone Bypass and was there long before the Motorway joined it to the East and West.I don't see what the problem is reducing speed from 120 max to 100 max (for those of us who obey the speed limits).I live 15km from it and use it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Middle Man wrote: »
    One Last Time!

'And as we went straight on at Rathmorrissy,
    I could feel a lump in my throat'!

not quiet the same!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Best of luck to all the M18/M17 commuters from tommorow, Le jour de la gloire est arrivé.
    Think of us poor N20 commuters as we crawl behind tractors and slow drivers for the next 10 years minimum.

M17 - its class the way your before and after pics are taken in exactly the same spots - as above - and can be seen from the position of a landmark like a house or tree.

How do you remember the point from where you take the pics at each location to get it so accurate?
    You must have some amount of files/folders on your laptop to file them so that you can access them when needed?

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Will all of the old road still be in use?
    All apart from the bit of the M17 replacing the N17.
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Does the Tuam bypass stretch as far as Milltown or near it? We always hated the road between the two towns, it was so indirect.
    Still there. Bypass only stretches about 1 mile out the N17 from Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

The route is of motorway standard from Gort to the junction at Kilmore, just south of Tuam (at the ‘West Wing’), a distance of 53.2km.

The alignment then continues with a dual carriageway, following a route to the west of Tuam town centre, to its end point on the N17 north of Tuam at Mountpotter, a distance of 4.2km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Hespy wrote: »
    The final commute home on the N18 as we know it, and there is no traffic at all through Clarinbridge! Was almost hoping there would be, so I could be frustrated one last time!

I wish I could say the same thing about Tuam, the traffic was queued well outside the town and toke me a total or 20 minutes from when i stopped in traffic to get to the new roundabout north of Tuam. i can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Advertisement