Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Plenty of destinations not served in Shannon are served from Knock, in the UK in particular. Knock also has different timed flights (morning Edinburgh - Shannon has it in the evening afaik).

From Limerick, I would now consider Knock when I wouldn't have pre M17.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

marno21 wrote: »
    Plenty of destinations not served in Shannon are served from Knock, in the UK in particular. Knock also has different timed flights (morning Edinburgh - Shannon has it in the evening afaik).

On the general topic of infrastructure west of the Shannon. Knock airport got plenty of negative reaction when first proposed . Foggy boggy site and all that. More recently M17 the same. Ghost motorway predicted. I don't see it as a case of Dublin versus the rest. It's just that the whole country has become lopsided in terms of development. Sure the jobs seem to be pouring into Dublin and the east. But what about quality of life and I mean commuting etc. M50 sounds like a nightmare. We need Govt. to lead by focusing on infrastructure in the west and perhaps southwest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »

The same for Knock though, they complement eachother in ways, however my point firmly stands that I can't see much of an improvement in take-up of services on both. For example with the Edinburgh flight you gave, although yes timings from both Knock and Shannon are ideally suited to supplement eachother, in my opinion the cheap flights from Dublin on the same route would likely 'knock' out most of this traffic (pardon the pun).

Hopefully it will allow some strengthening on each others strong routes, perhaps UK for Knock and US for Shannon, however I don't think the effect will be quite as dramatic as it's being made out to be. That's just my opinion on the matter, I can understand differing opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Knock and Shannon can play off each other to both their advantage. Some people would love to shut down the west of Ireland and turn it into a nature reserve. Investment in this country is lopsided. Of course Dublin needs investment and is the driver of the economy but you must create a balance.

Having lived abroad and Dublin for a while, I think the standard of living in the west is the best (but then again I am biased ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Hmm seems that Google Maps may still need some more work on the new section for routing algorithms or whatever. I noticed that when driving down from Tuam to Gort, numerous times it kept putting me on a minor road over the motorway or one right beside it. As soon as I got beyond Gort it stopped happening....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

AA routeplanner now showing castlebar dublin via claremorris/tuam/m17 as 1 minute longer than n5. This deffo makes the n60 castlebar claremorris rd the next priority for mayo.
    In fact a 2x2 from the soon to be started n5 cbar wport where it skirts around castlebar plus a similar upgrade of claremorris to tuam should be the ultimate aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The start of the m17 at tuam IMAG2475_zpsvdxyq9ew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Anyone know why the lay by areas are closed off with barriers on the new road eg between 16 and 16.5 N on the M17. Why build lay-bys for trucks etc to pull in and rest if they are going to close them off? They look fully finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oisin_reme

They are Garda Enforcement areas not laybys for drivers

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the lay by areas are closed off with barriers on the new road eg between 16 and 16.5 N on the M17. Why build lay-bys for trucks etc to pull in and rest if they are going to close them off? They look fully finished?

They will open when paul2013 comes backIMAG2438_zpsxjelumhz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭prunudo

They are for the RSA to have checkpoints to ensure drivers are having their required breaks.
    You didnt think the government would build laybys to make it easier for the drivers to abide by these rules did you!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

unit 1 wrote: »
    AA routeplanner now showing castlebar dublin via claremorris/tuam/m17 as 1 minute longer than n5. This deffo makes the n60 castlebar claremorris rd the next priority for mayo.
    In fact a 2x2 from the soon to be started n5 cbar wport where it skirts around castlebar plus a similar upgrade of claremorris to tuam should be the ultimate aim.

Thats great....while it states that there is only a on minutes difference, you would have many more opportunities to lose time travelling on the N5, especially the Roscommon stretch

The M17 could become the preferred route for of West Mayo.....as all these travellers (from places such as Achill, Westport and Louisburgh) would be going through Castlebar anyway.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess, but theres way more comfort travelling on the motorway rather than the current N5 route

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

unit 1 wrote: »

Thats great....while it states that there is only a on minutes difference, you would have many more opportunities to lose time travelling on the N5, especially the Roscommon stretch

The M17 could become the preferred route for of West Mayo.....as all these travellers (from places such as Achill, Westport and Louisburgh) would be going through Castlebar anyway.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess, but theres way more comfort travelling on the motorway rather than the current N5 route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

jvan wrote: »
    They are for the RSA to have checkpoints to ensure drivers are having their required breaks.
    You didnt think the government would build laybys to make it easier for the drivers to abide by these rules did you!

