Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Did Loughrea to Tuam in 28mins at 4pm. Normally thats at least 50 mins, driving hard and it'd be all driving. Its gone from a rally to a cruise. Met alot of confused drivers at the intersections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

What sort of time would it take to drive from Tuam to the M20 turn-off after the Shannon tunnel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

red bull wrote: »
    The M17 opened from Tuam at 2pm I was the second car to get on it drove to Rathmorrissey and back to Tuam 28 mins lovely surface. Well done to all

I was travelling from the Mid West earlier to-day up to Sligo...a joy to drive, lovely and smooth. I echo above comments - well done to all that was involved with this massive project.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Still a Nice flow of traffic at 7.30 this evening at Ballinphuil Corofin.
    https://youtu.be/IPeo2i84SHc

Car #4 in that video hogging the overtaking lane. There's always one.....come to think of it there's always a lot more than one!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Just drove from Tony Burke Toyota dealer and petrol station in Galway city to Brownsgrove, Tuam. Leaving at 9.30pm at night.

Times:
    Tony Burke to Tuam(first roundabout) : 27 min
    Through the bypass and to Brownsgrove school : +6 min

Driving within legal limit, mostly 120k on the new road. Quite impressed with this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Hi all Forum members,

Just after coming from a spin from Limerick to Tuam and I went home then after my shift. I'd like to point out that you need to drive the new road at night to see what I'm talking about.
    Once you pass Gort exit 16 the road is wonderful but to two major exceptions, the central median barrier is too low and you continually have to flash oncoming cars on the opposite direction to dim their lights and the new N17 Tuam Bypass is an absolute disaster as their is no hard shoulder to pull into incase of a breakdown and This is what I feel the whole road is lacking and particularly in Rathmorrissey is road lighting as you will not have a clue where you are going as their is very poor road lighting in all exits from North of Gort to South of Tuam. It's very very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

paul2013 wrote: »
    Hi all Forum members,

Just after coming from a spin from Limerick to Tuam and I went home then after my shift. I'd like to point out that you need to drive the new road at night to see what I'm talking about.
    Once you pass Gort exit 16 the road is wonderful but to two major exceptions, the central median barrier is too low and you continually have to flash oncoming cars on the opposite direction to dim their lights and the new N17 Tuam Bypass is an absolute disaster as their is no hard shoulder to pull into incase of a breakdown and This is what I feel the whole road is lacking and particularly in Rathmorrissey is road lighting as you will not have a clue where you are going as their is very poor road lighting in all exits from North of Gort to South of Tuam. It's very very poor.

It's great to see tax payers money going to Gardaí who drive the new road on their shift. :pac:

I drive to Athenry each night and found it well lit by the new leds

It's great to see tax payers money going to Gardaí who drive the new road on their shift. :pac:

IT was after my shift, i drove the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Hi all Forum members,

How can you not have a clue where your going with big massive blue reflective road signs all over every junction?
    As for the central median barrier, if it was 10foot high you would still see oncoming lights so what do you propose they do?

I was only taking the piss. You should have drove it on shift. Who would know unless they have trackers him them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vilnian

Wow, seems like only yesterday the construction for this project has only begun, first Non-Dublin inter urban is finally complete, thanks once again M17 for all your great contribution, without you this thread (and perhaps the whole 'roads' forum) would not have been the same, we wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope we will be seeing you more, perhaps with a changed name to M20 in the near future :)

Kind Regards
    Edgar (Vilnian)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Note to self. Never reveal your occupation on boards.

Roadfan wrote: »

Doubt it actually is his occupation.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    How can you not have a clue where your going with big massive blue reflective road signs all over every junction?
    As for the central median barrier, if it was 10foot high you would still see oncoming lights so what do you propose they do?

Just Drive the new road from Gort to Tuam by night so and you will see what I
    mean. The exits are also VERY poorly lit :eek: .

Roadfan wrote: »

I'm a former Taoiseach and I have a fondness for a few pints especially the night before I do live interviews.

Just Drive the new road from Gort to Tuam by night so and you will see what I
    mean. The exits are also VERY poorly lit :eek: .

It's the middle of the countryside at night, of course it's going to be dark. That's what headlights are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

I'm a former Taoiseach and I have a fondness for a few pints especially the night before I do live interviews.

