Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

plodder wrote: »
    Is the speed limit 100km/h on those type 2 DCs?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Ballygaddey road flyover looking towards Kilcloghans 04/01/17IMAG6008_zpsmlly3aru.jpg04/10/17IMAG2556_zpssdzjopbn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Roadfan wrote: »
    Quackster wrote: »
    westtip wrote: »
    The delivery of the Atlantic road corridor from Letterkenny to Cork will make such a huge difference to the west. Bring it on!

Except for Kerry which gets completely bypassed with this talk of an 'Atlantic corridor' from Letterkenny to Cork. Kinda ironic given it's the most westerly county of all!

Back on topic, I was traveling southbound on the M17 Sunday afternoon, about 10km south of Tuam, when I noticed across in the northbound carriageway a car pulling onto the motorway extremely slowly from what appeared to be a service access. The mind boggles!

All of this regarding wrong way drivers reminds me of when Mullingar bypass opened early 90s. Happened to be in that neck of the woods and someone mentioned to me that local people were engaging driving instructors to take them around the new route and access roads etc.  Have to applaud their initiative: first recognising that there was a problem and then do I g something about it.  For a lot of people this will have been as if they never had any need or desire to go near say the M50 and then one day the M50 stood up and crossed the river Shannon and planted itself down around Ardrahan. In the M50 came to them.  All understandable but I hope it doesn't lead to tragic consequences. And once again I would urge posters to report this type of thing to TII
    Surely you mean report it to the police ?
    I doubt the TII could do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

VR6 wrote: »
    Surely you mean report it to the police ?
    I doubt the TII could do anything

They might. They can contact contractors who are running the motorway. Relevant if there is a signage issue and I don't know the situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

m17 wrote: »
    RATHMORRISSY 03/10/17IMAG2553_zps172i50te.jpg

Is it just the photo, or does that sign imply that you should be in the hard shoulder if exiting for Sligo and Limerick ?!
    It all looks like it needs to be slid over towards the centre of the gantry !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

VR6 wrote: »
    Is it just the photo, or does that sign imply that you should be in the hard shoulder if exiting for Sligo and Limerick ?!
    It all looks like it needs to be slid over towards the centre of the gantry !
    No it means take the exit in 500m if required.

If it was telling you to use the hard shoulder (or an auxilliary lane if applicable), the arrow would be pointing directly down.

marno21 wrote: »
    Also, if there's any issue with the new road it's best to contact TII and the PPP concessionaires as they maintain and operate the road

www.gorttotuam.ie

Just quoting Marno 21 post again for info

Roadfan wrote: »
    Just quoting Marno 21 post again for info

The number is here if you want to give them a ringIMAG2473_zpswpjoio4i.jpg

M18 junction 16 gort looking towards Limerick 30/08/17IMAG2354_zpsvbncatgo.jpg05/10/17IMAG2559_zpsd1kc4taa.jpglooking towards rathmorrissy30/08/17IMAG2355_zpsrzqn1855.jpg05/10/17IMAG2560_zpsckyfxqbp.jpg

M17 junction 19 annagh hillIMAG6011_zpsjxvzov8s.jpg

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISSY 06/09/15IMAG6012_zpsapjvk85c.jpeg26/07/17IMAG6009_zpswr23edub.jpg01/09/17IMAG5799_zpst22ypknk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Thanks M17 for the updates.

My trip at the weekend (Dual carriageway and Motorway)

M1, M50, N4, M4 and M6 to Rathmorissey.
    Rathmorrissey on M17 to Tuam Roundabout.
    Back to Limerick on M17 M18, N18 and back to Dublin on the M7.

The road to Limerick from Tuam is excellent. However, an MSA is required between Tuam and Ennis.

I remember the days when you had to enter the N18 dual carriageway from Shannon going to Limerick via the fast lane:rolleyes:.

RATHMORRISSY 06/09/15IMAG6012_zpsapjvk85c.jpeg26/07/17IMAG6009_zpswr23edub.jpg01/09/17IMAG5799_zpst22ypknk.jpg

On the way to the m17/m18 for a first look

Entered motorway around 17.10. Arrived end of Tuam bypass at 17.40. Great as M17 updates are nothing beats driving on it. Traffic generally light in both directions. Impressive is understating it especially when e n you think about what you're avoiding. Travelling this route intermittently since Paddy's Day 1990. A lot of changes since then but this has to be the biggest and most time saving one. Rock cuts add a nice feature to the road. Tuam bypass itself impressive . Tend to forget it as it's overshadowed by its big brother. Bat bridge looks well even without bats. No one driving in wrong direction.

The m18 at coldwood 22/06/15IMAG0242_zpsuh19bbln.jpg05/10/17IMAG2521_zpscrvbpldz.jpgkiltiernan 22/11/15IMAG1045_zpsf15c6635.jpg05/10/17IMAG2513_zpsxn1cbkal.jpg

The rock cut on the m17 at ballybanagher 25/06/15IMAG0182_zpsd5cr4iwn.jpg05/10/17IMAG2540_zpswigaqz2a.jpgI just wanted to thank everyone for all the brilliant comments over the past 33 months hope you have enjoyed the pics and updates as much I have and also thanks to everyone for making this the best road forum on boards it's been epic form start to finish yours m17

Beams heading for rathmorrissy 22/11/15IMAG6014_zps5g48oreh.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

^^ Impressive! ^^

That shot must have been taken in Co. Offaly - isn't that where most of country's pre-cast bridge beams are made?

Middle Man wrote: »
    ^^ Impressive! ^^

That shot must have been taken in Co. Offaly - isn't that where most of country's pre-cast bridge beams are made?

There from banagher concrete here they are in place over the m62017-08-26_03-26-06_zpstvgy1kys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They look so much bigger on the truck.

And yes I do know those are near while those are far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Drove the new stretch of the M18 for the first time today. I travel from east Galway to Cork and back regularly, so I'm delighted with it! The road from Gort to home used to be the worst stretch of road on the journey. It has taken 15 minutes or so off the journey anyway.

That bat bridge is impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the brilliant comments over the past 33 months hope you have enjoyed the pics and updates as much I have and also thanks to everyone for making this the best road forum on boards it's been epic form start to finish yours m17

It's us that should be thanking you.

Now, off to Oilgate with you to update on the M11, bring the campervan, bike, the drone and a decent 4G data package :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I see they're in the process of changing signs on the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ah honestly who gives a sh1t? No pun intended.

Pull off at an exit and find a service station. Use the numerous apps for it if needs be. Most people know the old road and/or the tech to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Ah honestly who gives a sh1t? No pun intended.

Pull off at an exit and find a service station. Use the numerous apps for it if needs be. Most people know the old road and/or the tech to find one

Well the EU apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wonder are they leaving the 50 km/h speed limit at the Coldwood bridge? Starts a long way out on the Galway side and includes the bridge itself.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Heard the usual 'Traffic congestion - Claregaway' line again today on Morning Irealnd's AA Road watch slot, plus the Bothar Na dTreabh congestion.

Has nothing changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Heard the usual 'Traffic congestion - Claregaway' line again today on Morning Irealnd's AA Road watch slot, plus the Bothar Na dTreabh congestion.

Has nothing changed?

I doubt it. The road facilitates north-south long distance traffic, not commuters to Galway.

Personally travelling Athlone to Ennis next week so will go m6-M18. Odd trips like that are made easier. Commutes, not so

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

First of all M17, thanks for all the posts.

Just curious really, were you actively involved and working on this project or are you just a normal joe soap like ourselves on the outside of things

Advertisement