Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m18 rathmorrisy to gort 25/10/17https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za1twWSqbCk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

m17 wrote: »
    Google maps 13/11/17IMAG2729_zpsbf02ephv.jpgthey still have the n18 going form oranmore to the m6

And I don’t think they have the M18 configured for 120km/h as the journey time isn’t much quicker than going on the old roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

And I don’t think they have the M18 configured for 120km/h as the journey time isn’t much quicker than going on the old roads.

They have - extra distance is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spiller78

I am wondering where can i get confirmation on the following facts I tried Direct route, Sisk, TII and Galway Co.Co. but no good.

Rathmorrissy is the longest roundabout in the Republic Of Ireland.

Rathmorrissy is the only 3 tier interchange in the Republic Of Ireland.

Rathmorrissy is the only place in the Republic of Ireland where 2 two 120kph motorways cross.

Does anyone have anymore interesting facts and where they can be verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

This morning on my usual commute to Galway approaching the north side of Tuam, from Claremorris, I stopped in the right hand lane at the first roundabout and the car that was travelling behind me pulled up in the left hand lane. This car carried to go all the way around the roundabout onto the bypass from the left hand lane outside me. I made my way into the slow lane as i exited the roundabout and said car put the boot down and overtoke and I didn't see him again. 
    Then I get to the far end of the Tuam bypass and I approach the roundabout in the slow lane and pull up at the roundabout as does a car in the fast lane. Both myself and the car in the fast lane go straight on onto the M17 but I notice that the car that was behind me entering the roundabout in the slow lane has shot all the way around the roundabout on the outside lane and headed southbound on the old N17. 

This is something I see on a regular basis on this road and was wondering if anyone else has seen it? Especially at these two roundabouts. I don't think the car outside me done anything wrong by entering the south roundabout in the fast lane and carried onto the fastlane on the M17? But whats going on with people going all the way around a roundabout in the outside lane???? Am I wrong in thinking that this is completely wrong and dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Spiller78 wrote: »
    I am wondering where can i get confirmation on the following facts I tried Direct route, Sisk, TII and Galway Co.Co. but no good.

Rathmorrissy is the only place in the Republic of Ireland where 2 two 120kph motorways cross.

Other three tier interchanges:

M1/M50 (J3) at Turnapin
    M50 J6 (N3) Blanchardstown
    M50 J2 Whitehall Complex (Shantalla Road over N1 Slip over Dublin Tunnel)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Middle Man wrote: »

Other three tier interchanges:

M1/M50 (J3) at Turnapin
    M50 J6 (N3) Blanchardstown
    M50 J2 Whitehall Complex (Shantalla Road over N1 Slip over Dublin Tunnel)
    The M50 has a 100kph speed limit in those sections so I think Spiller is right thats the only junction where two 120kph speed limits cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The longest anywhere in Ireland. It’s about 120m longer in circumference than the.one in Ballymena.

mackerski wrote: »
    The longest anywhere in Ireland. It’s about 120m longer in circumference than the.one in Ballymena.

You're spot on rathmorrissy is 970 metres in circumference,ballymena is 850 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You can now go Dublin N4/M50 - Rathmorrisey - Limerick and back to Dublin via the N7/M50 and back to the N4/M50 without stopping. But you can't do that loop in the other direction without stopping due to the layout of Rathmorrisey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You can now go Dublin N4/M50 - Rathmorrisey - Limerick and back to Dublin via the N7/M50 and back to the N4/M50 without stopping. But you can't do that loop in the other direction without stopping due to the layout of Rathmorrisey.

How do you pay your tolls?

How do you pay your tolls?
    With a tag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

muddle84 wrote: »
    This morning on my usual commute to Galway approaching the north side of Tuam, from Claremorris, I stopped in the right hand lane at the first roundabout and the car that was travelling behind me pulled up in the left hand lane. This car carried to go all the way around the roundabout onto the bypass from the left hand lane outside me. I made my way into the slow lane as i exited the roundabout and said car put the boot down and overtoke and I didn't see him again. 
    Then I get to the far end of the Tuam bypass and I approach the roundabout in the slow lane and pull up at the roundabout as does a car in the fast lane. Both myself and the car in the fast lane go straight on onto the M17 but I notice that the car that was behind me entering the roundabout in the slow lane has shot all the way around the roundabout on the outside lane and headed southbound on the old N17. 

This is something I see on a regular basis on this road and was wondering if anyone else has seen it? Especially at these two roundabouts. I don't think the car outside me done anything wrong by entering the south roundabout in the fast lane and carried onto the fastlane on the M17? But whats going on with people going all the way around a roundabout in the outside lane???? Am I wrong in thinking that this is completely wrong and dangerous?

Yep have seen this more than once at the 2 north side roundabouts. But what I've seen most is people not knowing/caring what lane they should be in as they approach a roundabout and just drive half and half in both. They continue this as they drive around the roundabout using the dividing white line between lanes as a marker that they should aim the middle of their car to hogging both lanes as they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

m17 wrote: »
    Google maps 13/11/17
    they still have the n18 going form oranmore to the m6

Did you report it as incorrect via the feedback in Maps?