Should have done an interview today and taken credit for the whole project. Tenders went out under FF. Anyway good to hear from you again. You were bound to find something to keep you busy. Regards Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Still a Nice flow of traffic at 7.30 this evening at Ballinphuil Corofin.
    https://youtu.be/IPeo2i84SHc

Ah, i thought i seen someone recording when i went past! And there i am in the video! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just back from a spin from Galway City (Bothar na dTreabh / Tuam Road junction) to Tuam (Kilmore roundabout) and back, going out the new motorway and back the old N17. No traffic either way, cruising just under the limits.

Galway City to Tuam via N6/M6/M17
    25 mins

Tuam to Galway City via N83 (old N17)
    21 mins

So no benefit in light traffic. Should be a big saving in rush hour traffic though... will using it again Friday evening going to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yLpQrCMhY

My god lads, check this one out - Anne Cummins

Recording herself on her phone while driving
    Right on the bumper of the car ahead of her while recording
    She slightly crosses the solid white line in the middle of the road
    Tasteless language (during the death notices too)

I'm sure the Gardai would like to pay her a visit or Crimeline to use it as an example of what not to do behind the wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yLpQrCMhY

My god lads, check this one out - Anne Cummins

Recording herself on her phone while driving
    Right on the bumper of the car ahead of her while recording
    She slightly crosses the solid white line in the middle of the road
    Tasteless language (during the death notices too)

I'm sure the Gardai would like to pay her a visit or Crimeline to use it as an example of what not to do behind the wheel

I read the post and was saying to myself who is she. I thought it was someone famous I didn't know about.

It is reckless driving with a mobile phone but I think when she cross the middle line was to show how many cars were in front of her.

It is easier to put a roundabout because most drivers can cope with them.

However, what I was trying to explain (obviously not very well) is that all drivers are doing a 270 degree turn. So entering the roundabout, the motorist has to transition into the inside lane avoiding those exiting at the next turn. Whatever design chosen, this feature exists in some form. So some form of 'merge' lane is required - that is the third lane. Maybe I'll have to get the crayons out.
    I don’t think it would be that difficult the have one lane on the roundabout and two lanes between exit and entrances, the weaving is done on the two lane bits where you move into the right lane (the left lane splits and joins the next motorway) and then carry on round the remaining 180 before moving left to leave.

had a look at the merge galway bound on the weekend. It's the exact same system the nra removed from the M50 over the last year. Traffic coming from Tuam has a very short merge onto the mainline, whereas traffic from Gort has about half a km.

the m50 system now gets merging traffic to merge into one lane and then has a long merge lane, so no short merges. I expect to see the Rathmorrisey system changing in the future.
    Why am I not surprised to hear them make he same mistakes again, putting in a "suicide" lane on a new motorway after all the hassle they caused on the M50!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just back from Tuam there now. Limerick-Tuam is now doable in a whisker over an hour, which is incredible. For North-South journeys, this is going to make an incredible difference. Galway journeys outbound will be much improved and inbound may have issues at Doughiska but I'd rather be driving on a motorway than sitting in a queue on the old N17 for my commute.

Fair play to all involved, the road is built very well. The signage is not 100% but signage on DirectRoute PPPs has been poor so far so that's to be expected. Another thing I've noticed is that phone coverage is terrible along the route especially between Kiltiernan and Rathmorrissey but this is to be expected given the remoteness of the scheme and the cuttings.

And lastly, I genuinely felt whilst driving the road that it wasn't my first time doing so, all thanks to the sheer volume of pictures m17 posted during the scheme. All the new registrations this week and the 1.3 million views on thread is a testament to the incredible work done by m17 over the last 33 months. Beyond the call of duty doesn't even begin to reflect the work he has put in. Big thanks to m17 and best wishes not getting bored waiting for Tuam-Claremorris to start ;)

I read the post and was saying to myself who is she. I thought it was someone famous I didn't know about.

It is reckless driving with a mobile phone but I think when she cross the middle line was to show how many cars were in front of her.
    Just seen the comments on the video ..
    You've been reported to Gardai for dangerous driving and using a mobile phone while driving by about 30 people on Boards.ie, just so you know.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Just seen the comments on the video ..
    You've been reported to Gardai for dangerous driving and using a mobile phone while driving by about 30 people on Boards.ie, just so you know.

:pac:

That was me.
    :-D

Just want to see what (if anything) she has to say...it beggars belief, the stupidity of some drivers...

That was me.

Just want to see what (if anything) she has to say...it beggars belief, the stupidity of some drivers...

I don't think anything would even happen to her if you reported it to the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

That was me.

I don't think anything would even happen to her if you reported it to the Gardaí.

Probably not..

Advertisement