Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is great news. Faster safer journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Kiltiernan 27/09/17IMAG6000_zpsbc7t45fi.jpgthey should have put roadbridge frist then sisk in the middle and then langan

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Vanquished wrote: »
    You might elaborate on this "political influence".

It makes perfect sense for the M20, M7 & N18 to intersect at the Rosbrien interchange. The N18 (Southern Ring Road phase 2 section) should be a motorway but that's another story.

Also, the two toll plazas are in Limerick city and not County Clare.

When FG were in the opposition benches, the bridge at CratloeMoyle was supposed to be the start of the M7 but due to the fact that the feared no one would use the Limerick Tunnel due "Learners" been banned from Motorways and instead changed it to a Dual Carriageway and fact the matter is that the Tolls are in both sides of Clare from the old demographics of the Clare - Limerick divide of the River Shannon.
    :rolleyes:

I heard Sean O'Neill of Transport Infrastructure Ireland this morning stating that the next biggest project that that they have in mind is the N6 Galway city Bypass :rolleyes: and the M20 Cork to Limerick :D. So we will not see continuation of a Dual Carriageway of the N17 to Sligo for 10-15 years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

paul2013 wrote: »
    I heard Sean O'Neill of Transport Infrastructure Ireland this morning stating that the next biggest project that that they have in mind is the N6 Galway city Bypass :rolleyes: and the M20 Cork to Limerick :D. So we will not see continuation of a Dual Carriageway of the N17 to Sligo for 10-15 years:(

I'd have no problem with that to be honest.
    While there are parts of that Charlestown to sligo road in bad need of improvement, Galway is coming to a standstill effecting major business and tourism.
    The motorway between Limerick and Cork would also effect far more people one would think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What was this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

kippy wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with that to be honest.
    While there are parts of that Charlestown to sligo road in bad need of improvement, Galway is coming to a standstill effecting major business and tourism.
    The motorway between Limerick and Cork would also effect far more people one would think.
    Yes. Disappointing as it is the projects mentioned are more urgent. Maybe some realignment works on bad stretches might as much as can be hoped for in short or medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And? About 20 k people live in Sligo and the N17 is not even the primary access road (N4 is). Apart from realignment and widening in sections, the existing road will be perfectly adequate as there are about 2 dozen more pressing schemes allover the country that need investment first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lads, like many of you here I have been following this thread from the beginning and am a semi regular poster.

It is not just the reduced travel times that are important here, although I can see why they are the main talking point.

The motorway not only reduces travel time, increases safety and cuts pollution, it also opens up massive opportunities for the west. I think Knock airport will be the biggest winner here.

As other have said, big thanks to M17, never self promoting, never limelight seeking, just consistently taking pictures day after day over the entire route without any fuss. Never complained about the weather or the the fact he (or she, I honestly don't know) had to do this alone. It's refreshing to have all the facts laid out with clear pictures of the progress with out feeling the need to include a quick selfie. The only time m17 broke from his usual style was to honour his trusty bike beside the M17 sign. Well done m17, I know this thread will still be popular for years to come as people will want to look back at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Lads, like many of you here I have been following this thread from the beginning and am a semi regular poster.

It is not just the reduced travel times that are important here, although I can see why they are the main talking point.

The motorway not only reduces travel time, increases safety and cuts pollution, it also opens up massive opportunities for the west. I think Knock airport will be the biggest winner here.

As other have said, big thanks to M17, never self promoting, never limelight seeking, just consistently taking pictures day after day over the entire route without any fuss. Never complained about the weather or the the fact he (or she, I honestly don't know) had to do this alone. It's refreshing to have all the facts laid out with clear pictures of the progress with out feeling the need to include a quick selfie. The only time m17 broke from his usual style was to honour his trusty bike beside the M17 sign. Well done m17, I know this thread will still be popular for years to come as people will want to look back at it.

I wonder about that though?

Given Shannon is bigger, and offering more destinations, its a lot closer for people from Galway, Athlone etc. now.

Would Shannon not be the bigger winner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jasper100 wrote: »

Given Shannon is bigger, and offering more destinations, its a lot closer for people from Galway, Athlone etc. now.

