Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

muddle84 wrote: »
    Wrong. I commute daily from Claremorris to Parkmore. I left work on Wednesday the 20th at 18.30 and i walked in the door at home at 20.00. Traffic was slow in Claregalway and Tuam. I left last night at the same time(18.30) and I walked in the door at home at 19.20. That motorway saved me 40 minutes! Even if I only used the Tuam bypass, Tuesday evening it toke me 25 minutes from when i hit the traffic entering Tuam until I got to the roundabout on the north side of Tuam. Yesterday evening there was no traffic queue's first of all and then it only toke me 8 minutes to get from roundabout to roundabout.

Its impossible to gauge the benefit in the mornings in the first few weeks as there is alot of people just trying the motorway for the novelty and to have a look at it. It will take a few weeks to determine what route suits people best.
    Wrong... is a bit harsh. It was the first day so it does need time to calm.
    However, it's common sense that having two routes into Galway that are jammed every morning (Tuam Road & M6). Diverting traffic from the Tuam road to the M6 will not make it any better for anyone. I'm delighted the new motorway is there but it won't help with commuting to Galway in the mornings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ferocious wrote: »
    Great to have this motorway open and would like to echo all the appreciation of the updates on this thread.

I travel from south of Ennis to Parkmore daily. I agree with the suggestion that it will benefit long distance commuters more than local traffic.

Some observations after day1. It took longer than usual to get to the M6 from Parkmore yesterday but there was an event in the Racecouse which may have contributed with more people stopping to let out the racecourse traffic so may not be related to motorway opening. Usually Gardai there even for smaller race meetings.

I’m not sure it will greatly improve the morning commute, it may just be quicker to get to a longer queue. But I have no doubt it will make the southbound evening journey predictable and consistent as well as taking 10 mins off. No more hoping there isn’t a funeral or something in Clarinbridge!

Someone made a good point on re-fueling. Options for me are go out by Carnmore or get off in Gort. Not perfect but may have to get more organized to take full advantage of the road!

Another thing I noticed, mobile signal (Vodafone) is intermittent at best on the new stretch. It was already bad on the Gort to Ennis section. As well as being able to make calls in emergencies it makes streaming spotify/podcasts difficult/impossible! First world problems...!

Yes, signal is shocking between Kiltiernan and Rathmorrissey, mainly due to the rural nature of the motorway. Enough complaints and Vodafone may take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

J o e wrote: »
    Just back from a spin from Galway City (Bothar na dTreabh / Tuam Road junction) to Tuam (Kilmore roundabout) and back, going out the new motorway and back the old N17. No traffic either way, cruising just under the limits.

Galway City to Tuam via N6/M6/M17
    25 mins

Tuam to Galway City via N83 (old N17)
    21 mins

So no benefit in light traffic. Should be a big saving in rush hour traffic though... will using it again Friday evening going to Donegal.

21 mins from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout? Did you do 120k flat out all the way? Usually it takes me around 30 to 35 mins with at an average of 80k. It's impossible to keep to 100k on this road due to the continuous presence of slowcoaches (night and day it seems!).

You're right about the m17 though, it's about 25 mins from Bothar na dTreabh to Kilmore. So it shaves about 10 minutes off my average time, I'm happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

eezipc wrote: »
    muddle84 wrote: »
    Wrong. I commute daily from Claremorris to Parkmore. I left work on Wednesday the 20th at 18.30 and i walked in the door at home at 20.00. Traffic was slow in Claregalway and Tuam. I left last night at the same time(18.30) and I walked in the door at home at 19.20. That motorway saved me 40 minutes! Even if I only used the Tuam bypass, Tuesday evening it toke me 25 minutes from when i hit the traffic entering Tuam until I got to the roundabout on the north side of Tuam. Yesterday evening there was no traffic queue's first of all and then it only toke me 8 minutes to get from roundabout to roundabout.

Its impossible to gauge the benefit in the mornings in the first few weeks as there is alot of people just trying the motorway for the novelty and to have a look at it. It will take a few weeks to determine what route suits people best.
    Wrong... is a bit harsh. It was the first day so it does need time to calm.
    However, it's common sense that having two routes into Galway that are jammed every morning (Tuam Road & M6). Diverting traffic from the Tuam road to the M6 will not make it any better for anyone. I'm delighted the new motorway is there but it won't help with commuting to Galway in the mornings.
    My apologies, I didn't mean to be hard on you. But I disagree with your statement that the motorway is only a benefit to people that want to get to Limerick or Dublin quicker. I was just adding some facts to back up my opinion but I am sorry if I came across hard on you, that was not the intent. It already has saved me a lot of travel time and it will continue to do so from what I've seen so far and know of the route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dagon wrote: »
    21 mins from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout? Did you do 120k flat out all the way? Usually it takes me around 30 mins with at an average of 80k. It's impossible to keep to 100k on this road due to the continuous presence of slowcoaches.

100k is doable at night, with the motorway you have the advantage of not coming across slow vehicles as you say, and also the benefit of constant speed bar the Rathmorrissey junction, and the lack of junctions/turning traffic, pedestrians etc. You also don't have to slow down for reduced limits etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    This morning overtaken by a Garda car doing a good bit above the speed limit.... Lads just out to have a drive on it I think. Ok for them to speed though...

Maybe that was Paul2013 and his superior! Was there a milk tank behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Did Dublin to Castlebar this morning M6/M17/N60. Took me 2hours 45 minutes. The exit from M6 to M17 via that roundabout is shockingly poor. All in all pleasant drive to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Around rathmorrissy 27/09/17https://youtu.be/Tdn-2KDvkSA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

m17 wrote: »

That is a big roundabout. Your drone footage from above made it look like any roundabout but that Youtube footage gave me a better feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Dagon wrote: »
    21 mins from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout? Did you do 120k flat out all the way?

