Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

transylman wrote: »
    Tried it out today, an hour Gort to Tuam as already mentioned. Was coming up from Shannon and noticed a big increase in the number of cars on the road after Gort that did not drop off until the Dublin motorway crossover. Assuming a lot of it was people out to have a look. The motorway is very twisty but you can just about still hold 120 safely, just dont expect to be able to straighten the wheel for long.

Tuam bypass was less good. Roundabout to get onto it seems destined to become a bottleneck with the amount of cars coming out of the town. Also there seems to be something wrong with the exit for Ballinrobe road. Cars coming off there seemed to be dropping to very slow speed while still on road, including one moron in overtaking lane who came to almost complete stop to take it.

A lot of older drivers coming out that road have probably never driven on a motorway before. I know speaking to some older locals in the last week, they were asking some very basic questions about driving on the motorway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

A lot of older drivers coming out that road have probably never driven on a motorway before. I know speaking to some older locals in the last week, they were asking some very basic questions about driving on the motorway.
    I wonder if a national retest for older drivers should be considered given the number of basic mistakes/faults on new road infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    Travelled this road today around 3pm.Twenty five minutes from Roundabout in Tuam to Traffic lights on old N17 on the outskirts of Galway.Came back old N17,Twenty Two minutes.
    Just after the slip road entering motorway (Roscommon?) I met a Silver Corolla coming against me on the hard shoulder.I think he went up the slip road the wrong way.SCARY.

Also can anyone explain the exit signposted Ballinrobe/Kilmaine on the Tuam Bypass section going towards Milltown thats blocked off and is going nowhere.The real exit to Ballinrobe/Kilmaine is a few hundred yards after that.

Driving the wrong way. Seems to be really catching on!😕

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Roadfan wrote: »
    Driving the wrong way. Seems to be really catching on!��
    That apparently was happening on the M1 Balbriggan Bypass when it opened in 1998 - really, some people are clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Middle Man wrote: »
    I wonder if a national retest for older drivers should be considered given the number of basic mistakes/faults on new road infrastructure?

Possibly but you'll be waiting. Wonder about local information or briefing sessions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

Having worked on the engineering side of things on the M18 for two months before I got another posting its great that the progress pictures were added all along. People just drive onto the new completed project when it opens but little do that know the work and arguments on site that went into it. But what a great finished project it is. As a man from the west of Ireland I am proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

sdanseo wrote: »
    Just before the bridge yesterday, I looked left, and the man driving the car beside me was looking at the bridge a bit bemused. You could tell it had caught the "average joe's" attention and not just mine as an enthusiast.
    I think it's great, such a refreshing change from all the standard bridge designs Kalthough I understand this has a more specific purpose and wasn't done just to keep motorists entertained)
    m17 wrote: »
    The bat bridge on the m18 07/08/17IMAG2036_zpszw3u2wmw.jpg
    Where exactly is the bat bridge?

It's near Coole demesne, but I'm sure M17 would be able to give a more exact location.
    Why did they put a roundabout between the Tuam bypass and the M17? Surely a freeflow design would have mad more sense. In fact why do the terminate major roads in roundabouts instead of freeflow designs?

From memory at the time I think the conversation on this thread was that cost and space were the two main reasons. It drives me insane the way we stick round abouts on motorways/dual carriageways the way we do :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EmptyTree wrote: »
    From memory at the time I think the conversation on this thread was that cost and space were the two main reasons. It drives me insane the way we stick round abouts on motorways/dual carriageways the way we do :mad:

It's so stupid. Why build a road with x capacity and then slop a roundabout in the middle of it with 0.5x capacity? It only leads to one thing...

You'd think we'd learn from:

M1/M50
    N2/M50
    N3/M50
    N4/M50
    N7/M50
    Newlands Cross
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle
    N71/N40 Bandon Road
    N71/N40 Sarsfield Road
    N27/N40 Kinsale Road
    N6 roundabout at Coolagh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Roadfan wrote: »
    Wonder about local information or briefing sessions?
    That's not a bad idea.

I'm surprised to hear the Tuam bypass part has a roundabout at the start. Is it not a dual carriageway as well, and does it mean the m-way is not going to be continued north some time in the future?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

plodder wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea.

I'm surprised to hear the Tuam bypass part has a roundabout at the start. Is it not a dual carriageway as well, and does it mean the m-way is not going to be continued north some time in the future?

No, the motorway was always intended to finish just south of Tuam as projected traffic volumes do not justify extending it further north. Future upgrades north of Tuam will be type 2 DC (2+2) and roundabouts are an integral part of the design of 2+2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quackster wrote: »
    No, the motorway was always intended to finish just south of Tuam as projected traffic volumes do not justify extending it further north. Future upgrades north of Tuam will be type 2 DC (2+2) and roundabouts are an integral part of the design of 2+2.

Why is there no roundabout where the M6 turns into the N6 at the Atlone bypass (both ends) and the end of the M6 outside Galway?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Why is there no roundabout where the M6 turns into the N6 at the Atlone bypass (both ends) and the end of the M6 outside Galway?

Well the Athlone bypass is type 1 DC so roundabouts wouldn't be part of the design mix.

Whether a roundabout or grade-separated arrangement is used for any junction on a 2+2 scheme would be determined by projected traffic flows though the junction, with reference to the design manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Possibly because they weren't necessary? the Tuam roundabouts are neccessary to provide interfaces between the N63/M17/N17.
    Alternative solutions would be hard to fathom... free flow junction would probably too expensive and complex in the space available and apart from Friday evenings when is there going to be the volume to justify a free flow at Tuam?

