Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Roadfan wrote: »
    You've good taste in music, fella...bit of Tori Amos there! ;-)

Are you related to the Belfast Van the Man?. Bright side of the road playing on the car stereo or for some hope it's Right side if the road. Anyway one last gripe even if not specific to Gort Tuam. Lane discipline leaves a lot to be desired in thus country. Indicators seen as an optional extra. Some drivers would be dangerous in charge of a supermarket trolley.

Anyway thanks again all for comments and updates especially M17 .

Roll on Cork Limerick

☺☺☺
    Not me, I'm afraid! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M18 junction 17 kilteirnan 16/07/16IMAG1950_zpsqwz8wmwy.jpg07/10/17IMAG5999_zpsvfardmpa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Someone is going to get stuffed pretty soon on the Kilmore roundabout in Tuam. Coming off the bypass yesterday and heading straight on to the motorway, there were 2 cars coming out from tuam town. The first had a bit of time to pull out in front of me but I thought they hadn't even seen me. Sure enough the second car drove straight onto the roundabout without even looking. I nearly flattened her only for I thought she might do it.
    Seriously, I know the N17 used to be a straight through road but roundabout rules not apply with the bypass having right of way over traffic exiting the town....complete idiots all over it yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Saw the same scenario the day after it opened. A bus pulled out in front of a car, luckily enough the driver was alert enough. There's hardly some blind spot or optical illusion that's causing this behaviour

The m18 at raheen/kikelly 13/02/162016-11-22_07-12-42_zpspvbuc9qn.jpg04/10/17 IMAG2261_zpsesdnyiyl.jpg

• Advertisement

UsBus wrote: »
    Someone is going to get stuffed pretty soon on the Kilmore roundabout in Tuam. Coming off the bypass yesterday and heading straight on to the motorway, there were 2 cars coming out from tuam town. The first had a bit of time to pull out in front of me but I thought they hadn't even seen me. Sure enough the second car drove straight onto the roundabout without even looking. I nearly flattened her only for I thought she might do it.
    Seriously, I know the N17 used to be a straight through road but roundabout rules not apply with the bypass having right of way over traffic exiting the town....complete idiots all over it yesterday...
    Sounds like some drivers haven't adjusted their driving to the fact that the roundabout is open and in use.
    A shunt will soon remind them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Maybe done to death but...

How did galway coco get away with the ridiculous road remembering between tuam and bothair na dtreabh? Aside from their poor mouth cries, what was unique about their argument to still send national traffic through claregalway?

The kilmore roundabout 09/04/17IMAG6022_zps8vbikufv.jpg09/10/17IMAG2592_zps0gawudyf.jpg

The flyover at Kilcloghans on the tuam bypass 06/06/15IMAG2500_zpscclm7pjh.jpg09/10/15IMAG2501_zpszz1p0jif.jpg09/10/17IMAG2584_zpsp70c8fyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone was looking for the M17 on openstreetmap.org - it's here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/53.3370/-8.8660 but pressing Ctrl and F5 on your keyboard may update it.

Photos can be uploaded to https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=53.29878732200109&lng=-8.722105805878897&z=9.268395249135725 to be shared with their location mapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

When will the new road be updated in Google maps? Still not showing.

When will the new road be updated in Google maps? Still not showing.

Not being smart, but it gets updated when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Not being smart, but it gets updated when they feel like it.

I reported it to Google; apparently there's currently a global shortage on blue pixels, so update is not imminent

The tuam bypass 16/08/152017-03-23_01-55-22_zpslf5xmnm6.jpg09/10/17IMAG2556_zpssdzjopbn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

UsBus wrote: »
    Sounds like some drivers haven't adjusted their driving to the fact that the roundabout is open and in use.
    A shunt will soon remind them!
    NRA should erect 4 big signs (one for each exit from r'bout saying "Give way to traffic coming from the right"
    ..at least until locals get used to using the new roundabout.

