Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    Around rathmorrissy 27/09/17https://youtu.be/Tdn-2KDvkSA
    So there we have it...

M17 driving on the M17 in 2017! :D

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Poor lazy design considering two major motorways are intersecting...reminds me of some lazy M50 exits from the early 2000s
    No, Rathmorrissy is a massive markup from those - left slips on all corners as well as both an overpass and underpass. If the major M50 junctions were designed like that in the first place, we'd all have been much better off in the East!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My issue with Rathmorrissey is the tightness of the curves on the left turn slips. There is no reason these couldn't have been done for 100km/h running but they have really tight curves in the centre of them dropping the safe limit to 65km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I am not an expert on Motorway construction,so I would like to know what way other than a roundabout should the intersection at Rathmorrissy have been constructed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The tuam herald 27/09/17IMAG2490_zpswtvh0m50.jpg2IMAG2491_zpsmcr2jfi1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

On my way to work this morning at 6:45 am from the end of the N6 to the Briarhill junction I didn't notice any extra traffic. I head for Mervue while others are turning for Parkmore. Perhaps the extension to the right filter lane could be the reason. Tried the new road by turning south to Gort then driving the whole way up to Tuam.
    Firstly, that turn off from the roundabout to the M18 is sharp.
    Secondly looks like a truck must have missed the Garda only sign for what I presume is a specially designed check point lay-by going north bound on the M18 as the barrier into the lay-by is already mangled. Overall nice road, well built but I would have to agree that a bit of street lighting around the roundabout would aid navigation for those coming off red eye flights from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

flazio wrote: »
    Firstly, that turn off from the roundabout to the M18 is sharp.

Fully agree, the exit to the M17 is likewise very sharp. I had to brake fairly sharply, from less than 100Km/h, to negotiate it. I'm hoping that this was done on purpose to force down the speed of vehicles on the roundabout, and not poor design?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Took a spin from Galway to Ardrahan exit today. First thing i noticed was that it is a 2 lane slip road off the M6. You have to travel a couple of 100 metres before you see signage saying which lane to be in. The 2 problem is when you crest the hill to go under the M17 through the tunnel. Again, you yield onto a 2 lane road. So, I stayed in the left lane and some hoor in a beamer came tearing around the bend heading to Tuam. He had to cross both lanes to access the Tuam slipway. He and I both jammed on, missing each other by a couple of feet. Accident waiting to happen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

dok_golf wrote: »
    Took a spin from Galway to Ardrahan exit today. First thing i noticed was that it is a 2 lane slip road off the M6. You have to travel a couple of 100 metres before you see signage saying which lane to be in. The 2 problem is when you crest the hill to go under the M17 through the tunnel. Again, you yield onto a 2 lane road. So, I stayed in the left lane and some hoor in a beamer came tearing around the bend heading to Tuam. He had to cross both lanes to access the Tuam slipway. He and I both jammed on, missing each other by a couple of feet. Accident waiting to happen imo.

That situation reminds me of turn off for Cork after Limerick tunnel. Hi stay in outside Roxborough lane. All over well when you know. But if you don't....Say plenty other examples out there

The kilmore roundabout 28/09/17IMAG2497_zpsdkplvcfg.jpg

• Advertisement

close call on the tuam bypass near the ballygaddy road flyoverhttps://youtu.be/8lczoQQeMcQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

marno21 wrote: »
    My issue with Rathmorrissey is the tightness of the curves on the left turn slips. There is no reason these couldn't have been done for 100km/h running but they have really tight curves in the centre of them dropping the safe limit to 65km/h.

If you think they are too tight then don't look at the exits on most autobahn, autoroutes or autostrada. They are all tight as the idea is to slow you down! If you think the slip roads on are too short then you are not accelerating hard enough. The slip roads in Ireland are excessively long and dont slow you down enough for the (stupid) roundabout that's inevitably at the top of the slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Middle Man wrote:
    No, Rathmorrissy is a massive markup from those - left slips on all corners as well as both an overpass and underpass. If the major M50 junctions were designed like that in the first place, we'd all have been much better off in the East!

