Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Should have built a quadruple stack.

But no, as usual we have to go with the lowest acceptable standard - a roundabout.

It could have been made free-flow with a sight reworking. Unusually for a roundabout, every vehicle will be going 270 degrees around it (unless they are lost) so all that is needed is a third lane around the roundabout, with traffic entering merging to the inner lane a fast as is possible, while traffic leaving at the next exit merges to the outer lane. Proper lines on the road would guide drivers to exit properly with little interference of or from other vehicles.

However, if traffic is light, then the roundabout is probably OK for now.

A bigger question is why was the roundabout at the junction with the Tuam bypass there at all and not a grade separated junction? Why end motorways in roundabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

For anyone looking for comparisons. With an android phone. Itz possible to see your communte the minute every day in "your timeline" so after a fee days or weeks youll be able to see it all. Anf d the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I took the new road home this evening (Oranmore -> Lackagh) to try it out. It looks great - but for me, beyond this novelty try out, it's not a realistic alternative for commuting. It's nearly double the length for my route home (15km versus 30km)!

My wife said Claregalway was a breeze this evening. No traffic at all! I wonder how much of that is due to the likes of me trying out the new road for the one day - will Claregalway be back to a mess again from next week when the novelty wears off and many people realise the new road isn't really a viable alternative?

Other than occasional trips to Dublin/Limerick/Shannon, I don't think I'll be using it with any frequency - and I'm only ~5k km from Annagh Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Can anyone tell me please, what exit do you use for Galway?

Hubby has to take my Mum up to the Galway Clinic tomorrow am and the Sat Nag won't be updated to take account for the road opening.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Should have built a quadruple stack.

But no, as usual we have to go with the lowest acceptable standard - a roundabout.

It could have been made free-flow with a sight reworking. Unusually for a roundabout, every vehicle will be going 270 degrees around it (unless they are lost) so all that is needed is a third lane around the roundabout, with traffic entering merging to the inner lane a fast as is possible, while traffic leaving at the next exit merges to the outer lane. Proper lines on the road would guide drivers to exit properly with little interference of or from other vehicles.

A bigger question is why was the roundabout at the junction with the Tuam bypass there at all and not a grade separated junction? Why end motorways in roundabouts?

Why not use a partially unrolled cloverleaf. Same land take and it would only have been 2 levels. What was put there is madness.

partially-unrolled-cloverleaf.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Exit 19 (M6) Galway. Turn left and take 1st left at Martin Roundabout (Galway Clinic).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Due to M17's diligent work over the last 2.5 years I decided to drive the new road as soon as it opened!

I live in Ennis, near the West County hotel. Headed off at 3.47pm today, got onto new motorway at Gort at 4.03pm. Drove all the way to Tuam, arriving at 4.28pm.

Arrived back in Ennis at 5.09pm. No stops.

One thing I'd say about it, they've made the width of it to bare minimum standards, IMHO. The width of the hard shoulder is "just" wide enough to take a car and no more.

25 mins though Gort to Tuam that is brilliant and that is what this is all about the through traffic that does not have to clog up Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

"A third lane around the roundabout".It's bad enough at existing two lane roundabouts where so many drivers haven't a clue how to use them properly.Imagine what it would be like with three lanes regardless of lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

westtip wrote: »
    25 mins though Gort to Tuam that is brilliant and that is what this is all about the through traffic that does not have to clog up Claregalway.

Imagine in years to come the people of Claregalway looking back and remembering how the town used to be gridlocked.

Those of us who commute across Galway city dream of the day we can look back (which will probably never come).

My father travels from Clonmel to visit me in Galway and his family in north Mayo so he is delighted. I remember doing the Clonmel to Ballina trip with him as a child before any motorway existed - without stopping it took 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Working nearby on the N63 Abbeyknockmoy scheme at the moment. Nice feeling to head home to Ballyhaunis via our new motorway and excellent bypass in the west:cool: Fair play to all the contributors especially M17. Great effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 simulacra75

westtip wrote: »
    Due to M17's diligent work over the last 2.5 years I decided to drive the new road as soon as it opened!

I live in Ennis, near the West County hotel. Headed off at 3.47pm today, got onto new motorway at Gort at 4.03pm. Drove all the way to Tuam, arriving at 4.28pm.

Arrived back in Ennis at 5.09pm. No stops.

One thing I'd say about it, they've made the width of it to bare minimum standards, IMHO. The width of the hard shoulder is "just" wide enough to take a car and no more.