The m17 at brockagh 13/04/162017-10-10_12-33-18_zpsunrwxosq.jpg10/10/17IMAG2549_zpskpeqew3i.jpg

The m17 at kilskeagh 22/06/16IMAG1577_zps0ckp3jco.jpg08/10/17IMAG2421_zpsermb0jfm.jpg

Top of the m17/m18 flyover at rathmorrisy 22/06/16IMAG2255_zpso6nqssny.jpg16/09/172017-08-25_09-20-18_zpsomwuwbvv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

VR6 wrote: »
    NRA should erect 4 big signs (one for each exit from r'bout saying "Give way to traffic coming from the right"

Christ almighty people shouldn't need a sign to tell them how to use a roundabout!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

M18 Dash Cam Footage by JensRoads:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

What did this project cost? and what is the typical cost of 1km of Motorway I know thats like saying how long is a piece of string etc. But after todays budget I was wondering how much new Motorways we could have built if funds spent elsewhere were diverted into such a task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

m17 wrote: »
    Photos

These photos are quite striking with the blue skies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The bat bridge heading northbound, 07/10/2017. Also featured: reflected parking ticket. Beep beep!

25_A7_C35_F-3737-4_CCB-_BCDF-3_CB2_CA20_B5_D2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Middle Man wrote: »
    M18 Dash Cam Footage by JensRoads:

Just wondering why you would see 'Dublin' sign posted on the overhead gantry's when heading westbound for Galway (2.22 on video) This must be very confusing for locals as well as tourists!! Continuing on further, the video takes the slip road to the left and immediately you see a sign at a Y in the road Right for Dublin?? and Left for M6 Galway even though you just came off the M6 for Galway WTF?? Surely that sign should say left for M18 south to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Paddystix

CALL FOR CLAREGALWAY BYPASS AS DATA SHOWS LITTLE CHANGE IN TRAFFIC FOLLOWING M17 OPENING

http://galwaybayfm.ie/call-claregalway-bypass-data-shows-little-change-traffic-following-m17-opening/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Paddystix wrote: »
    CALL FOR CLAREGALWAY BYPASS AS DATA SHOWS LITTLE CHANGE IN TRAFFIC FOLLOWING M17 OPENING

http://galwaybayfm.ie/call-claregalway-bypass-data-shows-little-change-traffic-following-m17-opening/

Galway County Council were given 500m to solve the issue and they have apparently failed. They can fund their own second attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Doltanian wrote: »
    What did this project cost? and what is the typical cost of 1km of Motorway I know thats like saying how long is a piece of string etc. But after todays budget I was wondering how much new Motorways we could have built if funds spent elsewhere were diverted into such a task.

Over 500m for 57km

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Paddystix wrote: »

This shows a complete lack of understanding of the cause of the traffic problems since the opening of the motorway.. The back up is caused by extra traffic arriving into Galway quicker with the opening of the new motorway.
    The only way to stop people using the old N17 is to build the Galway City Bypass which the latest design will allow all parkmore/ ballybrit industrial estate workers get into work directly off the motorway.

Bypassing Claregalway will get the traffic through the village even quicker and add to the tailbacks into Galway city.

No. 1 priority now is the City Bypass and the first section joining the motorway to the 2 biggest industrial estates (Parkmore/ Ballybrit) in the west of Ireland should be started even if the rest of the bypass does not get planning.

If 70% of the daily traffic (coming from EAST/ NORTH/ SOUTH Galway) working in Parkmore/ Ballybrit could get to/ from work directly from the motorway - it would have a massive effect on our city.

We wait in hope! In the mean time these people need to focus their attentions on pushing the outer bypass only.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Kevwoody wrote: »
    VR6 wrote: »

Christ almighty people shouldn't need a sign to tell them how to use a roundabout!!
    Evidently they do for this one though. When there's a roundabout on a dual carriageway with minor roads off it, people often mistakenly think the main road traffic has the right of way.
    Would you really prefer a crash to a mildly patronising roadsign ?

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »

This project cost was 550 million for 53kms of motorway and 4.2kms of dual carriageway it's working out at 9.6 million a km

Advertisement