Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

glineli wrote: »
    I met someone reversing against me last week. Instead of going all the way around they decided to reverse.

It's a tough junction to navigate first time around with those sharp exits

Looks like they need a bit of white paint to help people find their way - like 'M17 Tuam' Or 'M18 Gort' or 'M6 Dublin' or ' M6 Galway' to indicate the turn.

It would help and cost very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

remfan wrote: »
    thanks for the welcome, being new to this I didn't read the 6000+ posts and 557 pages before I dared to comment - I better get myself a PhD in Boards etiquette I guess

It's somewhat reasonable to read a few pages back though?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Travelled the M18 yesterday and today, first impressions is that it seems very narrow compared to the Shannon to Dromoland section.

It has the standard driving-lane width of 3.5m used on all (narrow-median) HQDCs built in recent years. Older wide-median HQDCs have a driving-lane width of 3.75m so you do notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

m17 wrote: »
    the exit is really tight if you're an arctic driver and the lighting is also very poor for one of the biggest roundabouts in the country2017-08-25_02-04-23_zpsgnc4mnln.jpg
    The positioning of the signs isn't ideal and reminds me of the bad old days when they had signs like that on motorway mainlines at the exits. You would also get people reversing back on the hard-shoulder after they realise too late they missed their exit. The fact that roundabout is so big, some motorists possibly don't realise it is a roundabout and coming off the motorway, they could be going too fast.

I noticed the narrower driving lanes too, but the surface is so good, like a billiard table; long may it last..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

glineli wrote: »
    It's a tough junction to navigate first time around with those sharp exits

Only if your doing above 60kmph, trouble is the roundabout is not designed for 60kmph. Alot of people doing min 80-90kmph on they end up slamming on the brakes when they get to the exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

The signage as you approach the underpasses at Rathmorrisey is also very poor, the photo above from M17 is a good example, if you exited the M6 westbound intending to travel north on the M17, you only see signs for Galway/Oranmore and Limerick/Shannon as you approach the underpass, no mention of Sligo? Likewise coming the opposite direction on the M6 from Galway heading to Limerick, again no sign for Limerick/Shannon at the underpass. If you are not familiar with the junction you may get the impression that you somehow managed to miss your exit for the M17/M18.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

remfan wrote: »
    The signage as you approach the underpasses at Rathmorrisey is also very poor, the photo above from M17 is a good example, if you exited the M6 westbound intending to travel north on the M17, you only see signs for Galway/Oranmore and Limerick/Shannon as you approach the underpass, no mention of Sligo? Likewise coming the opposite direction on the M6 from Galway heading to Limerick, again no sign for Limerick/Shannon at the underpass. If you are not familiar with the junction you may get the impression that you somehow managed to miss your exit for the M17/M18.

The signage on the slip road shows that you need to take the 270 degree exit for your destination if using the roundabout

The rest of the signage on the roundabout is standard roundabout signage. If you feel like you've missed your exit there is nothing stopping you from doing another full rotation of the roundabout.

As someone pointed out earlier this is the only interchange in the country of two full speed 120km/h motorways. So, I'm not sure that standard roundabout signage is good enough. You'd probably want some seriously in your face 60 km/h signs on the ramps at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

marno21 wrote: »
    The signage on the slip road shows that you need to take the 270 degree exit for your destination if using the roundabout

The rest of the signage on the roundabout is standard roundabout signage. If you feel like you've missed your exit there is nothing stopping you from doing another full rotation of the roundabout.
    rathmorrissy2017-08-25_02-00-20_zpshef3movh.jpgdoing another full rotation of the roundabout is 970 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

I use this junction daily and I'm concerned by some of the driving I've seen on roundabout........
    Just my own experiences... this week only...
    I went M6E -> M17N on Wednesday, just as I was merging from the slip onto the r'about for M17N, the guy behind me sweeps into the
    M6W ->M17N lane to overtake me as I'm trying to merge right.... ran me into the shoulder as we were side by side when it went to 1 lane... he couldn't wait the few hundred meters at a safe speed...
    Thursday morning going M17S -> M6W, L driver goes lane 2 into exit slip at the last second with a lovely swerve... I despair sometimes

I think lots people don't realize that if they miss their exit that they can just do a loop around and get it on a second go,

There's also a lot of panic to get into the left lane(1) from Briarhill towards the Coolagh roundabout, easier to stay in the right lane (2) to use the roundabout sometimes...