The one of five emergency barriers on the m17 27/09/17IMAG2454_zpsjlzlztyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

I was travelling South on the M17 yesterday heading via M6 to Galway, a car coming from Dublin (M6) joined the roundabout at Rathmorrisey ahead of me and then stayed in the left lane and through the underpass. I stayed behind as I expected him to continue to the M17 north exit, but he exited for Galway back onto the M6. I wonder if this was another victim of the poor directional signage on the roundabout who assumed he was not on his way north to Tuam? A number of my work colleagues who use the new road say they have seen a lot of confused motorists on the roundabout including a friend who runs an executive car hire business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

remfan wrote: »
    I was travelling South on the M17 yesterday heading via M6 to Galway, a car coming from Dublin (M6) joined the roundabout at Rathmorrisey ahead of me and then stayed in the left lane and through the underpass. I stayed behind as I expected him to continue to the M17 north exit, but he exited for Galway back onto the M6. I wonder if this was another victim of the poor directional signage on the roundabout who assumed he was not on his way north to Tuam? A number of my work colleagues who use the new road say they have seen a lot of confused motorists on the roundabout including a friend who runs an executive car hire business.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the signage imo, it's all down to poor concentration of drivers.
    It's not only one sign telling you what exit to take, it's a combination of signs.
    There are at least 2 or 3 Advance Directional Signs on the approach to the roundabout, then you have the 2 signs at the exit off the roundabout.
    I really can't understand what the issue is, and I've driven that road numerous times now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Fancy a race in opposite directions? Must be the same car and engine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smalldig

I agree signage at roundabout at Rathmorrisey is poor. I am not surprised people are confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

Kevwoody wrote: »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the signage imo, it's all down to poor concentration of drivers.
    It's not only one sign telling you what exit to take, it's a combination of signs.
    There are at least 2 or 3 Advance Directional Signs on the approach to the roundabout, then you have the 2 signs at the exit off the roundabout.
    I really can't understand what the issue is, and I've driven that road numerous times now.
    I think the issue is that at the underpasses the signs direct you back to the road you just left, for example exit the M6 westbound heading to Tuam, yes lots of signs until you are on the roundabout - then you reach the underpass - what do you see Limerick/Shannon and Galway/Oranmore?? Why can't they add Tuam for example below Galway/Oranmore and do a similar addition for traffic coming from Galway heading south on the M18. It is not down to concentration. This is just confusing for older drivers, visitors and people not familiar with the area. Many of our drivers are still not used to modern infrastructure so we need to be aware of that and make it as easy as possible for them too. If you are familiar with the way directional signage works on the London Underground you will see that you are given visual cues to guide you efficiently to an exit, platform etc. The signs don't just stop mid way with signs for other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

I think the issue is that at the underpasses the signs direct you back to the road you just left, for example exit the M6 westbound heading to Tuam, yes lots of signs until you are on the roundabout - then you reach the underpass - what do you see Limerick/Shannon and Galway/Oranmore?? Why can't they add Tuam for example below Galway/Oranmore and do a similar addition for traffic coming from Galway heading south on the M18. It is not down to concentration. This is just confusing for older drivers, visitors and people not familiar with the area. Many of our drivers are still not used to modern infrastructure so we need to be aware of that and make it as easy as possible for them too. If you are familiar with the way directional signage works on the London Underground you will see that you are given visual cues to guide you efficiently to an exit, platform etc. The signs don't just stop mid way with signs for other places.

Also I think it's terrible that Claregalway is not on any of the signs, and before anyone says it is on it in Irish ie Baile Chlair I am well aware of the Irish version bein on it due to Claregalway being in the Gaeltacht area but what English tourist or any other nationality that wouldn't understand the Irish language would know that Baile Chlair is Claregalway?! Surely they could have put Claregalway in English too on it for the sake of a few letters! A lot of confusion around that Rathmorrisey interchange also!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

smalldig wrote: »
    I agree signage at roundabout at Rathmorrisey is poor. I am not surprised people are confused.
    People will learn or use satnav (when google maps updates)

Pete2k wrote: »
    Yep have seen this more than once at the 2 north side roundabouts. But what I've seen most is people not knowing/caring what lane they should be in as they approach a roundabout and just drive half and half in both. They continue this as they drive around the roundabout using the dividing white line between lanes as a marker that they should aim the middle of their car to hogging both lanes as they do!

Ah yes! the scalextric drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ah yes! the scalextric drivers!

Happens all the time at the start of the tuam bypass.

Annagh hill 15/11/17IMAG2735_zpspxqbkj8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'm a bit tired right now to work it out but where do you stop on the reverse route?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

funnyname wrote: »
    I'm a bit tired right now to work it out but where do you stop on the reverse route?

Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    I can tell you traffic has significantly increased between Milltown and Ballindine...there is a traffic counter located between tuam and mill town and the Tue before motorway opened 8000 vehicles passed through. Tue 2 weeks later 9400 passed through...almost 18% increase. I live in that area and it is now much more difficult to pull out on to the road from side roads and in particular the national school at the tuam side of Milltown is an accident waiting to happen until the council install the proposed periodic speed limit of 60kph

That's a massive increase. Definitely worth keeping an eye on this. This road will change the west of Ireland as we know it. I have yet to drive on it but know the pain of the old road going north from Shannon/Limerick to Sligo.

The m17 at laraghmore 13/11/15IMAG1170_zps5tqsvoa2.jpg13/11/17IMAG2725_zpsoaffazxc.jpg

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Roundabout.
    Technically, that's a yield, if the traffic is light, you may not need to stop there either. ;)

Advertisement