Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

It's probably just scheduling, it will be in the next scheduled map update.
    Whenever that is, they're unlikely to "stop the presses" to add in a new motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at cloondarone 16/02/152017-04-23_02-40-40_zpsfmbesakz.jpg30/09/17IMAG2529_zpstcp8qat6.jpg

The accommodation flyover at ballynastaig on the m18 16/03/162017-03-16_08-01-10_zpsxu76auaf.jpg30/09/17IMAG2516_zpsjicgjnwv.jpg

The m18 at gortroa 30/09/17IMAG2522_zpsua5pcqcr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Came down from Dublin today. Nice that is closes the ring between Dublin, Limerick and Galway. Quite nice for a motorway junkie as me :D

Was quite impressed with the Bat Bridge. I can see it becoming a minor tourist attraction :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 at gortroa 30/09/17IMAG2522_zpsua5pcqcr.jpg
    How is the bike standing up to the commute from New Ross M17?

bigar wrote: »
    Came down from Dublin today. Nice that is closes the ring between Dublin, Limerick and Galway. Quite nice for a motorway junkie as me :D

Was quite impressed with the Bat Bridge. I can see it becoming a minor tourist attraction .

Check out bat bridge Austin Texas. That said I see there's some controversy in UK about them. Do they work etc..with some saying they don t. Anyway...

The m17 at sheeaunpark 18/10/16IMAG2689_zpsajrejafg.jpg30/09/17IMAG2499_zpsfbjmtvpf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Took a trip to the wesht today and drove Rathmorrisey-Tuam NB and Tuam-Limerick SB as part of an outrageously pointless spin from Dublin.

Just back and before I washed it there were a phenomenal number of insects on the front of the car.

Very impressed. It's a fantastic piece of road. Is there a version of "well wear" one can wish to the actual tarmac as opposed to the car? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

I see there are already donut marks on the road outside Tuam heading towards rathmorrisey.

• Advertisement

The rock cut at ballybanagher on the m17 27/10/152017-02-26_11-33-15_zpsz6ju8eje.jpg30/09/17IMAG2540_zpswigaqz2a.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 at sheeaunpark 30/09/17IMAG2499_zpsfbjmtvpf.jpg
    It's funny how the road looks kind of odd with traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Took the new M17/M18 last night. Great piece of work, the bat bridge is certainly a very interesting structure. I tend to travel at off peak times so I'm not sure I'll use the Tuam bypass unless it's peak or near peak times. I'd also be interested to see how the roundabout works out on the M17/M18 side of Tuam at peak times - wonder if it'll be much of a bottle neck.

The m17 rathmorrissy to tuamhttps://youtu.be/S1j-M9jRkxw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

EmptyTree wrote: »
    the bat bridge is certainly a very interesting structure.

Just before the bridge yesterday, I looked left, and the man driving the car beside me was looking at the bridge a bit bemused. You could tell it had caught the "average joe's" attention and not just mine as an enthusiast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Took the new M17/M18 last night. Great piece of work, the bat bridge is certainly a very interesting structure. I tend to travel at off peak times so I'm not sure I'll use the Tuam bypass unless it's peak or near peak times. I'd also be interested to see how the roundabout works out on the M17/M18 side of Tuam at peak times - wonder if it'll be much of a bottle neck.

Where exactly is the bat bridge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why did they put a roundabout between the Tuam bypass and the M17? Surely a freeflow design would have mad more sense. In fact why do the terminate major roads in roundabouts instead of freeflow designs?

The m18 near kiltiernan 01/10/17IMAG2543_zpsy1ypvnxe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why did they put a roundabout between the Tuam bypass and the M17? Surely a freeflow design would have mad more sense. In fact why do the terminate major roads in roundabouts instead of freeflow designs?

i would be curious how a free flow would work in tuam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

irishgeo wrote: »

Just freeflow the mainline of the M17/N17 under a dumbell junction for the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Just freeflow the mainline of the M17/N17 under a dumbell junction for the old road.
    Just like at Jct.17 at Kiltiernan, with the R458 (old N18).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just the M17 would continue onto the Tuam bypass and the other roads would have a normal grade separated junction. Motorway traffic would simply cntinue onto the bypass unhindered unless they turned off.

A roundabout terminates the M11 before Camolin to allow connection to a tiny road (R772). If the idea was to continue the M11, why not construct a stub for future continuation and close it off and continue a turn off to Camolin. This was done for the contruction of the M6 between Kinnegad and Athlone. Each bit was built to the next town and a stub left to continue the good work. Mind you that was the N6 at the time - later upgraded with blue signs and a higher speed limit.

When the plan is a future continuation, surely the plan should include that continuation.

Where exactly is the bat bridge?

Coole Green a small bit north of Gort from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Tried it out today, an hour Gort to Tuam as already mentioned. Was coming up from Shannon and noticed a big increase in the number of cars on the road after Gort that did not drop off until the Dublin motorway crossover. Assuming a lot of it was people out to have a look. The motorway is very twisty but you can just about still hold 120 safely, just dont expect to be able to straighten the wheel for long.

Tuam bypass was less good. Roundabout to get onto it seems destined to become a bottleneck with the amount of cars coming out of the town. Also there seems to be something wrong with the exit for Ballinrobe road. Cars coming off there seemed to be dropping to very slow speed while still on road, including one moron in overtaking lane who came to almost complete stop to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The public service reps love getting their names on plaques and stones in this country don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

vicwatson wrote: »
    The public service reps love getting their names on plaques and stones in this country don't they?

We will all get our name on a bit of stone at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

transylman wrote: »
    .............. Cars coming off there seemed to be dropping to very slow speed while still on road, including one moron in overtaking lane who came to almost complete stop to take it.

The brake first then indicate (if at all) regime is still well represented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It has been quite a journey even after the PPP roller coaster ride - here's where it all physically started...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673984&page=166

Nice to see the end result - a motorway that might never have been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

Travelled this road today around 3pm.Twenty five minutes from Roundabout in Tuam to Traffic lights on old N17 on the outskirts of Galway.Came back old N17,Twenty Two minutes.
    Just after the slip road entering motorway (Roscommon?) I met a Silver Corolla coming against me on the hard shoulder.I think he went up the slip road the wrong way.SCARY.

Also can anyone explain the exit signposted Ballinrobe/Kilmaine on the Tuam Bypass section going towards Milltown thats blocked off and is going nowhere.The real exit to Ballinrobe/Kilmaine is a few hundred yards after that.

Advertisement