Ah it's better than those of course however I am highlightening the poor design...I didn't take the left turns today however I am seeing other users pointing out that they are awful tight and that correlated with a lot of the M50 turn offs . On the face of it it's looks like a poorly designed roundabout which is really strange considering it's bloody massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

close call on the tuam bypass near the ballygaddy road flyoverhttps://youtu.be/8lczoQQeMcQ

Did I see someone driving the wrong way?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yep, someone going northbound on the southbound carriageway.

ianobrien wrote: »
    If you think they are too tight then don't look at the exits on most autobahn, autoroutes or autostrada. They are all tight as the idea is to slow you down! If you think the slip roads on are too short then you are not accelerating hard enough. The slip roads in Ireland are excessively long and dont slow you down enough for the (stupid) roundabout that's inevitably at the top of the slip road.
    M7W -> M20S slip in Limerick is well able for 100km/h. Should be the same at Rathmorrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

yep @2:07 you can see them on the other side of the motorway.

hey m17 you can add a timestamp to the youtube link like so:
    https://youtu.be/8IczoQQeMcQ?t=2m7s

For all those complaining about the tight turn offs from the Rathmorrisey RAB, correct me if I'm wrong, but is the limit on the RAB not 60k?

Those turns are perfectly manageable at that speed, least I thought so when I drove it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

How far would it have travelled to get there?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Any artic drivers out there who have negotiated the Rathmorrissey roundabout? How did you find the ease-of-use of the exits off the roundabout?

• Advertisement

This is really in the ' believe it or not' Department. Think I'll invest in a dashcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spiller78

That car probably joined Tuam By-Pass turning wrong way at the Ballygaddy junction about 500m from where we see it at 2mins 11 secs in the clip. Scary stuff.

Spiller78 wrote: »
    That car probably joined Tuam By-Pass turning wrong way at the Ballygaddy junction about 500m from where we see it at 2mins 11 secs in the clip. Scary stuff.

Would hope Gardai and more relevant TII are aware of this. Is there a problem with signage at the Ballygaddy junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spiller78

Roadfan wrote: »
    Would hope Gardai and more relevant TII are aware of this. Is there a problem with signage at the Ballygaddy junction?

I don't know but I will check it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

anybody have a link to an online route planner that has the new road?

ianobrien wrote: »
    Well, some of the slips on the M1 are very long and are not so problematic for me - in fact, some of the roundabouts at their ends are very tight but as a motorist, I simply exercise a little bit of cop on and just read the road that's in front of me. Slips are basically like any ordinary road - unlike the motorway mainline, you've got to be prepared for the unexpected. Interchanges like the M7-M9 are different as you're talking about the convergence of two mainline motorways. The slips on interchanges like the M1-M50 are no different to ordinary roads by way of alignment - in fact, the M1(S) to M50(S) is a little bit like driving up the mountains - yet, it's not any real problem for me. Just read the road in front of you without any preconceived notions of what the slip roads should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭swoofer

use this one, and you may have to zoom in a bit, its good, I used west county ennis to glenlo as an example.

https://graphhopper.com/maps/

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep, someone going northbound on the southbound carriageway.
    Drivers like that need to be eliminated - they are not fit for the modern day needs of motoring - at the very least, they need complete retraining as in completely redoing the driving test, theory and all!

swoofer wrote: »
    use this one, and you may have to zoom in a bit, its good, I used west county ennis to glenlo as an example.

https://graphhopper.com/maps/

Was looking for an online map earlier today for a purpose not related to this thread and I wish I knew about this. Didn't make the request to you but thanks. It seems like a good one

• Advertisement

Bloody Idiot!
    That "driver" should not be on the road!

Advertisement