Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

As far as I know Clare County Council have been buying the houses along that section as they become available, so long term I think there are plans to upgrade this section.
    The original plan if I recall correctly was that the M7 would terminate at Cratloemoyle but instead the N18 went on to Rosbrien.

That's actually true about the M7 that was supposed to start at Cratloemoyle as the R445 begins there but political influence changed that to Rosbrien. As for the Limerick Tunnel tolls should be on the either side of the tunnel and not on both sides of the Clare side of the Shannon. It's currently hampering foreign direct investment in the West of Ireland these tolls on the Clare side of the Limerick Tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's fantastic to see Infrastructure take another giant leap in this country. Another almost 60 km of brand spanking new and safe motorway. By comparison, the North has just over 100 km of motorway in total so this a huge addition in my view. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

paul2013 wrote: »
    That's actually true about the M7 that was supposed to start at Cratloemoyle as the R445 begins there but political influence changed that to Rosbrien. As for the Limerick Tunnel tolls should be on the either side of the tunnel and not on both sides of the Clare side of the Shannon. It's currently hampering foreign direct investment in the West of Ireland these tolls on the Clare side of the Limerick Tunnel

You might elaborate on this "political influence".

It makes perfect sense for the M20, M7 & N18 to intersect at the Rosbrien interchange. The N18 (Southern Ring Road phase 2 section) should be a motorway but that's another story.

Also, the two toll plazas are in Limerick city and not County Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Vanquished wrote: »

It makes perfect sense for the M20, M7 & N18 to intersect at the Rosbrien interchange. The N18 (Southern Ring Road phase 2 section) should be a motorway but that's another story.

Is the main one not in Clare and the other one located in the Occupied West Bank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

Dear M17,
    I have seen the posts in the files of Boards.ie statements by multiple posters that you contributed gloriously on the fields of the M17/M18.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine that would attempt to beguile you from the grief of retiring your bike, camera and drone. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the infinite thanks of the readers of this thread.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of a super thread and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon alter of M17/M18 updates.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
    WildWater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    All apart from the bit of the M17 replacing the N17.

Still there. Bypass only stretches about 1 mile out the N17 from Tuam.

Feck. That's the worst part of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Is the main one not in Clare and the other one located in the Occupied West Bank ?

Both are in Limerick. The Clare county border isn't too far past the main toll but the plaza is definitely in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

mrmanire wrote: »
    Both are in Limerick. The Clare county border isn't too far past the main toll but the plaza is definitely in Limerick.

Correct and right, both in the Occupied territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

It'd be nice if junctions 3,2,1 N18 and 29,28 M7 were renamed to form a coherent Limerick bypass.

Why wasn't phase 2 motorway standard anyway?

It depends on who you talk to. There's a strange hysteria surrounding the northside of Limerick city from certain quarters.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    It'd be nice if junctions 3,2,1 N18 and 29,28 M7 were renamed to form a coherent Limerick bypass.

Why wasn't phase 2 motorway standard anyway?

More than likely because the financiers/operators of the Limerick tunnel were keen to avoid excluding any potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

More than likely because the financiers/operators of the Limerick tunnel were keen to avoid excluding any potential customers.

Potential customers being L drivers who shouldn't be doing anything other than learning? Times have changed from 10 years ago when the likes of myself did the test and driving on L plates was openly excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The NRA is against isolated bits of motorway; at the time of planning the M7/20 around Limerick were N roads.

That is the main reason the Limerick Tunnel and Waterford Bypass are N roads - not the tiny addition of learners and sub-50km/h traffic to earnings.

L1011 wrote: »
    The NRA is against isolated bits of motorway; at the time of planning the M7/20 around Limerick were N roads.

That is the main reason the Limerick Tunnel and Waterford Bypass are N roads - not the tiny addition of learners and sub-50km/h traffic to earnings.

Both the N20 and N7 were reclassified as motorways a year before the tunnel and phase 2 of the ring road were opened. There was no reason not to designate the N18 section as a motorway also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both the N20 and N7 were reclassified as motorways a year before the tunnel and phase 2 of the ring road were opened. There was no reason not to designate the N18 section as a motorway also.

