Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Mahangh bridge 6kms form tuam 12/06/152017-01-01_01-32-18_zps9uwnp9sr.jpg12/10/17IMAG2594_zps0zz6o2db.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Don't know exactly why, but I do remember that when the M6 was being built it was done in sections and various consortia tendered for the work. That complete section (Athlone-Ballinasloe afaik) was a done as a single stand alone project by a consortium. It does look a bit out of place compared to the rest of it but it's fine.

When you say steel barriers are "fine" I take it you do not ride a motorcycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Where will this data centre access the M6? Junction 17 Athenry?
    Correct.

The rock cut at ballybanagher on the m17 15/08/152017-09-04_02-06-27_zps0pgyiian.jpg16/04/162017-09-26_06-40-49_zpsjnpwm1s7.jpg27/09/17IMAG1928_zpsaeyfqfpf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't know exactly why, but I do remember that when the M6 was being built it was done in sections and various consortia tendered for the work. That complete section (Athlone-Ballinasloe afaik) was a done as a single stand alone project by a consortium. It does look a bit out of place compared to the rest of it but it's fine.

AFAIK when it opened, the NRA decreed that any new motorway schemes (not 2+2) would have to have concrete barriers from now on. I don't think they were terribly impressed that this contractor used the wire barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

This may have been asked a while back in the thread so I apologise. Would anyone know why the KM marking boards are 10km out of sync for the joining of the M18 to the M17?

Also,why was a separate unique bridge design used for one bridge on the M18 and no place else? The span doesn't look any greater than the other single span bridges. It is a lovely looking bridge compared to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

This may have been asked a while back in the thread so I apologise. Would anyone know why the KM marking boards are 10km out of sync for the joining of the M18 to the M17?

Also,why was a separate unique bridge design used for one bridge on the M18 and no place else? The span doesn't look any greater than the other single span bridges. It is a lovely looking bridge compared to the others.

The bridge is a special bridge for bats to cross the motorway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

red bull wrote: »
    The bridge is a special bridge for bats to cross the motorway
    The bridge also looks like a bat on approach - whether that's intentional or coincidental, I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Middle Man wrote: »
    The bridge also looks like a bat on approach - whether that's intentional or coincidental, I don't know...

I would hope intentional!

The old n18/m18 goes form claregalway to rossbrien which is 100kms the new m18n18 goes form rathmorrissy to rossbrien which is 91.5kms that's way the signs are out by 9.5kms ,that's the bat bridge which is used by bats who have roasting nests on both sides of the motorway the bat season is June,July,August,top of the bat bridgeIMAG3155_zpslkkxu2ef.jpgthe bat bridgeIMAG2506_zpsycysdb5j.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    I would hope intentional!

Certainly a better looking bridge for the bats than the pedestrian bridge in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

When you say steel barriers are "fine" I take it you do not ride a motorcycle?

I am aware that motorcyclists are not fans of the steel barriers as they can have very negative impacts if accidents occur etc. I wasn't denigrating motorcyclists, but the reality is that the bulk of traffic on the route is cars/trucks/buses etc. is a concrete barrier that much better in a high speed high energy impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

Funding for cork limerick just announced :-)

The tuam bypassIMAG6027_zps3ptp7k8w.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Funding for cork limerick just announced :-)

€20m for initial design and planning. Nothing to get too excited about

m17 wrote: »

I'd rather use the bat bridge, shorter distance to cross for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I'd rather use the bat bridge, shorter distance to cross for sure.
    To be fair, it's not really any greater distance than before the bypass and bridge were built.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quackster wrote: »
    €20m for initial design and planning. Nothing to get too excited about

This isn't targeted at you; but they aren't going to turn up in Mallow on Monday with diggers and shovels.

The scheme is activated again; it has to go through all the processes Gort-Tuam went through. It would have to go through these processes no matter when it was restarted so at least now we can be happy the wheels are in motion again and we haven't lost any further time

To be fair, it's not really any greater distance than before the bypass and bridge were built.

I would say nearly double the walking distance.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

marno21 wrote: »
    This isn't targeted at you; but they aren't going to turn up in Mallow on Monday with diggers and shovels.

The scheme is activated again; it has to go through all the processes Gort-Tuam went through. It would have to go through these processes no matter when it was restarted so at least now we can be happy the wheels are in motion again and we haven't lost any further time

Oh, I totally agree it's a necessary step in the right direction. I'm simply pointing out that it's merely the initial phase and involves absolutely no guarantee as to when the motorway will actually be built. So folk shouldn't be getting too excited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quackster wrote: »
    Oh, I totally agree it's a necessary step in the right direction. I'm simply pointing out that it's merely the initial phase and involves absolutely no guarantee as to when the motorway will actually be built. So folk shouldn't be getting too excited.

Be that as it may, no further steps can be taken until all this is complete. So for the minute, this project is as active as it can possibly be. Let's take that into account and be happy that the scheme is going ahead as of now.

We can worry about the land and construction finance when it has planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I am aware that motorcyclists are not fans of the steel barriers as they can have very negative impacts if accidents occur etc. I wasn't denigrating motorcyclists, but the reality is that the bulk of traffic on the route is cars/trucks/buses etc. is a concrete barrier that much better in a high speed high energy impact?
    "Negative impact" indeed. If you hit a concrete barrier at a shallow angle & have motorcycle gear (designed to slide along the road to some extent) you have some chance of surviving in some shape. The steel uprights offer potential for one bit of you to go one side & other bits of you to ...... let's not be too graphic here. They are consequently colloquially refereed to as cheese wires by those who choose 2 wheels. Anyhow we stray off topic I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I notice temporary "Wrong way, Turn Back" signs have been erected on the M17 18/M6 interchange roundabout to the right of all slip roads, are people really that clueless?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

According to Evening Echo Taoiseach confirms funding for N,20 on his trip to Cork

Roadfan wrote: »
    According to Evening Echo Taoiseach confirms funding for N,20 on his trip to Cork

Sorry didn't see earlier posts

flazio wrote: »
    I notice temporary "Wrong way, Turn Back" signs have been erected on the M17 18/M6 interchange roundabout to the right of all slip roads, are people really that clueless?

If you look at previous posts and some of M17 dashcam footage you'll find that the answer to your question is yes.

flazio wrote: »

It's not the people its the bad signs on the roundabout,this sign as all the cities but there is nothing for Limerick and people are doing u turns so those wrong way signs where put inIMAG2552_zps41rcrplt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's not the people its the bad signs on the roundabout,this sign as all the cities but there is nothing for Limerick and people are doing u turns so those wrong way signs where put in
    I understand the confusion. You get onto the roundabout looking for the Limerick exit and then you see no signs for Limerick.

Would it have been that much trouble to add an extra sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

serfboard wrote: »
    I understand the confusion. You get onto the roundabout looking for the Limerick exit and then you see no signs for Limerick.

Would it have been that much trouble to add an extra sign?

The only ones seeing that sign should be cars that have come from limerick direction ......

• Advertisement

The only ones seeing that sign should be cars that have come from limerick direction ......

What about the cars coming from the Galway direction they also see this sign

Advertisement