Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spiller78

OK, no break in the barrier, yes the wearing course being porous sounds plausible.
    The M4 had several sections like that and they used to set off a very loud buzz in the car as I passed over them, shortly after opening the contractors had to resurface whole sections of road and after that work was completed, the noise was gone.

I would be surprised if the contractor on that section got away without replacing it. It will not get any better. We will keep an eye on that patch with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Well, finally got on the m17/18 today, it seemed as if i was just putting M17s photos in sequence.. Fantastic piece of infrastructure for the west. I drove from Ennis to Ballyhaunis in just under 1.15 today, easily was over 2 hours of a drive during the afternoon the last time i done it... Noticed a tractor going south between kilternan and gort, definately not doing 50k, there was a fastrac going north and then further on there was a car stopped on the shoulder with the hazzards on... Think its time we lobbied some of our Local TDs to get the Curry to Colloney section on track and as TII have stated the full success of the M6/17/18 wont be seen until the Galway Ringroad is completed thats another project that should be foremost on peoples minds when they come looking for votes more than likely within the next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Spiller78 wrote: »
    There is no gap or change in the barrier but if you look at it again there is a joint on the Wearing Course at the start and at the end of this loud section. It possibly has something to do with the material in this section been more open or porous than normal.
    OK, no break in the barrier, yes the wearing course being porous sounds plausible.
    The M4 had several sections like that and they used to set off a very loud buzz in the car as I passed over them, shortly after opening the contractors had to resurface whole sections of road and after that work was completed, the noise was gone.

The same thing happens travelling Eastbound in the overtaking lane going over the Bandon Roundabout on the N40.

It almost sounds like that road is putting big pressure on the car differential. Sounds terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Think its time we lobbied some of our Local TDs to get the Curry to Colloney section on track

What a nightmare of a section of road, lethal. Add to that Sligo to the Bundoran bypass roundabout. The delivery of the Atlantic road corridor from Letterkenny to Cork will make such a huge difference to the west. Bring it on!

The same thing happens travelling Eastbound in the overtaking lane going over the Bandon Roundabout on the N40.

It almost sounds like that road is putting big pressure on the car differential. Sounds terrible.
    On the M4, the issue was the stone chips were too thinly spread and the surface was a bit like driving on marbles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

westtip wrote: »
    The delivery of the Atlantic road corridor from Letterkenny to Cork will make such a huge difference to the west. Bring it on!

Except for Kerry which gets completely bypassed with this talk of an 'Atlantic corridor' from Letterkenny to Cork. Kinda ironic given it's the most westerly county of all!

Back on topic, I was traveling southbound on the M17 Sunday afternoon, about 10km south of Tuam, when I noticed across in the northbound carriageway a car pulling onto the motorway extremely slowly from what appeared to be a service access. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The tuam bypass 03/10/17IMAG2558_zps3ds0ktpw.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 03/10/17IMAG2553_zps172i50te.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kingcon28

so still well backed up and presume about 700 metres back from coolagh roundabout.

1.3km today at 08.00

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Quackster wrote: »
    westtip wrote: »
    The delivery of the Atlantic road corridor from Letterkenny to Cork will make such a huge difference to the west. Bring it on!

Except for Kerry which gets completely bypassed with this talk of an 'Atlantic corridor' from Letterkenny to Cork. Kinda ironic given it's the most westerly county of all!

Back on topic, I was traveling southbound on the M17 Sunday afternoon, about 10km south of Tuam, when I noticed across in the northbound carriageway a car pulling onto the motorway extremely slowly from what appeared to be a service access. The mind boggles!