• Advertisement

Are there any signs on it that actually indicate that it is a roundabout? The one shown above is not definitive. They should have very large versions of the yellow roundabout sign that make it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

plodder wrote: »
    As someone pointed out earlier this is the only interchange in the country of two full speed 120km/h motorways. So, I'm not sure that standard roundabout signage is good enough. You'd probably want some seriously in your face 60 km/h signs on the ramps at least.
    Agreed. The signs at the exits on this roundabout are way too small. They need to be BIG, and equipped with downlighting for night time driving. You need all the help you can get when relying on your headlights to light up a small but critical sign that you approach from a curve, especially when it is right on a junction and not before it. There may well be floodlights on the Rathmorrissy rdbt but seems as though they are not sufficient for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

Does anyone have any idea if they'll change the signs on the old N17/N63 (new N83/R354)? Old signage could pose confusion for those not used to the area.

yesnow wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if they'll change the signs on the old N17/N63 (new N83/R354)? Old signage could pose confusion for those not used to the area.

There's only one new sign on the old n17 now n83 at the west wing heading out of tuamIMAG3180_zpss9tavgfk.jpgthey also might want to change the signs at bother na dtreabh/tuam road junction

GOOGLE MAPS UPDATE: New road finally live!

GOOGLE MAPS UPDATE: New road finally live!

Ah here, that's the third time it's been posted!

It's reasonable to read the last few pages at least!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah here, that's the third time it's been posted!

It's reasonable to read the last few pages at least!

Sure lookit, you'll have that. I don't know if this has been said yet or not but some of the old roads on the map need redesignation eg. the old N17.

Sure lookit, you'll have that. I don't know if this has been said yet or not but some of the old roads on the map need redesignation eg. the old N17.

You'll also notice that the motorway is designated as the M17 the entire way, when it's the M18 as far as Rathmorrisey, and the N17 for Tuam bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You'll also notice that the motorway is designated as the M17 the entire way, when it's the M18 as far as Rathmorrisey, and the N17 for Tuam bypass.

Report the mistake to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

http://connachttribune.ie/new-motorway-opens-rural-parts-galway-criminals-911/

they should close down the motorway and let things go back the way they were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

New motorway opens up rural parts of Galway to criminals

Paul's leg injury can't be helping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A seasoned criminal once told me that motorways are top of their list of criteria when selecting venues, bit like the Rugby World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

New motorway opens up rural parts of Galway to criminals

Paul's leg injury can't be helping

That's the real reason for the increase in thefts, the super doesn't have his sidekick.

Nothing to do with the new motorway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

bonaparte2 wrote: »

ANPR cameras would do a lot to stop this. Are they not used at the toll booth just before Rathmorrisey? Add a few on the M17 and M18 and you have an idea of who is doing this kind of theft?

They could also check NCT, tax, and insurance while they are at it which would help with the funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ANPR cameras would do a lot to stop this. Are they not used at the toll booth just before Rathmorrisey? Add a few on the M17 and M18 and you have an idea of who is doing this kind of theft?

They could also check NCT, tax, and insurance while they are at it which would help with the funding.

Spoken like a true non criminal.... London is covered with anpr cameras, the scum just change the plate on the car they stole to a legit plate.

It's like cctv, they just put on a balaclava.

Spoken like a true non criminal.... London is covered with anpr cameras, the scum just change the plate on the car they stole to a legit plate.

The favourite trick is to go to a suburban railway station and steal the plates off a similar vehicle and use them to dodge the C charge. But even that can be mitigated by using ANPR systems in and around the stations to "log the cars parking", if the plates are seen elsewhere it alarms. A vehicle detected driving in Coventry can't arrive in London 30 minutes later for example, so cloned plates are less effective now.

False plates are alarmed immediately.

Yes, I am a non criminal.

Not every criminal would go to those lengths, and many people who drive uninsured and no NCT and no tax are stupid enough to give lip to a Garda are not very smart and will get caught wholesale. Not all criminals are that smart either, nor do they have the resources to alter plates and not get caught.

If the motorways were patrolled, the ANPR system would be a fantastic resource to the Gardai if it was used properly.

The m17 at the annagh hill footbridge looking towards tuam 05/11/17IMAG2690_zpsyu3z5urg.jpgside viewIMAG2692_zps4rweaawy.jpglooking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2691_zpsvgyynuux.jpg

If the motorways were patrolled, the ANPR system would be a fantastic resource to the Gardai if it was used properly.

Until they invariably end up misusing it and violating peoples rights, as they have done with everything ever given to them.

Using ANPR is fine and will address a series of issies, however it's deployment should be based on automatic detection of law breaking only and require a judges approval for ANY manual monitoring and this approval should be time based i.e. Approval given for 48 hr periods max

• Advertisement

bonaparte2 wrote: »

WTF I never went to see claregalway,clarinbridge,kilcolgan,ardrahan for as long as I live

Advertisement