Just to give context, I would travel to Sligo from Ennis fairly regularly on a Friday afternoon and it would typically take 75 mins to get to Tuam on a really good day.

It now takes 41 mins, regardless of when I'd leave

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Middle Man wrote: »
    For the Record Books (M17/18 Gort to Tuam):

1. First complete interurban that connects urban centres other than Dublin;

2. First occurrence where two full 120kph motorways cross (at Rathmorrissy);

3. First route in popular culture to cease existence (N17 Tuam to Galway);

4. The first complete free flow circuit involving different routes (anti-clockwise via N/M18, N/M7, M50, N/M4, N/M6);

5. Ireland's largest roundabout circumference (at Rathmorrissy)?

That would be Larne Rd roundabout; Jct 10 on M2 in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Still a Nice flow of traffic at 7.30 this evening at Ballinphuil Corofin.
    https://youtu.be/IPeo2i84SHc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

No, Rathmorrissy is about 100m longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

For the Record Books (M17/18 Gort to Tuam):

1. First complete interurban that connects urban centres other than Dublin;

2. First occurrence where two full 120kph motorways cross (at Rathmorrissy);

3. First route in popular culture to cease existence (N17 Tuam to Galway);

4. The first complete free flow circuit involving different routes (anti-clockwise via N/M18, N/M7, M50, N/M4, N/M6);

5. Ireland's largest roundabout circumference (at Rathmorrissy)?

2. What about Kilkenny Waterford?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

This one...

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/54.8510/-6.2523

It's extremely long alright - was on it years ago as a teenager (1991).

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Just did some travel time calculations following alternative routes within legal speed limits. Results as follows:

Travel time to end of M4 in Lucan

Castlebar via N5 2hrs 36m, via M17/M6 2hrs 41m

Westport via N5 2hrs 52m, via M17/M6 2hrs 53m

Ballinrobe via M17/M6 2hrs 22m

Claremorris via N5 2hrs 28m, via M17/M6 2hrs 15m

Swinford via N5 2hrs 13m, via M17/M6 2hrs 36m

Tuam via M17/M6 1hr 57 m

d1980 wrote: »
    2. What about Kilkenny Waterford?

I'm not talking about converging motorways like the M7-M9 Jct. I'm talking about a complete 4 arm intersection of 120kph motorways - only Rathmorrissy has this feature in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

I'm not talking about converging motorways like the M7-M9 Jct. I'm talking about a complete 4 arm intersection of 120kph motorways - only Rathmorrissy has this feature in Ireland.

Sorry I had meant point 1?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Just finished it in my BMW. So smooth and a fantastic stretch of motorway. Thought the Gardai had me for speeding at one stage north of the bat bridge but they never came after me. Phew.

Headed out from Galway merged north onto the M17 up to Tuam around the roundabout and headed southbound to Gort. Got off and headed north again on the M18/M6 and back to the City.

In a BMW...........wow :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

His good car was having a day off I guess !!!

d1980 wrote: »
    Sorry I had meant point 1?
    If Kilkenny is regarded as a major urban destination, then perhaps I should have said "connecting major urban centres end to end". Anyone else with thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

So where does one buy fuel along the route?

Including the Limerick Gort section?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

red bull wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the "namedropping". I,myself, took a spin in my Mercedes ............. 2007 can.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

I see Leo V is making positive noises about Cork Limerick. No great surprise I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 simulacra75

red bull wrote: »

Which is parked on Taylors Hill, don't you know!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why not use a partially unrolled cloverleaf. Same land take and it would only have been 2 levels. What was put there is madness.

partially-unrolled-cloverleaf.gif
    "A third lane around the roundabout".It's bad enough at existing two lane roundabouts where so many drivers haven't a clue how to use them properly.Imagine what it would be like with three lanes regardless of lines.

It is easier to put a roundabout because most drivers can cope with them.

However, what I was trying to explain (obviously not very well) is that all drivers are doing a 270 degree turn. So entering the roundabout, the motorist has to transition into the inside lane avoiding those exiting at the next turn. Whatever design chosen, this feature exists in some form. So some form of 'merge' lane is required - that is the third lane. Maybe I'll have to get the crayons out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

had a look at the merge galway bound on the weekend. It's the exact same system the nra removed from the M50 over the last year. Traffic coming from Tuam has a very short merge onto the mainline, whereas traffic from Gort has about half a km.

the m50 system now gets merging traffic to merge into one lane and then has a long merge lane, so no short merges. I expect to see the Rathmorrisey system changing in the future.

Advertisement