The at time of planning bit is the important bit there. Redesignation of PPP schemes has effectively not happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianberu

1st post here, and its just to say a big thank you to m17. Ive loved all your pictures. Fantastic effort!

looking forward to cutting my ennis knock aiport trip by 30 min :-)

My house is on Taylors Hill so I guess it's approximately 75 minutes from my door to Shannon Airport. Happy Days!!

61 mins according to OSM

Note, OSM timing dont take traffic into account

L1011 wrote: »
    The at time of planning bit is the important bit there. Redesignation of PPP schemes has effectively not happened.

It has actually. PPPs such as the M7/M8 Portlaoise to Castletown/Portlaoise to Cullahill and M6 Ballinasloe to Galway were planned as N roads but reclassified in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

My guess is this road will make Tuam less than 2 hours from Lucan now? Wow. and no need to drive cross country to Athlone wow

sdanseo wrote: »
    Times have changed from 10 years ago when the likes of myself did the test and driving on L plates was openly excused.
    It still is from what I can see on the roads around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

When is the road opening?
    The title says the 27th, the radio says today?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

chrismon wrote: »
    When is the road opening?
    The title says the 27th, the radio says today?

What date is today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

sonnyblack wrote: »
    What date is today?

Where's my coffee. Face palm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

This is brilliant for commuters from Galway to Ennis/Limerick. Just started a job in Limerick two weeks ago commuting from kinvara to Castletroy. People at home looking at me like am crazy but it's not too bad when have motorway most of way - takes me about 1 hr 5 min door to door. Don't think save much time taking exit on new part at Kiltiernan ( Kilcolgan) ? How long is it roughly in time from Kiltiernan exit to Doughiska? I pay for tunnel back and forth every day. Hopefully there will be no other toll! Are there other mad ones like me commuting Galway to limerick for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

chrismon wrote: »
    Where's my coffee. Face palm

No worries. It's all the excitement. This is goes to be a day of days for everyone travelling up and down the Atlantic corridor, not to mention the patient residents of the galway towns that have to endure ridiculous traffic levels for years.

I'd like to echo the sentiments on this thread and sincerely thank M17 for his amazing contribution to this forum. It's literally the first boards thread I look at on my phone/pc it the morning.

Whoever is first on in both directions, can you give us a time estimate on the length of the drive? Happy motoring everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Know I kind of signed off the other night but given the day that's in it I.e today 27 September just like to say that if any of you posters are at the opening today spare a thought for us exiles who can't make it. Thanks again for the updates M17 and also thanks to all who provided a bit of Craic with their comments.

Can't wait to test the new road - Windows open and AC/DC playing Highway to Hell as (jokingly) suggested by M17.

Regards to all farewell to Ardrahan Clarinbridge and of course slán to Baile Chlair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Snapgal wrote: »
    This is brilliant for commuters from Galway to Ennis/Limerick. Just started a job in Limerick two weeks ago commuting from kinvara to Castletroy. People at home looking at me like am crazy but it's not too bad when have motorway most of way - takes me about 1 hr 5 min door to door. Don't think save much time taking exit on new part at Kiltiernan ( Kilcolgan) ? How long is it roughly in time from Kiltiernan exit to Doughiska? I pay for tunnel back and forth every day. Hopefully there will be no other toll! Are there other mad ones like me commuting Galway to limerick for work?

You'd be surprised, there are quite a few people commuting between Galway and Limerick and Cork and Limerick and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Traffic really bad on the oranmore dual carriageway. Are they testing light sequences at Briarhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

The day had finally arrived....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Hespy wrote: »
    Traffic really bad on the oranmore dual carriageway. Are they testing light sequences at Briarhill?

Something has changed anyway. My wifes 50 minute commute from east Galway has just turned into an hour and half the last couple of mornings.

I had Monday off and thought I was being smart waiting till after 9 to pop in to Galway. Hit about mile tail back on the airport road at 9.50. Turned around and headed in the tuam road and hit traffic at kenny motors 5 minutes later. Turned around again and headed to Briarhill via the race course and got through ok. Still traffic beyond sight queued trying to come through on the monivea road. Bizarre stuff.

Advertisement