Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

First of all M17, thanks for all the posts.

Just curious really, were you actively involved and working on this project or are you just a normal joe soap like ourselves on the outside of things

I'm not involved with this project I'm just a fan that likes to keep you updated on progress

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Heard the usual 'Traffic congestion - Claregaway' line again today on Morning Irealnd's AA Road watch slot, plus the Bothar Na dTreabh congestion.

Has nothing changed?

Clarinbridge is now traffic free.

The queue this morning on the N17 approaching Bothar na dTreabh was 3x the length of the queue at the Coolagh roundabout, in addition to there being slow traffic through Claregalway. I'm not sure why traffic is still so attracted to the old N17.

Bothar na dTreabh will remain a mess until the new Galway Ring Road is built

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

m17 wrote: »
    I'm not involved with this project I'm just a fan that likes to keep you updated on progress

I think you should have been involved. :)
    You would have some passion if you were involved :) a lot more than some of the lads working on it - I would imagine ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

marno21 wrote: »
    Heard the usual 'Traffic congestion - Claregaway' line again today on Morning Irealnd's AA Road watch slot, plus the Bothar Na dTreabh congestion.

Has nothing changed?

The queue this morning on the N17 approaching Bothar na dTreabh was 3x the length of the queue at the Coolagh roundabout, in addition to there being slow traffic through Claregalway. I'm not sure why traffic is still so attracted to the old N17.

Shorter distance and familiarity, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has nothing changed?

Some change has happened, CG village is quieter off peak and weekends, Carnmore/oranmore road into CG is noticeably quiter at peak times. But the main N17 peak time traffic hasn't changed much as many people here predicted.

• Advertisement

The bat bridge 31/10/16IMAG6021_zps60n3jtjj.jpg06/10/17IMAG2506_zps1yx05k56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I'm not sure why traffic is still so attracted to the old N17.

Probably because google maps has yet to update and once it does it show people how much quicker the motorway is

The m18 going over the Galway to dublin railway line 06/10/15IMAG0407_zpsjz4pieku.jpg06/10/17IMAG2578_zpsfd36xnfm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 simulacra75

Just did a run to the parents house in Sligo from Ennis. Left at 3.10pm and arrived at 5.10pm.

On the "old" road that would have been 2hrs 30mins, at a minimum, 2hrs 45mins + more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

This is the reason the traffic is so addicted to the old N17
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

paul2013 wrote: »

This is the reason the traffic is so addicted to the old N17
    ;)

Pretty sure it's got more to do with shorter distances thsn a song....;-)

Pretty sure it's got more to do with shorter distances thsn a song....;-)

The Kilmore roundabout to the gpo Galway m17/m6/n6 is 45.2kms,the Kilmore roundabout to the gpo Galway going the old n17 now n83 is 31kms

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

I've been travelling from Clare to Donegal/Tyrone fairly regularly since about 1998. Back then you went through every town on the way, most of them with a right angle bend on the main rd in the middle of the town, causing tail backs. Since then I have seen :

- Claremorris/Knock bypass
    - Sligo (sort of) "bypass"
    - Donegal Town bypass
    - Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass
    - Ennis-Gort Motorway
    - Various road improvements (e.g. just north of Tuam; Milltown-Balindine)
    - Others I have probably forgotten

This M18/M17 is just about the final piece of the jigsaw, removing the last remaining potential bottlenecks at Clarinbridge, Oranmore, Claregalway & Tuam though I still find the N17 from Tubbercurry to Collooney a bit tedious , and Sligo could really do with a proper bypass, not one that goes by the edge of town with traffic lights every 200 yards

Any other improvements in the planning on these roads?

Sometime next summer I want to drive the "old road" all the way as much as possible, for a laugh. I can work out many bits of it, but if anyone has information on whether it is even possible to get on the old N17 just north of Tuam, I think that is the bit I am missing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

tombrown wrote: »
    I've been travelling from Clare to Donegal/Tyrone fairly regularly since about 1998. Back then you went through every town on the way, most of them with a right angle bend on the main rd in the middle of the town, causing tail backs. Since then I have seen :

- Claremorris/Knock bypass
    - Sligo (sort of) "bypass"
    - Donegal Town bypass
    - Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass
    - Ennis-Gort Motorway
    - Various road improvements (e.g. just north of Tuam; Milltown-Balindine)
    - Others I have probably forgotten

This M18/M17 is just about the final piece of the jigsaw, removing the last remaining potential bottlenecks at Clarinbridge, Oranmore, Claregalway & Tuam though I still find the N17 from Tubbercurry to Collooney a bit tedious , and Sligo could really do with a proper bypass, not one that goes by the edge of town with traffic lights every 200 yards

Any other improvements in the planning on these roads?