How many hours per year will these actually be used for? A wasted resource IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

How many hours per year will these actually be used for? A wasted resource IMHO.
    the new motorway is owned and operated by a private company. If they opened the rubbish dump and open air uninal lay bys, then they would incur cleaning costs which they can avoid by not opening them.

The experts are free to correct me, but from what I gather the presence of these laybys is no more than a strange quirk in the road building regulations, that are literally a duplicate of the UK regs with just an odd exception for local taste, that the laybys are part of the UK High quality dual Carraigeway standard so they end up being provided in Ireland.

Either way, they are a substandard, low capacity and fairly hazardous stopping area so not much of a loss if they aren't open.

I know they recently closed the ones at the Loughrea exit on the M6

You're right about them being a weird quirk. I was honestly surprised when I saw them on the M17/18,thought they'd written them out

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I know they recently closed the ones at the Loughrea exit on the M6

You're right about them being a weird quirk. I was honestly surprised when I saw them on the M17/18,thought they'd written them out
    M17/M18 was designed and approved well before they were. If it had proceeded when it went to tender, the motorway would've opened shortly after all the interurbans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Oh isn't Ireland a brilliant country really. We build lay bys at Huge expense and then deem them unnecessary, while elsewhere, roads that were opened 10yrs ago or less, they're now building lay bys.http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/leitrim-councillor-calls-lay-works-n4-dromod-rooskey-pass-inadequate/

And before anyone says oh they must be there on motorways,...in the past RSA, Customs, Dept Social Protection, Gardai have operated checkpoints on parts motorways where there is no lay by.

The m18 at gortroa 10/11/17IMAG2709_zps9nqk9wam.jpgstart of the m17 at rathmorrissyIMAG2711_zpsdyx0ulnq.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 11/11/17IMAG2701_zpsmt8g51a0.jpg

• Advertisement

THE M17 AT LARAGHMORE 12/11/17IMAG2725_zpsoaffazxc.jpgthe Annagh hill footbridge IMAG2726_zps8xbmgwda.jpg

I noticed this morning joining the M17 at tuam, that a vehicle must have ploughed through the safety barrier at the corner closest to Brogans tractor yard. Someone flying on the bypass i suspect and planning to go straight out the motorway but didnt make its all the way round!. There looked to be none of the barrier left where it hit so im wondering what kind of impact force they are designed to withstand? Is it just a side swipe force to keep vehicles in the lane of they lose control? I'd say from looking at whats left of the barrier here it was was head on. Justa few cones here now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I noticed this morning joining the M17 at tuam, that a vehicle must have ploughed through the safety barrier at the corner closest to Brogans tractor yard. Someone flying on the bypass i suspect and planning to go straight out the motorway but didnt make its all the way round!. There looked to be none of the barrier left where it hit so im wondering what kind of impact force they are designed to withstand? Is it just a side swipe force to keep vehicles in the lane of they lose control? I'd say from looking at whats left of the barrier here it was was head on. Justa few cones here now

A van crashed there on Friday afternoon around 1:30 - 2pm Nobody hurt.

The m18 at parknacuppul 16/03/16IMAG8990_zpscat5uyex.jpg13/11/17IMAG2519_zpssdl1vn3r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Google maps still not showing traffic info for the new route. Another layer to enable I guess....
    (Plus the already mentioned wrong labelling etc).

I see they have changed the wrongly labelled M17 (south of the M6) to now say M18.

Still no traffic data though...

Let's hope this doesn't happen on the m17, the m6 yesterday between ballinasloe and athloneIMAG8700_zpsstq378wg.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    Let's hope this doesn't happen on the m17, the m6 yesterday between ballinasloe and athloneIMAG8700_zpsstq378wg.jpg

Barrier didn't serve much purpose there:confused:. Its a miracle nobody was killed or seriously injured. I expect if that had been a concrete barrier that the truck would at least have stayed on the same side of the barrier although its load may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Barrier didn't serve much purpose there:confused:. Its a miracle nobody was killed or seriously injured. I expect if that had been a concrete barrier that the truck would at least have stayed on the same side of the barrier although its load may not have.
    Yeah - let's hope the RSA does its job now and demands that a concrete barrier be put on that section of the motorway.

Google maps 13/11/17IMAG2729_zpsbf02ephv.jpgthey still have the n18 going form oranmore to the m6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

m17 wrote: »
    they still have the n18 going form oranmore to the m6

Rest of the N17/N18 downgraded/changed, and the M18/N17 ring road is now listed as such!

Advertisement