Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The 'tuam road' or R363 should likely now just signport for ballyforan or dysart.
    You're right.
    But the road still goes to Tuam, that hasn't changed, what has changed is that there is now an alternative that uses better roads.
    Doesn't matter if the road still goes to Tuam. The R446 (formerly Galway-Dublin N6) still goes to Dublin, but nowhere will you find signs saying Dublin on it.
    Toll aside, as a rule since the NDP, regional roads after offline upgrades only signpost intermediate destinations. For example the R148 through Meath and Kildare only signposts nearest town despite going all the way to Dublin.
    Correct. Here's another example - the R446 (formerly N6 Galway-Dublin) road at Ballinasloe (taken from Google Maps), in the Dublin direction.

Not only is the road not signed Dublin, but it's not even signed for Athlone, the next big town. Ballydanagan is not even a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Drove home from Donegal (Maghery) to Clare (Corofin) on Saturday and was heading for an all time world record of < 4 hours. I thought I was Ok for diesel so kept going, even when it started getting low I thought there was enough to get me home and didn't want to jeopardise my time. When I got on the new motorway, it just seemed to start drinking the stuff, and in the end I had to slow to 90 kmh for about 10km, and leave the motorway one exit early at Ardrahan. Limped into the petrol station with the estimated range left reported as 1 mile :)

At one point I thought I was going to have to stop on the motorway & call the AA - which would have been really embarrassing.

Silly boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The last bridge on the m18 at gortroa 24/10/162017-09-04_09-22-32_zpstivejbhk.jpg17/10/17IMAG2342_zpsakuycp2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Have they planted trees along the motorway route on the embankments like they usually do in motorway projects, or are they waiting for spring?

It looks quite bare!

RATHMORRISSY 17/10/17IMAG2614_zpsie4cgnys.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

tombrown wrote: »
    Drove home from Donegal (Maghery) to Clare (Corofin) on Saturday and was heading for an all time world record of < 4 hours. I thought I was Ok for diesel so kept going, even when it started getting low I thought there was enough to get me home and didn't want to jeopardise my time. When I got on the new motorway, it just seemed to start drinking the stuff, and in the end I had to slow to 90 kmh for about 10km, and leave the motorway one exit early at Ardrahan. Limped into the petrol station with the estimated range left reported as 1 mile :)

At one point I thought I was going to have to stop on the motorway & call the AA - which would have been really embarrassing.

Silly boy!

Haha...exactly the same happened here with a rental car (just before the motorway opened)

Got on the motorway in Gort, and the guage told me Id make shannon with 50 km to spare (I had paid for fuel up front and wanted to return the car empty) . Drove the speedlimit the whole way to Shannon 120 KMPH. I limped into the airport with 3 Km to empty.

The lad who check you in said that a couple of times a week they have to go out with the diesel can and rescue people who cut it too close with diesel rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

yew_tree wrote: »
    Traveled on the new M17 yesterday on my way to Dublin from south Mayo. 2 hours 20 mins to the capital. Excellent road and makes getting to Dublin so much easier. Off-topic question - why does the M6 have a steel barrier from Athlone to Ballinasloe as opposed to concrete?

Where in South Mayo did you start and where did you pick up the Motorway?

How long did it take you to get to the motorway and how long were you on the motorway?

Trying to figure out if it would be a feasible way to travel to Dublin from Castlebar. Currently it would take about 40 mins to get to the Motorway onramp north of Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Ballindine which is just inside the Mayo border with Galway. It shoudn't take 40 mins to get from Tuam north to the M17/M6 ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Hello all,
    I'd like to point out as I'm on leave for the next two months as I dislocated my ankle while on patrol.
    Now on the old N18 outside Gort town as far as Kiltiernan it says the road has a 100km/h speed limit. I'd like to point out it currently is 80km/h and don't you fear the your smile for the camera is still measuring your speed on this section of road while the road is deserted for non local traffic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

b5mus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Milking parlours are lethal this time of the year all right....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

paul2013 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I'd like to point out as I'm on leave for the next two months as I dislocated my ankle while on patrol.
    Now on the old N18 outside Gort town as far as Kiltiernan it says the road has a 100km/h speed limit. I'd like to point out it currently is 80km/h and don't you fear the your smile for the camera is still measuring your speed on this section of road while the road is deserted for non local traffic :rolleyes:

Don't overdo it with the recovery. If you play it right you should manage to be out over Christmas and the New Year

The m17 at bauilpuil 16/05/15IMAG0677_zps5wpl4o7e.jpg19/10/17IMAG2539_zpsqpydnpww.jpg

Roadfan wrote: »
    Don't overdo it with the recovery. If you play it right you should manage to be out over Christmas and the New Year

How will the superior ever manage?

The first bridge on the m17 over the grange river 14/05/152017-10-15_10-40-12_zpsjod7lrad.jpg17/10/17IMAG2589_zpsl58d0gxg.jpg

The m17 at mahangh 7kms form tuam 08/02/16IMAG1490_zpsvud3znnj.jpg20/10/17IMAG2458_zpshsqlqjp4.jpg

The tuam bypass 19/10/17IMAG6103_zpsadh1f4q2.jpg

M18 junction 16 gort 20/06/17IMAG2041_zpsprxxabky.jpg20/10/17IMAG2628_zpsc66ozlsc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Heading through this exit this evening, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

The traffic coming into Galway since the motorway is crazy since the new road opened.
    15 minutes extra in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm in to Mervue from the M6 for a 7am start and I've not noticed any significant increase in my commute time or any big flow of traffic coming off slip way.
    Is the westbound slip the only one that has 2 merge lanes joining the M6? All the others bottle neck before ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

chrismon wrote: »
    The traffic coming into Galway since the motorway is crazy since the new road opened.
    15 minutes extra in the mornings.

And yet apparently Claregalway traffic has not been affected. I find it hard to understand how the east side of the city is busier if there isn't less traffic on the Claregalway route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

And yet apparently Claregalway traffic has not been affected. I find it hard to understand how the east side of the city is busier if there isn't less traffic on the Claregalway route.
    I've done a detailed look at it on the other thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105030387&postcount=42)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Substantial increase in traffic coming from the M18 side, along with a small amount from the N17 and N63 sides.

Remember that because the Coolagh roundabout is already at capacity the traffic increase is simply excess that's going to cause further tailbacks.

Pre M17/M18, if the Coolagh roundabout is able to handle ~2000 cars per hour and 3000 are arriving the tailback is now 1000 cars. Every car added to that increases it by 1 rather than a proportion.

The m17 at sheeaunpark 21/11/162017-10-21_03-02-06_zpsmoceywvb.jpg21/10/17IMAG2500_zpsozblacrk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

4 bridges before Junction 18 coming from gort side there was a v loose metal sheet flapping this evening, should I report this? to whom?
    Loved the bat bridge

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DirectRoute Gort-Tuam: (091)-777000

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 at sheeaunpark 21/11/1621/10/17

Don't live near the M17 so will probably not see it in real life for many a year, but what's the craic with the '3rd lane' on the right there? Seems odd?

Don't live near the M17 so will probably not see it in real life for many a year, but what's the craic with the '3rd lane' on the right there? Seems odd?
    I think it's a "sight lane" to ensure visibility ahead as the road curves to the right.
    If it wasn't there, slow moving traffic ahead could be masked by the barrier and increase the risk of a collision.

• Advertisement

The kilmore roundabout 16/03/17IMAG3268_zpsicc8bbke.jpg22/10/17IMAG2592_zps0gawudyf.jpg

Advertisement