Liverpool, Luton, Bristol, East Midlands, Milan and Gatwick with Aer Lingus for connections. They compliment each other with transatlantic from Shannon and also flights to Heathrow. Knock is now more accessible and closer to Limerick than Dublin. I will certainly be checking Knock when flying, and I wouldn't have before the M17

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

All barriers removed from mountpotter roundabout and signs cleaned of spray cover. Just a garda van blocking the entrance until opening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The biggest winner today is the proposal for a greenway on the closed railway from Athenry to Collooney in Sligo and onward to Enniskillen, which is now a shoe in of an idea despite continued rearguard opposition from councils.

The biggest loser today is West on Track and the Western Rail Corridor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

westtip wrote: »
    The biggest winner today is the proposal for a greenway on the closed railway from Athenry to Collooney in Sligo and onward to Enniskillen, which is now a shoe in of an idea despite continued rearguard opposition from councils.

The biggest loser today is West on Track and the Western Rail Corridor.
    Why are so many people in Ireland passionately anti-rail?

Other countries including the US are actually building railways but no, instead of correcting our laughable planning system and building higher to utilise our railways like other nations, we're closing them. Our motorways are really just getting Ireland out of the dark ages. We now need serious rail investment on top of vital motorway network completion projects such as the M20.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

jasper100 wrote: »

I think it will probably be a wash.....it will also make the trip to Shannon easier and a lot shorter for many in South Mayo and North Galway. It makes the trip to Knock shorter and easier for those living in Galway city (while at the same time making their trip to Shannon shorter as well)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep this thread on M17/M18?Tual bypass. After all this is opening day.

Railways is for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Middle Man wrote: »
    Why are so many people in Ireland passionately anti-rail?

Other countries including the US are actually building railways but no, instead of correcting our laughable planning system and building higher to utilise our railways like other nations, we're closing them. Our motorways are really just getting Ireland out of the dark ages. We now need serious rail investment on top of vital motorway network completion projects such as the M20.

No one would argue that the main lines to Cork, Waterford, Galway, Belfast and Sligo don't need serious investment...that's just not the same as investing in vanity branch lines to connect small towns in Galway, Mayo and Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Junction 16 at Gort getting ready to pull the cones in.

Why is everyone totally against the Rail Corridor along the West of Ireland? It has been plagued with closing it since it reopened. If the foot was put down on the train on the track I'm sure the train would equally compete with Motorway and as for the timetables there as dire as a snails pace and rolling stock should be upgraded to Intercity and not commuter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Why is everyone totally against the Rail Corridor along the West of Ireland? It has been plagued with closing it since it reopened. If the foot was put down on the train on the track I'm sure the train would equally compete with Motorway and as for the timetables there as dire as a snails pace and rolling stock should be upgraded to Intercity and not commuter :pac:

Because it's closed for 41 years and still rots. Can we please keep this forum only to the motorway in question

• Advertisement

MOD: lads no more chat of railways on thread today. We are following the opening of the scheme and railways are not part of this discussion

Use the Western Rail Corridor thread in Commuting &Transport if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Just in regard to the user M17, thanks for all the posts.

Just curious really, were you actively involved and working on this project or are you just a normal joe soap like ourselves on the outside of things (Q may have been asked before so apologies)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

first cars/trucks passing at the rear of my house, Tuam end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

also, the old road from Tuam to Galway is N 17

the motorway being opened is M 17

People are saying oh the N 17 is gone now and the Saw doctors song is no longer fully correct.

But sure the N17 is still there, that wont disappear or am I taking things up wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭gillamandango

Can anyone confirm that it is open at Gort and all the way to Tuam? Thanks, heading that way at 4.30 so hoping its all up and running..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

People are saying oh the N 17 is gone now and the Saw doctors song is no longer fully correct.

But sure the N17 is still there, that wont disappear or am I taking things up wrong ?

From an interview I listened to this morning with one of the band I gather the part of the N17 they had in mind for the song is now subsumed into the M17. Think you can get interview on RTe player

The stretch of road from Tuam to Galway from the song (stone walls, green grass, turning left at Claregalway) that used to be known as the N17 is now the N83.

The road from Tuam to Sligo is still the N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is no longer called the N17 it is now called N83 but is still called N17 from Tuam to Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How much of an effect will this have on the traffic at Baile Chlair(not saying the English version of the town since it is not mentioned on the signposts:))? Will a lot of people coming from North of Baile Chlair now take the M17 and not the old N17 to their jobs/shopping in Galway City?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all the photos and info on this lads, was incredibly informative.

Advertisement