Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Do Google have to drive it themselves before they update?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Do Google have to drive it themselves before they update?

Google don't do the maps themselves they source them from a company whose name I forget

They don't have to drive them anymore they can used the crowdsourced traffic data for populating the maps

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

're driving wrong way.. TII have acknowledged email and indicated that they have contacted contractors. Not sure if this provides the answer but there it is anyway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also, if there's any issue with the new road it's best to contact TII and the PPP concessionaires as they maintain and operate the road

www.gorttotuam.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Annagh hill to the m6https://youtu.be/0QmOI5KZKUw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Heading to Westport tomorrow from Dublin, would it be worthwhile taking the M17 to Tuam then taking the R332 across to the N84?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

anybody have a link to an online route planner that has the new road?
    www.openstreetmap.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

FredFunk wrote: »
    Heading to Westport tomorrow from Dublin, would it be worthwhile taking the M17 to Tuam then taking the R332 across to the N84?

No, stay on the n17, turn off at claremorris, through castlebar and on to Westport.

Many on here will tell you to take the n5, by all means do that if you like such views as tulsk, Frenchpark, and whatever the other little towns are that I wipe from memory each time I pass through. Also expect a tractor holding things up on the approach to Frenchpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Here Maps have had the road added for a while now but it's still not available for routing - seems like it'd just be a matter of enabling that option on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I`m going south of Limerick from Mayo next week with kids loaded in the back, where would be a good place to stop off the M17 for a break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

FredFunk wrote: »
    If driving in daylight, I'd recommend turning off the N84 in Partry to bypass Castlebar. It's not a route I'd do in darkness, but it's shorter and more scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

plodder wrote: »
    If driving in daylight, I'd recommend turning off the N84 in Partry to bypass Castlebar. It's not a route I'd do in darkness, but it's shorter and more scenic.

Absolutely more scenic but possibly one of the worst stretches of road in the country, undulating, bad surface, blind corners, blind Junctions and no overtaking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

plodder wrote: »

Absolutely more scenic but possibly one of the worst stretches of road in the country, undulating, bad surface, blind corners, blind Junctions and no overtaking opportunities.

Its a stretch even calling that route a road......Id avoid it at all costs unless I was familiar with it. The road from Tuam to Ballinrobe would be no great shakes either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The bat bridge on the m18 29/10/162017-08-11_06-44-59_zpsp4owvwvy.jpg29/09/17IMAG2506_zps1yx05k56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

It's a bit of an exaggeration to call it "one of the worst stretches of road in the country". Having said that, I wouldn't use it if in a hurry and unfamiliar with it, but it's perfectly fine if you're visiting and want to look around. When you get to Partry, the signs will point to Westport that way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I won't go back and find the quotes but the other day I mentioned the turns for getting off the roundabout were a bit sharp and one of the replies said it's fine if your slow enough.
    That's all well and good in a car but can a truck and trailer take those turns without having to pull out to the right lane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

flazio wrote: »
    I won't go back and find the quotes but the other day I mentioned the turns for getting off the roundabout were a bit sharp and one of the replies said it's fine if your slow enough.
    That's all well and good in a car but can a truck and trailer take those turns without having to pull out to the right lane?
    I saw many overhead photos of the roundabout during various stages of construction and one exit in particular struck me as being rather tight and that's the one for the M18 towards Gort. The other exits looked reasonable enough to me though. I think the former NRA wanted to construct an access road to services on the preceding quadrant so I guess things were tightened up there to allow room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

25mins from Parkmore (Galway City) to the north of Tuam on a Friday evening... nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well, some of the slips on the M1 are very long and are not so problematic for me - in fact, some of the roundabouts at their ends are very tight but as a motorist, I simply exercise a little bit of cop on and just read the road that's in front of me. Slips are basically like any ordinary road - unlike the motorway mainline, you've got to be prepared for the unexpected. Interchanges like the M7-M9 are different as you're talking about the convergence of two mainline motorways. The slips on interchanges like the M1-M50 are no different to ordinary roads by way of alignment - in fact, the M1(S) to M50(S) is a little bit like driving up the mountains - yet, it's not any real problem for me. Just read the road in front of you without any preconceived notions of what the slip roads should be.

Your post contains the words I heard from a Driving Instructor in 1980 and have remembered and put into practise ever since.I was doing a truck driving course back then and everyday for the two weeks the instructor would say "read the road in front of you".I passed the test at the end of the course.
    Unfortunately reading the road and using common sense is not practised by a lot of drivers on our roads everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seemed to shave about 12 minutes off athlone - tuam for me (vs barbadearg moylough mountbellew ballyforan route).

Noticed a small backlog on Sligo side of tuam heading north. Traffic has to slow down for the new roundabout there now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

seemed to shave about 12 minutes off athlone - tuam for me (vs barbadearg moylough mountbellew ballyforan route).

Noticed a small backlog on Sligo side of tuam heading north. Traffic has to slow down for the new roundabout there now.

It will be interesting to see how journey patterns shape up in the next few years - this new road is such a massive change for the West. Regarding north of Tuam, I do think some of this traffic that's backing up may be motorists on novelty trips - after a little while, this will die back considerably. If the problem still persists however, then a left turn slip towards the N17 (North) may have to be considered but hopefully things won't come to that in the near future.

flazio wrote: »

That was me and I said if you drive the indicated limit you are fine, if you don't well.... there's no amount of signs, directions or warnings that can account for stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Still doesn't answer the truck question. Are all exits off the roundabout wide enough to allow an articulated lorry to turn off without having to pull out to the right lane and blocking vehicles using the roundabout behind them? Heavy goods vehicles are one of the key reasons this new road was built in the first place, would be kind of embarrassing if they aren't catered for properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i went thru claregalway at 3 pm yesterday, it was very good and entering the city on the n17 was better approaching the first lights!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Traveled from Dublin to Leenaun yesterday evening and took the M17 to Tuam and then cut across through Headfirst to try it out as an alternative route avoiding Galway City.

Maybe 10km longer distance-wise but takes around the same time, assuming no traffic delays on the Galway City route.

Will defo be using this route again in the future, if only for the change of scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

3 days on and still not on Google maps. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

JCX BXC wrote: »
    3 days on and still not on Google maps. Strange!

Not strange at all.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Not strange at all.

Care to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Care to expand?

Well I remember when the latest section of the M11 opened in July 2015, it took about 6-8 weeks before it was reflected on google maps!

• Advertisement

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Well I remember when the latest section of the M11 opened in July 2015, it took about 6-8 weeks before it was reflected on google maps!

Really? I seem to remember one road being up fairly quickly, can't remember which one or when though.

Advertisement