That said I can imagine traffic building up at either end of the Tuam BP at busy times. I think with the Northern roundabout in particular, they've left it a bit tight for improvement, widening/slip lanes in the future...

Roundabouts might be approved as parts of 2+2 designs but when not necessary (M6) why use 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Middle Man wrote: »

What the country needs is a series of TV Public Information advertisements on basic Motorway driving and etiquette.
    A lot of people really have no clue about lane discipline. They sit in the overtaking lane (even when there is nobody in the inner lane) and block drivers who want to overtake. If you use your indicator to remind them, or even flash them, they just think you are a roadhog and dig their heels in. Some of the worst offenders are those who drive most frequently - our beloved taxi-drivers.
    Also on 6 lane motorways such as the M50, or 6 lane DCs such as the N7 Newlands Cross-Naas route, the inner lane is so rarely used you could safely have a picnic or take your dog for a walk on it.
    If the government/NRA don't teach people the rules, then they will never learn to drive properly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Realistically, the N83 to Galway should be an R road and you'd then have a Rxxx from Galway to north of Tuam. Then it would be a regional road crossing a motorway/national primary and you could install a grade separated roundabout there. If there is no space then CPO the required space.

What you have now is a roundabout at either side of Tuam that'll become a magnet for development and suck more life out of Tuam and create more congestion at either side.

See Killarney, Clonmel etc for examples of how this plays out in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Has anyone travelled the old Gort - Galway Rd during rush hour?

Noticed any reduction in traffic?

Im thinking of the usual spots of Kilcolgan and particularly Clarinbridge. Also I suppose the approach to the City from the Maldron Oranmore and onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Damiencm wrote: »
    Has anyone travelled the old Gort - Galway Rd during rush hour?

Im thinking of the usual spots of Kilcolgan and particularly Clarinbridge. Also I suppose the approach to the City from the Maldron Oranmore and onwards

Massive reduction in traffic going this route (Ardrahan to Oranmore at 7.45am, opposite direction in the evenings). It's gone from an unpredictable annoyance to a pleasure to drive. As you get closer to Gort, the traffic starts to almost disappear. Drove from Gort to Labane last night (Sunday) at 9pm. This would normally have been bumper to bumper traffic heading back to Galway. Counted 6 cars in total coming against me between the Gort exit and Labane fuel station, and no car at all in front or behind me during the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Damiencm wrote: »

approach to the City from the Maldron Oranmore and onwards

Might be just coincidence and it was 10 am, but I drove on to the roundabout (from Oranmore side and turning right) without stopping, might be a first for me :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Hespy wrote: »
    Massive reduction in traffic going this route (Ardrahan to Oranmore at 7.45am, opposite direction in the evenings). It's gone from an unpredictable annoyance to a pleasure to drive. As you get closer to Gort, the traffic starts to almost disappear. Drove from Gort to Labane last night (Sunday) at 9pm. This would normally have been bumper to bumper traffic heading back to Galway. Counted 6 cars in total coming against me between the Gort exit and Labane fuel station, and no car at all in front or behind me during the journey.

Makes sense was on the new road at that time and I was surprised to see it so busy! Seems to have plenty of customers already!:D

Time to build some roads in Mayo now. Has anybody got the finger out up there?
    Kilkelly to Swinford is a path - could do with levelling it and widening it. Some trek from Tuam to Ballina in 2017.

Hey Folks, I need some help here, heading from Tuam to Clarinbridge in the morning. I assume exit at Kilternan and take signs for Kinvarra is the best route? Can't find any maps on line... even the project website map is pretty poor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

I dunno if Gort - Galway is any faster on the motorway vs the old road. I've done it twice and can't say I have noticed too much of a difference, plus the thought of driving 'away' just kills me.

Also, anyone notice the severe wind on the road over the weekend!? :eek:

I have to do a stop in C'bridge then onto Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hey Folks, I need some help here, heading from Tuam to Clarinbridge in the morning. I assume exit at Kilternan and take signs for Kinvarra is the best route? Can't find any maps on line... even the project website map is pretty poor...

Correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

whats the traffic like on M6 now approaching the main coolagh roundabout at Doughiska -- between 8 and 9am on Week mornings?
    Is it backing up loads, normally its out about 700 metres from coolagh roundabout, what it like since new road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at bauilpuil getting it's frist layer of tarmac 12/05/162017-05-27_11-49-19_zpsgmai0er3.jpg02/10/17IMAG2549_zpskpeqew3i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

turbbo wrote: »
    Makes sense was on the new road at that time and I was surprised to see it so busy! Seems to have plenty of customers already!:D

Time to build some roads in Mayo now. Has anybody got the finger out up there?
    Kilkelly to Swinford is a path - could do with levelling it and widening it. Some trek from Tuam to Ballina in 2017.

That'll never be upgraded. Were you not better of going Foxford, Bohola, Kiltimagh and Knock... We need a lot of investment on road in the west....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

That'll never be upgraded. Were you not better of going Foxford, Bohola, Kiltimagh and Knock... We need a lot of investment on road in the west....

What about upgrading the Ballavary-Balla road?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

mayota wrote: »

Haha...youre scraping the barrel with that suggestion.

The road from Ballina to Swinford is a disaster as is the road from Castlebar to Westport. Theyd be much more of a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

mayota wrote: »

Haha...youre scraping the barrel with that suggestion.

The road from Ballina to Swinford is a disaster as is the road from Castlebar to Westport. Theyd be much more of a priority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/53.1774/-8.8349

Advertisement