Sometime next summer I want to drive the "old road" all the way as much as possible, for a laugh. I can work out many bits of it, but if anyone has information on whether it is even possible to get on the old N17 just north of Tuam, I think that is the bit I am missing
    The next improvements are the N17 Tobercurry-Collooney and the N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass (not sure if you are going this far north).

Neither of these will start construction in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

The next improvements are the N17 Tobercurry-Collooney and the N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass (not sure if you are going this far north).

Neither of these will start construction in the next 5 years.

Thanks - these days mostly head out to Dungloe, so turn just before Ballybofey (cut the corner) but sometimes head to Strabane, so the bypass will help there

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

You've good taste in music, fella...bit of Tori Amos there! ;-)

Are you related to the Belfast Van the Man?. Bright side of the road playing on the car stereo or for some hope it's Right side if the road. Anyway one last gripe even if not specific to Gort Tuam. Lane discipline leaves a lot to be desired in thus country. Indicators seen as an optional extra. Some drivers would be dangerous in charge of a supermarket trolley.

Anyway thanks again all for comments and updates especially M17 .

Roll on Cork Limerick

☺☺☺

The m18 at coldwood 12/03/16IMAG1504_zpsk9vj32zc.jpgThe m18 at coldwood 07/10/17IMAG2579_zpsehivwlfm.jpg

Rathmorrisy 01/09/17IMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpgrathmorrisy facts five flyovers,roundabout ciculatory carriageway 970 metres,there are 12 slip roads totaling 9kms,it took 23 months from start to finish ,cost 35 million

The m17 at sheeaunpark 18/10/162017-08-23_06-28-16_zpsgak0c3gv.jpg07/10/17IMAG2501_zpsuzywkgtd.jpg

M18 junction 16 gort 24/12/14IMAG0167_zpsvh0jg6qn.jpg08/10/17IMAG2560_zpsckyfxqbp.jpg

• Advertisement

THE M17 AT CARTHYMORE 16/04/162017-08-26_11-20-11_zpsevfiorua.jpg08/10/17IMAG2338_zps2qfbf1ag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Rathmorrisy 01/09/17IMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpgrathmorrisy facts five flyovers,roundabout ciculatory carriageway 970 metres,there are 12 slip roads totaling 9kms,it took 23 months from start to finish ,cost 35 million

Is this where the missing 9km are on the M18? with the marker post stopped at 9.5? Interested to know.... :confused:

paul2013 wrote: »
    Is this where the missing 9km are on the M18? with the marker post stopped at 9.5? Interested to know.... :confused:

The old n18 goes form claregalway to rossbrein which is 100kms,the new m18/n18 goes from rathmorrisy to rossbrein that is 91.5kms that's the reason is short by 9.5kms2017-08-25_09-19-42_zpsxfekcdc6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The old n18 goes form claregalway to rossbrein which is 100kms,the new m18/n18 goes from rathmorrisy to rossbrein that is 91.5kms that's the reason is short by 9.5kms

Why didn't they adjust the numbers?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why didn't they adjust the numbers?

Because replacing 65km worth of signs was more expensive than erecting 27km of wrong ones.

The signs are only symbolic indicators of where you are on the motorway and aren't for use for distance measuring purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If they're not correct, what's the point in having them then?

These signs aren't for measuring distance, they are arbitrary numbers used for location in the event of an emergency or for administrative use by motorway services. The sign says "M18 S 9.5", not "M18 S 9.5km". There is nothing wrong or incorrect about them.

If TII went and replaced all the incorrect signs you'd have people moaning about how much money was wasted on the replacement signs to no real advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are chainage indicators for locational purposes; not distance indicators - they are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭roadmaster

These signs aren't for measuring distance, they are arbitrary numbers used for location in the event of an emergency or for administrative use by motorway services. The sign says "M18 S 9.5", not "M18 S 9.5km". There is nothing wrong or incorrect about them.

If TII went and replaced all the incorrect signs you'd have people moaning about how much money was wasted on the replacement signs to no real advantage.

It might not be a bad idea to replace a lot of signs as some are very bad I often wonder did the some one do a Homer Simpson and think a Kilometre is just a European mile!

• Advertisement

M18 at caranavoodavn 22/11/162017-08-18_06-36-12_zpsufbjjxy7.jpg08/10/17IMAG2108_zpskopz3gys.jpg

Advertisement