Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    It's not the people its the bad signs on the roundabout,this sign as all the cities but there is nothing for Limerick and people are doing u turns so those wrong way signs where put inIMAG2552_zps41rcrplt.jpg
    The sign pointing to the right should simply read...

ALL OTHER ROUTES >

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

They have changed the speed limit on the slip roads at rathmorrissy they have gone from 60 to 65kph way didn't make it 80kphIMAG2605_zpsuiemgr7f.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    They have changed the speed limit on the slip roads at rathmorrissy they have gone from 60 to 65kph way didn't make it 80kph<snip>
    I wonder if those signs are stating advisory maximum speed rather than legal limits. AFFIAK, legal speed limits can be...

120kph - Motorways and HQDCs;
    100kph - National Roads and high spec Regional Roads;
    80kph - National Default Limit for all other roads;
    60kph - Upper Urban Speed Limit - other situations may apply;
    50kph - Lower Urban Speed Limit - other situations may apply;
    30kph - Specially prescribed residential/urban speed limits.

For anyone looking for a navigation app with the new road, Maps.Me is based on Openstreetmap. They've just done their monthly updates so are now showing the new road.

Available for android and iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Middle Man wrote: »
    The sign pointing to the right should simply read...

ALL OTHER ROUTES >

Signs generally leave a lot to be desired in this country. I haven't noticed any problem but then I'm familiar with the route. A lot of the time the way signs it seems as if it is assumed that you have "the knowledge". Not much use if you don t. That said if people are turning back for whatever reason it must mean that some sort of education campaign is needed. It's astonishing. Not putting up wrong way turn back signs at the places in question would be as Sir,Humphrey would have said " very brave"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Traffic Corps to be posted at the Coolagh roundabout from 7:30am - 9am in the mornings to help with traffic. Also at 3 other junctions

http://connachttribune.ie/radical-scheme-see-traffic-corps-manning-key-junctions-320/
    Councillor Peter Keane, who put forward the notice of motion, said the city’s traffic problem has passed the point of crisis, and some people are in their cars for up to 90 minutes each evening to travel just a couple of kilometres.

A few bikes maybe?

marno21 wrote: »
    Traffic Corps to be posted at the Coolagh roundabout from 7:30am - 9am in the mornings to help with traffic. Also at 3 other junctions

http://connachttribune.ie/radical-scheme-see-traffic-corps-manning-key-junctions-320/

A few bikes maybe?

A few more buses and P+R sites would be more like it in the short term. Cycling will only add another velocity of movement to the road system where buses would move at generally the same speed as cars in the city - better footpaths are needed too to encourage walking. To me, there are two alternative long term solutions:

1. Galway Ring Road and Galtrans (Tram System and Commuter Rail);
    2. Build a new city from scratch - if ground conditions can be overcome, Athenry would be the perfect location - a pair of motorways and a pair of railways crisscrossing each other there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2. Build a new city from scratch - if ground conditions can be overcome, Athenry would be the perfect location - a pair of motorways and a pair of railways crisscrossing each other there!

This is Ireland I could never see our government doing something like that even though it is 100% a brilliant idea. And it should have a proper underground light rail system. As good an idea the Luas was it is flawed it should be underground as it takes up valuable road space and then also has to stop for traffic and such totally useless.

Roadfan wrote: »
    This is Ireland I could never see our government doing something like that even though it is 100% a brilliant idea. And it should have a proper underground light rail system. As good an idea the Luas was it is flawed it should be underground as it takes up valuable road space and then also has to stop for traffic and such totally useless.
    Baile Milton Keynes, sounds great on paper, but I see little chance of it ever geting into reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Athenry............. as a new city,,, well you might have planning problems.............. just ask Apple. !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

flazio wrote: »
    I notice temporary "Wrong way, Turn Back" signs have been erected on the M17 18/M6 interchange roundabout to the right of all slip roads, are people really that clueless?

Yes, these signs are most definitely needed in Ireland. Motorways are relatively new here and many drivers - particularly older drivers unaccostomed to using motorways - could and have made dangerous mistakes like driving down the wrong carriageway. There have been a few fatal accidents of this nature.

The coolough roundabout 13/10/17IMAG2603_zpsds5owfdw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Baile Milton Keynes, sounds great on paper, but I see little chance of it ever geting into reality.

