Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at bauilpuil 28/02/162017-10-22_12-53-10_zpsfrqzkexn.jpg22/10/17IMAG2547_zpswmuhm0jm.jpg

The footbridge at annagh hill 22/10/17IMAG2637_zpsfbr4vuap.jpg

The m17 at ballybanagher 18/08/15IMAG0374_zpsuurwrjyn.jpg22/10/17IMAG2641_zpsfisqbt6n.jpg

End of the m17 at tuam 11/11/16IMAG2110_zpsfnscadqh.jpg23/10/17IMAG2645_zpsmjxfkdoy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Direct route rang back to say they found the loose panel and are fixing it now
    V impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

youngblood wrote: »
    Direct route rang back to say they found the loose panel and are fixing it now
    V impressed

Good stuff. Just used the route today for second time. Cork Sligo and back. Haven't done the return trip in one day much . In fact only twice before. Approaching Ballindine from the north and thinking within minutes I'll be on motorway makes such a huge difference. Changes the way you view that journey.

The accommodation flyover at cloonkeen north 13/04/162017-05-24_09-19-57_zpsxavt9dv4.jpg24/10/17IMAG2642_zpsrnn6pgq5.jpg

The m17 at bauilpuil 7.5kms form tuam 24/10/17IMAG6108_zpswq3qrjb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 at bauilpuil 7.5kms form tuam 24/10/17IMAG6108_zpswq3qrjb4.jpg
    Best one yet - Where is all the traffic though ??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It's a bollocks.... I travel the M6 Athlone to Galway every morning, since the M17/18 opened traffic has become a joke.... Left the house at 6:50 this morning, got to ballybrit at 8:15... Pure balls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

VR6 wrote: »
    Best one yet - Where is all the traffic though ??!!!

Sitting in a jam in Claregalway

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

It's a bollocks.... I travel the M6 Athlone to Galway every morning, since the M17/18 opened traffic has become a joke.... Left the house at 6:50 this morning, got to ballybrit at 8:15... Pure balls.

What would have been your average journey time before the new roads opened?

You need to be at the coolough roundabout before 7.30,the m17/m18 is brilliant Limerick to tuam 70mins,gort to tuam 29mins,rathmorrissy to tuam 13mins,tuam to dublin airport 1hr 50 mins

The flyover at bauilpuil 02/11/15IMAG6203_zpsoz4ijbei.jpg25/10/17IMAG2639_zpsnu56apnt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is there any reason why this hasn't been updated on Google Maps yet? Or am I just missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Just a quick question have to go to limerick tomorrow morning. Which would be the quicker way to get on the m18 from the m6 or to get on around kilternan. Thanks in advance. I'm coming from the west side.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Just a quick question have to go to limerick tomorrow morning. Which would be the quicker way to get on the m18 from the m6 or to get on around kilternan. Thanks in advance. I'm coming from the west side.

Get on at kiltiernan it's a shorter distance to travel then going to rathmorrissy,if you go to rathmorrissy you going east to go south

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Get on at kiltiernan it's a shorter distance to travel then going to rathmorrissy,if you go to rathmorrissy you going east to go south

I haven't compared but wouldn't the motorway still be quicker timewise as you don't have to slow at Clarinbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I haven't compared but wouldn't the motorway still be quicker timewise as you don't have to slow at Clarinbridge?

Clarinbridge is usually jam-free, now.

The m18 at coldwood 23/08/15IMAG0242_zpsuh19bbln.jpg25/10/17IMAG2521_zpscrvbpldz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Is there any reason why this hasn't been updated on Google Maps yet? Or am I just missing something?

The simple answer is, Google don't care enough.

The more complicated answer is, it seems no human does any work at Google, it's all automated.

The simple answer is, Google don't care enough.

The more complicated answer is, it seems no human does any work at Google, it's all automated.

It will be next February before it will appears on Google maps

The m18 at parknacuappuil 02/03/162016-12-23_01-23-58_zpsfve5ha3i.jpg25/10/17IMAG2519_zpssdl1vn3r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

tobdom wrote: »
    What would have been your average journey time before the new roads opened?

Not OP but I do the same journey.
    55 minutes used to be my commute time.
    It's between 70-80 minutes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It will be next February before it will appears on Google maps

February?! Some of the roundabouts (Kilternan, Tuam for example) have appeared on the map, they hardly will be waiting until February to add the road!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    February?! Some of the roundabouts (Kilternan, Tuam for example) have appeared on the map, they hardly will be waiting until February to add the road!

That roundabout at kiltiernan opened on the 7th of July 16,annagh hill opened on the 27th of April 16 it was six months later before the appeared on Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I'd love to know if Google Maps are as slow as that for other countries as well or is it just because it's 'Ireland'...

OSI Maps are out of date as well. They have the M18 being constructed but not the M17 at all. Strange as the new motorway hardly appeared overnight...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,549102,717155,5,10

(same data used here http://map.geohive.ie/)

Wego.here.com still doesn't let you plan a route on the new motorway either. So only openstreetmap.org lets you plan a route out of all of them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

So, it's now open 4 weeks, whats' the story with the morning and evening commutes? Any patterns emerging?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I'd love to know if Google Maps are as slow as that for other countries as well or is it just because it's 'Ireland'...

OSI Maps are out of date as well. They have the M18 being constructed but not the M17 at all. Strange as the new motorway hardly appeared overnight...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,549102,717155,5,10

(same data used here http://map.geohive.ie/)

Wego.here.com still doesn't let you plan a route on the new motorway either. So only openstreetmap.org lets you plan a route out of all of them I think.

The M11 Arklow-Rathnew appeared fairly quickly. But the auxiliary road network still isn't fixed (2 years later!!)

The new Queensferry Crossing in Edinburgh was up within a few days of opening back in September, same story with the new Mersey Gateway bridge in Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    So, it's now open 4 weeks, whats' the story with the morning and evening commutes? Any patterns emerging?

Travelling from Roscommon town to Galway Westside daily. Usual commute was upwards of 1h 20 with traffic on a bad day etc. It is now 1hr 45 AT BEST. Traffic is ridiculous since new stretch of the motorway opened. At 7:20 traffic is back as far as the Roscommon Exit / N63 in Loughgeorge and it is bumper to bumper all the way to Tuam Road / Bothar na dTreabh junction. Most mornings I'm just sitting in traffic at Rockmount which was never the case. I'm guessing it's people who are hopping off the motorway at Oranmore exit and coming across the Airport road and using the rat runs to get to Briarhill/Parkmore quicker. Traffic constantly having to come to a halt to let ratrun traffic merge?

Advertisement