Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

At last it's really happening today!
    So, who wants to guess when Google Maps will update with the new road? 1 week, 1 month...???

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Something has changed anyway. My wifes 50 minute commute from east Galway has just turned into an hour and half the last couple of mornings.

I had Monday off and thought I was being smart waiting till after 9 to pop in to Galway. Hit about mile tail back on the airport road at 9.50. Turned around and headed in the tuam road and hit traffic at kenny motors 5 minutes later. Turned around again and headed to Briarhill via the race course and got through ok. Still traffic beyond sight queued trying to come through on the monivea road. Bizarre stuff.

If its any consolation, the traffic has increased in every direction. Between volume, crashes, surveys, and protests the N84 has been appalling the last 2 weeks. Something different every day. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone know what time the different sections are opening at

They should all be open at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Hespy wrote: »
    Traffic really bad on the oranmore dual carriageway. Are they testing light sequences at Briarhill?

20 mins added to my commute this morning coming from Athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

westtip wrote: »
    My guess is this road will make Tuam less than 2 hours from Lucan now? Wow. and no need to drive cross country to Athlone wow

Tuam to Dublin is a journey I do with alarming regularly, I would say that this will make the journey to Lucan about 1h 45m

How I have waited for this day... just over 500m from driveway to motorway system, my life just got quite a bit easier what with regular trips to Dublin, South Kildare and Cork/Kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Safe driving all!

Poor Shane might get a cold with all that rain today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

One of the downsides of these openings is traffic jams tend to get pushed out to the next bottleneck, as previous filters that slow down traffic are no longer there.

Adare for example is the first bottleneck on the Dublin Kerry route.

Where do people see traffic getting worse because of this?

Charleville I assume will get some of the brunt southbound as people get there earlier in the evening when travelling from Galway to Cork.

What other potential downsides do people envisage?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

jasper100 wrote: »
    One of the downsides of these openings is traffic jams tend to get pushed out to the next bottleneck, as previous filters that slow down traffic are no longer there.

Adare for example is the first bottleneck on the Dublin Kerry route.

Where do people see traffic getting worse because of this?

Charleville I assume will get some of the brunt southbound as people get there earlier in the evening when travelling from Galway to Cork.

What other potential downsides do people envisage?

Can we stay positive for like 10 seconds the road we've been waiting for is just about to open!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Raisins wrote: »
    Can we stay positive for like 10 seconds the road we've been waiting for is just about to open!!

I heard the spread of sandwiches at the opening ceremony is very poor and the tea is only lukewarm. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

J o e wrote: »
    I heard the spread of sandwiches at the opening ceremony is very poor and the tea is only lukewarm. :pac:

Yeah and,Lord Ross forgot the scissors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The Saw Doctors will not be changing their 'N17' song as it will be referring to a piece of history - makes sense I guess!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0927/907774-galway-motorway/

Scroll down to hear their view...

More about the opening here - the official part is done!

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2017/minister-ross-opens-m17m18-gort-tuam-road-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

RTE with their "The next phase is the Galway bypass"..

Completely unrelated project ye fukcnuts!

And it buried under about 10 articles on a pretty slow news day.

Checking local radio Galway Bay FM and mid west. Thought there might be live coverage but doesn't appear to be

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

Feels like Christmas morning to all those including myself that will use the M17/M18. It will make life a lot easier and hopefully safer for us on a daily basis.

Wonder when the beautiful blue line will appear on Google maps?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There was a crash at the Coolagh roundabout this morning which likely had an effect on traffic flow in the area

It is the next phase in solving Galways congestion issues. It also directly ties in with this scheme as it involves the removal of the major bottleneck for M17/M18 traffic at Doughiska.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Butter wrote: »

They were slow enough to amend the N84 widening and re-alignment. It was at least a month and I had to email a few times. You'd hope on this they'd be fairly quick...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Butter wrote: »
    Feels like Christmas morning to all those including myself that will use the M17/M18. It will make life a lot easier and hopefully safer for us on a daily basis.

The orange line ;) should be there in a day or two. It will likely be marked incorrectly though and the legacy road network won't be fully correct on the map for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

How much time to we think this chops off sligo to limerick drive? Am I being insanely optimistic to think maybe 40 mins? Looking forward to never seeing Tuam or claregalway ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nheaney

Like many others, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I couldn't let today pass without thanking all contributors to this thread over the years, but a special mention must go to M17. As he has said himself many times, this is the place to get the most up to date information!

Been following here since the diggers first arrived on-site - now I can't wait to get on the new road.

Thank you M17!

• Advertisement

LastLagoon wrote: »
    How much time to we think this chops off sligo to limerick drive? Am I being insanely optimistic to think maybe 40 mins? Looking forward to never seeing Tuam or claregalway ever again

About 30 minutes. Anyone know if the ribbon has been cut. Are we there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Where will we turn off for Gort to Galway now? Will it be at the intersection with the M6 outside of Athenry?

LastLagoon wrote: »

Upto an hour at peak times. Limerick-Tuam will now be an hour

Where will we turn off for Gort to Galway now? Will it be at the intersection with the M6 outside of Athenry?

J18, the new junction on the M6 between Athenry and Oranmore

You wont turn off for Gort to Galway now - straight through at Junction 16 Gort then left at Junction 18 for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

Anyone at the official opening? We need photos!

Anyone at the official opening? We need photos!

Pat McGrath was https://twitter.com/patmcgrath/status/912971124887183360

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The r347 tuam to athenry last timeIMAG2427_zpsfgl1rkgt.jpgm17IMAG2458_zpsymj3rpck.jpgform the r347 to the m17 in 4 hours 10 mins I'm counting down the seconds roll on

• Advertisement
Advertisement