I see In being quoted but I didn't comment on that topic. Doesn't matter but in case there's some technical issue with the thread

The rock cut at ballybanagher 14/10/15IMAG0813_zpspw8xwphn.jpg14/10/17IMAG2540_zpswigaqz2a.jpg

The kilmore roundabout 14/10/17IMAG2593_BURST002_zps22ppl5oj.jpgthey still haven't named the road between the kilmore and mountpotter roundabouts

The accommodation flyover at roveagh on the m18 14/10/16IMAG6047_zpsq7nre97k.jpg14/10/17IMAG2516_zpsjicgjnwv.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wonder if those signs are stating advisory maximum speed rather than legal limits.

Yeah, a speed limit that ends in 5 is an advisory sort limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, a speed limit that ends in 5 is an advisory sort limit.

More specifically, a sign that isn’t round with a red border isn’t a speed limit. You also see those advisory limits with black outer rings instead of the binding red ones.

mackerski wrote: »
    More specifically, a sign that isn’t round with a red border isn’t a speed limit. You also see those advisory limits with black outer rings instead of the binding red ones.
    That also came to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The 'tuam road' or R363 should likely now just signport for ballyforan or dysart.

Stupid to send dublin tuam traffic through athlone western suburbs

• Advertisement

The 'tuam road' or R363 should likely now just signport for ballyforan or dysart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Sorry, explain ?

The road from west athlone to tuam, the R363 is now redundant as a route to tuan with the m17 open

The road from west athlone to tuam, the R363 is now redundant as a route to tuan with the m17 open
    But the road still goes to Tuam, that hasn't changed, what has changed is that there is now an alternative that uses better roads.
    Anyone using the updated satnav maps will probably be sent along the M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Big test for the road coming up with this Ophelia coming in.
    Even if the winds turn out to be insignificant the rain probably won't be and that section of South Galway had some serious flooding last time out. No doubt this would have been planned for but now is the time to see if the planning worked.

flazio wrote: »
    Big test for the road coming up with this Ophelia coming in.
    Even if the winds turn out to be insignificant the rain probably won't be and that section of South Galway had some serious flooding last time out. No doubt this would have been planned for but now is the time to see if the planning worked.

Raheen/kilkelly2016-11-22_07-12-42_zpspvbuc9qn.jpg kiltiernan2016-11-22_07-06-26_zps6kc0b5ez.jpgathenry to ennis railway lineIMAG6087_zpsuajqu1tv.jpg

The ballygaddey road flyover on the tuam bypass 15/09/16IMAG6092_zpsjm8rjoza.jpg15/10/17IMAG2606_zps5yfqsvn7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'd 2nd that, I travelled from Galway to Got yesterday and it's a joke,
    nearly got squished by a car transporter coming from Athenry side but luckily I've good brakes. No signs to let drivers know what's up ahead re two different lanes merging into one.

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    So i have started travelling out the m6 from galway and joining the m17 to tuam in the last few evenings. Anyone else notice that where the slip lane from M6 to m17 merges with the ramp off the roundabout also heading towards tuam, there are 2 lanes but then quite suddenly the left lane stops and you are forced on to the right lane before finally merging with m17. Why didn't they extend the 2 lanes a bit further and gradually merge them. I know the first evening i used it i was behind a car on the slip way and didn't see the lane stopping until the last min and had to mover over quickly. Thankfully there was nothing coming up the ramp on my right hand side or there could have been a bit of a bang!.
    I presume its possibly the same at the other 3 slip ways and ramps at rathmorrisy but i haven't traveled them to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

No it's not! As a regular user I still prefer it! 15 miles shorter and no toll at Cappataggle. Fair enough it's the same time wise. Around the hour

• Advertisement

gammygils wrote: »

No it's not! As a regular user I still prefer it! 15 miles shorter and no toll at Cappataggle. Fair enough it's the same time wise. Around the hour

Reundant = has an alternative that serves same purpose.

Toll aside, as a rule since the NDP, regional roads after offline upgrades only signpost intermediate destinations. For example the R148 through Meath and Kildare only signposts nearest town despite going all the way to Dublin.

It is of course your prerogative to take whatever route suits. Im just saying that this road broke some of the usual rules. Other being giving the 2 junction M17 junction numbers in the high teens.

Advertisement