Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Don't Google own Waze now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Kiltiernan 27/10/17IMAG2665_zps8imn8ixx.jpgrathmorrissyIMAG2674_zps08pglhcr.jpg

I’ve done a number of journeys in the Athenry - Oranmore - Tuam vicinity in the past couple of days, and have found the Waze navigation app to be pretty good for timings and routings using the new motorway. The geometries are pretty good, so journey times are accurate enough. However, the voice instructions are inaccurate. e.g. M6 westbound - when it’s navigating you for Tuam, it neglects to say take the exit and keep right (for the roundabout). It just says in x hundred meters keep right while you’re still on the M6 mainline.

I see they have the n67 ending at oranmore,it ends at the coolough roundabout,and they still have the n66 gort to loughrea

The m17 at ballybanagher 7kms form tuam 13/02/16IMAG1301_zpsdxo9ryek.jpg27/09/17IMAG2330_zpsmacpzord.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any chance you have a photo of the two lanes merging into one for those coming off the roundabout and those coming directly from the other motorway?
    m17 wrote: »
    RATHMORRISSY 16/04/16IMAG6201_zpsnjtakpbp.jpg02/09/17IMAG5799_zpst22ypknk.jpg

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Any chance you have a photo of the two lanes merging into one for those coming off the roundabout and those coming directly from the other motorway?

RATHMORRISSY 11/08/17IMAG6009_zpswr23edub.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Galway is literally being choked to death with traffic and it will get to the point where the attractiveness and competitiveness of the city will take a nosedive.

It's clear that the geography of the city, where too many roads converge on the city from the East is partially to blame, but the elephant in the room is shocking rates of car dependency, fuelled by a free for all in terms of one-off rural housing over the past 20 years. It's all very well to suggest better public transport options from the surrounding towns to the city - and that is worth exploring and actioning but what of the massively dispersed development throughout Galway's hinterland where the provision of public transport is utterly unviable?

I know that might leave a bad taste in many people's mouths but that is the stark fact of the matter. Free for all planning has created the legacy of a Galway choking to death with traffic.

Galway is not a big city - so why can't people afford to live in the city proper and not be forced to commute by car from 20, 30 or 40km away? It's absurd.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Galway is not a big city - so why can't people afford to live in the city proper and not be forced to commute by car from 20, 30 or 40km away? It's absurd.
    It's all down to the house prices,renting in Galway is a joke that's why people are forced to commute up to 40kms away,Galway needs a outer bypass badly as there hasn't been a bridge over the corrib since 1985, but unfortunately that's a other 6 years away until then we'll have to make do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

JupiterKid wrote: »

Some of us aren't forced by any reason, but make it our choice to live elsewhere other than the city or suburbs.

I'd agree though that the lack planning and lack of a structured integrated public transport system, will result in Galway's traffic just getting worse.

The m17 7kms form tuam 11/01/15IMAG0053_zpscrsrp9sg.jpg27/09/17IMAG2456_zpskwojam54.jpg

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISSY 24/11/15IMAG6089_zpskrdva0qm.jpg30/10/17IMAG2681_zpsamnqcjuc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

m17 wrote: »
    It's all down to the house prices,renting in Galway is a joke that's why people are forced to commute up to 40kms away,Galway needs a outer bypass badly as there hasn't been a bridge over the corrib since 1985, but unfortunately that's a other 6 years away until then we'll have to make do

40kms. More like 80kms for me and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

chrismon wrote: »

80km? Why is there any need to live so far? Shannon is 80km from Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    80km? Why is there any need to live so far? Shannon is 80km from Galway!

Saving for a house, it's the cheapest option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

chrismon wrote: »

I'm 89KM each way. Have been doing it for 10 years. Big changes over that time. Used to take 25 mins or even 30 mins less once upon a time. Supportive employer though so work from home whenever I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Drove this new road for the first time at the weekend. Mightily impressed. Knocked 30 minutes off my journey. Good surface. Impressed by bat bridge. The only gripe I would have, unrelated to new road, is that traffic volumes coming into Milltown & Ballindine have increased enormously. It's tough on the villagers living there. It's less than 28 kms to the Claremorris bypass from Tuam. I'd say the next target for western politicians will be to get the motorway extended this distance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well there use to be a Tuam to Claremorris scheme which would have been 2+2, it was canned during the recession (Galway County Council have redacted everything form their webpage)

n17.jpg

However in grand scheme of the 'Western Corridor' in my opinion the M20 should have preference first, with any emphasis in Galway been on the outer bypass. Though I imagine they could at least start up basic planning/design on the N17 scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Drove this new road for the first time at the weekend. Mightily impressed. Knocked 30 minutes off my journey. Good surface. Impressed by bat bridge. The only gripe I would have, unrelated to new road, is that traffic volumes coming into Milltown & Ballindine have increased enormously. It's tough on the villagers living there. It's less than 28 kms to the Claremorris bypass from Tuam. I'd say the next target for western politicians will be to get the motorway extended this distance

I have heard the restaurants and filling stations in Milltown and Ballindine have seen an up surge in customers. The Supermacs in Ballindine which was always very busy anyway must be a goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is there any public art on this road? Isn't that a requirement for motorways?

pigtown wrote: »
    Is there any public art on this road? Isn't that a requirement for motorways?

The plaque at caherweelder that's it IMAG2543_zpsy1ypvnxe.jpg

• Advertisement

Kiltiernan 11/03/16IMAG1429_zpse8dknjou.jpg31/10/17IMAG2513_zpsxn1cbkal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

That's fairly pathetic. I wonder did that clause get removed from contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

marno21 wrote: »

If half the people commuting under 10km in Galway bought a bike or walked their kids to school a lot of the traffic would solve itself. Without the need for any grandiose road schemes

Whos going to get their kids to walk 10km every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In fairness, bypass or not, traffic will still be heading towards the schools and such.

In that regard, i can't see the bypass helping enough to make for a smooth, reliable commute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

pigtown wrote: »
    That's fairly pathetic. I wonder did that clause get removed from contracts.

What a waste of money, road art is not needed at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whos going to get their kids to walk 10km every morning?

How many people in Galway city or suburbs live 10km from the school their kids attend?

I mean walk the kids to school 1km or whatever away and cycle the 6km journey to Ballybrit

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

It looks like it's been updated on google maps now. Finally done but curiously maps can't use the road for directions yet.

mrmanire wrote: »
    It looks like it's been updated on google maps now. Finally done but curiously maps can't use the road for directions yet.

I see they have the m17 going form gort to tuam,even the tuam bypass is called the m17

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It seems to be a preliminary release, good to see however. Glad it's not February as you suggested M17!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It seems to be a preliminary release, good to see however. Glad it's not February as you suggested M17!
    The base mapping is probably the first thing to be done. Navigation requires extra layers of data on top of that, which is still in progress presumably. Am on the road right now. Very impressive it is.

Advertisement