21 mins from Kilmore to Bothar na dTreabh on the old road. It was my fastest every trip from Tuam to Galway on the old road though! I'd say everyone was over checking out the new road and it was around 11pm so traffic was light anyway. Was just under the 100km/h limit for most of it, dropping down to the limit for towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

It was part of Clare until 1609, and now we would like it back, thanks very much.
    No it wasnt , it was part of the Cantred of the Ostman of Limerick city before 1200 , long before ' Clare' as a county existed. The cantred extended out to Bunratty - and we'd like it back thank you very much !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

That is a big roundabout. Your drone footage from above made it look like any roundabout but that Youtube footage gave me a better feel for it.

Certainly is BIG. Looks like a road scheme in its own right. Great footage M17. And no bad language either.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I will be coming from Dublin on Saturday morning just to drive the new motorway. I love the smell of new asphalt in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given that the average speed using the old road would have been less than 80km/hr - there would be a significant difference in fuel consumption in any case.
    dont most engines reach optimimum efficiency around 100kmph though?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Idbatterim wrote: »
    dont most engines reach optimimum efficiency around 100kmph though?

Wind resistance has a very large component at high speed, particularly with SUVs that have a profile of a large brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know this should be discussed on a different thread,but it is surely time now for the GAA to take the right decision and upgrade Tuam Stadium and get out of the hole that is Pearse Stadium in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Bored sigh wrote: »
    There's loads of donuts appeared on the old n17 the last few weeks. Some guy selling them with coffee at the central tavern car park... :)

Them's good doughnuts..... he does a nice Flat white as well, nice chap. I hope he does well.. more people starting to stop off now to get a cuppa...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Anyone else get a little bit freaked by the merging system coming from Galway M6 onto M17, I did it yesterday and it freaked me out a little bit, seemed to 2 in 1 lane into 2 again...

Claregalway has very slight delays this evening and Clarinbridge is free.

The N6 eastbound approaching Briarhill is a different story though, traffic back almost as far as the Tuam road junction. The approach to Briarhill on the R339 is slow too, so they must have adjusted the lights a slight bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone else get a little bit freaked by the merging system coming from Galway M6 onto M17, I did it yesterday and it freaked me out a little bit, seemed to 2 in 1 lane into 2 again...

Yeah I was a bit confused for a second when taking this last night. The junction needs better lighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

m17 wrote: »

why the "end-of-motorway" signs as you go onto the roundabout, surely the whole thing is motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Probably not but asking anyway...
    Living in Lackagh, if going into town in rush hour traffic (5.30) would the motorway by quicker?
    Would avoid claregalway and build up by volvo garage. Or just as long with longer route and joining back on by oranmore roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

dinneenp wrote: »
    Probably not but asking anyway...
    Living in Lackagh, if going into town in rush hour traffic (5.30) would the motorway by quicker?
    Would avoid claregalway and build up by volvo garage. Or just as long with longer route and joining back on by oranmore roundabout.

I'm in the same area. I did the same trip - in the opposite direction (Oranmore -> Lackagh) yesterday evening.

It is approx twice the distance (30km versus ~15km) but only took about 6-7 minutes longer than taking the backroads via Cregmore etc.

So I'd say there won't be much in it. To be honest, I don't think the new road is a real alternative for commuting to the city, and as many others have said, it never was intended to be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

bigar wrote: »
    I will be coming from Dublin on Saturday morning just to drive the new motorway. I love the smell of new asphalt in the morning :D

Charlie dont surf

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Did Dublin to Castlebar this morning M6/M17/N60. Took me 2hours 45 minutes. The exit from M6 to M17 via that roundabout is shockingly poor. All in all pleasant drive to be fair.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wind resistance has a very large component at high speed, particularly with SUVs that have a profile of a large brick.
    oh I know, I agree, but I dont think most cars would use more fuel at 100kmph than 80kmph. of course you start going above 100 , to 120, 140 - 160 and there is a large jump in fuel usage...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well, when I first started this thread a decade ago I thought we'd be only a few years away from having Gort - Athenry (the M18) done. I really thought it would be pushed to appease the west but then Ennis - Gort got delayed and Gort - Athenry nearly got outright cancelled.

Then this PPP showed up and it actually happened. Couldn't believe it when diggers were on the ground.

And now its open. Many years behind schedule, but its open. Ten years. Jesus. I was just out of college when I made this thread, funny how life treats you...

Thanks of course to M17 for keeping this thread up to date with more photos than we've seen with any other road scheme. But thanks also to the 1.3 million views on this thread for giving me something I created that is bigger than most blogs out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Well, when I first started this thread a decade ago I thought we'd be only a few years away from having Gort - Athenry (the M18) done. I really thought it would be pushed to appease the west but then Ennis - Gort got delayed and Gort - Athenry nearly got outright cancelled.

Then this PPP showed up and it actually happened. Couldn't believe it when diggers were on the ground.

And now its open. Many years behind schedule, but its open. Ten years. Jesus. I was just out of college when I made this thread, funny how life treats you...

Thanks of course to M17 for keeping this thread up to date with more photos than we've seen with any other road scheme. But thanks also to the 1.3 million views on this thread for giving me something I created that is bigger than most blogs out there :D

What forum are you going to start next as this one as been pure epic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I came home via Claregalway from Oranmore this evening and sailed home. Village was very quiet. More like 8pm traffic flow than 6pm.
    So the evening traffic through Claregalway definitely appears to be reduced. Hope it lasts. Not sure why it had almost no effect on the morning traffic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Benbecul97 wrote:
    Why?

Poor lazy design considering two major motorways are intersecting...reminds me of some lazy M50 exits from the early 2000s

Advertisement