All of this regarding wrong way drivers reminds me of when Mullingar bypass opened early 90s. Happened to be in that neck of the woods and someone mentioned to me that local people were engaging driving instructors to take them around the new route and access roads etc. Have to applaud their initiative: first recognising that there was a problem and then do I g something about it. For a lot of people this will have been as if they never had any need or desire to go near say the M50 and then one day the M50 stood up and crossed the river Shannon and planted itself down around Ardrahan. In the M50 came to them. All understandable but I hope it doesn't lead to tragic consequences. And once again I would urge posters to report this type of thing to TII

• Advertisement

The m17 at kileelaun looking towards rathmorrissy 04/08/16IMAG6088_zpswmt8jgzo.jpg04/10/17IMAG2533_zpsuuogwnlh.jpg

Great pics M17 meant to say that aerial view of Tuam bypass yesterday was one of the best yet. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Is the M18 signage out by 10km? I notice when you come onto it from M6 it's already at 10km, I would have thought it would have started at 1km

The flyover at owenbristy on the m18 17/10/152017-09-12_12-37-47_zpsmjhy0mrs.jpg04/10/17IMAG2512_zpskgpyz2fu.jpg

glineli wrote: »
    Is the M18 signage out by 10km? I notice when you come onto it from M6 it's already at 10km, I would have thought it would have started at 1km

It's out by 9.5kms the old n18 goes form claregalway to rossbrien which is 100kms the new m18/n18 goes form rathmorrissy to rossbrien which is 91.5kms that's way you are seen 10kms when you join the m18 at rathmorrissy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

m17 wrote: »
    It's out by 9.5kms the old n18 goes form claregalway to rossbrien which is 100kms the new m18/n18 goes form rathmorrissy to rossbrien which is 91.5kms that's way you are seen 10kms when you join the m18 at rathmorrissy

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Just after helping an elderly couple out of their car as it was broke down on the new N17 Tuam Bypass. Its an absolute disaster that no hard shoulder was included on this section of road :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

paul2013 wrote: »
    Just after helping an elderly couple out of their car as it was broke down on the new N17 Tuam Bypass. Its an absolute disaster that no hard shoulder was included on this section of road :( .

All new reduced dual carriageways have no hard shoulder - there are refuge sections frequently enough. Cost savings are sufficient to let the road get built rather than not at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

L1011 wrote: »
    All new reduced dual carriageways have no hard shoulder - there are refuge sections frequently enough. Cost savings are sufficient to let the road get built rather than not at all.
    The idea of a 2+2 is flexibility IMO. For the most part, there is a continuous overtaking lane. In the event of a breakdown, the left lane becomes a de-facto hard shoulder - traffic should be light enough to render this concept feasible. Traditional hard shoulders (except motorways) are IMO a waste of space, money and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

glineli wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Ahh!! Makes total sense now. Thanks M17! :-)

If you think that's bad here's someone driving down the wrong way last Friday nighthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8sAXw6JQ8

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Middle Man wrote: »
    The idea of a 2+2 is flexibility IMO. For the most part, there is a continuous overtaking lane. In the event of a breakdown, the left lane becomes a de-facto hard shoulder - traffic should be light enough to render this concept feasible. Traditional hard shoulders (except motorways) are IMO as waste of space, money and resources.

This is it really - much better than endless kilometres of tarmac lying idle for 99.9% of the time whilst people are trying to overtake. Traffic volumes for 2+2s mean breakdowns/emergencies can be accommodated with traffic using the overtaking lane. The main issues would be with unlit breakdowns at night or people speeding, but those issues are an issue with the unshouldered twisty boreens that most of the 2+2s are replacing

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Nice schematic at start of this. Shows place names that have been referred to and to be honest wasntcsure where we were talking about. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

If you think that's bad here's someone driving down the wrong way last Friday nighthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8sAXw6JQ8
    You've good taste in music, fella...bit of Tori Amos there! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Don't know if this was posted earlier, but Robert Lally posted some drone footage of the Roadbridge section of the Motorway and the Tuam Bypass shortly before it opened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRty9Y0vTok

Usage:

As the new road statistics aren't up on the NRA Traffic Data site yet (naturally), I decided to look at the old road stats. Here's the N17 (now N83), from north of the Roscommon Road Junction (formerly N63):

429662.png

From the Thursday before the motorway opened (21st), to the day after the motorway opened (28th) the volume fell by over 5,000 :eek:

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this ...

Here's another counter, south of the N63 at Loughgeorge:

429670.png

The pattern is the same, but the absolute numbers are greater, and I've just spotted that the drop on the Friday was 6,000.

End of the tuam bypass at the mountpotter roundaboutIMAG6005_zpsbjseqk00.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Is the speed limit 100km/h on those type 2 DCs?

Advertisement