Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

funnyname wrote: »
    I'm a bit tired right now to work it out but where do you stop on the reverse route?

Yes, roundabout. All of the other links are freeflow, but you'd have to stop at Rathmorrisey to turn from the M18 north onto the M6 east. You don't have to stop (sliproad) going from M6 west to M18 south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Google maps now has traffic data for the new M17/M18 sections ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Well actually you might have make evasive maneuvers and break for traffic joining the M18 south from the M6 east as the two lanes become one without any warning.

Yes, roundabout. All of the other links are freeflow, but you'd have to stop at Rathmorrisey to turn from the M18 north onto the M6 east. You don't have to stop (sliproad) going from M6 west to M18 south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Rathmorrissy left lane coming from the roundabout,right lane coming from the m62017-08-27_04-43-29_zps11koqw1z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Just for info this new road is now on the latest TT map downloaded this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Gort 17/11/17IMAG2766_zpsgr8ryc9s.jpg

The kilmore roundabout tuam 18/11/17IMAG2767_zpszi6pzonz.jpg

Annagh hillIMAG9044_zps1imytplv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jaysus M17, you're moving up in the world.

The m18 rathmorrissy to gort 19/11/17 rathmorrissy2017-08-25_02-08-01_zps6lwhhcgl.jpggortroeIMAG2342_zpspfwdzwiu.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2742_zpsmqx4zzkt.jpgcoldwood looking towards gortIMAG2743_zps7aeneph8.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2744_zpshgzupl70.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards gortIMAG2745_zpsdfgiiu8y.jpgrinn looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2746_zpsqalxd2un.jpgrinn looking towards gortIMAG2747_zpsoxgjylwy.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2748_zpsigqm2mvs.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards gortIMAG2749_zpsjbzejrb7.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2750_zpsbmikfogc.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards gortIMAG2751_zpsdcaug8pn.jpgkiltiernan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2752_zpseqwzeeth.jpgkiltiernan looking towards gortIMAG2753_zpsr59mxid0.jpg

• Advertisement

Part two parkatleva looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2754_zpsswkpik7s.jpgparkatleva looking towards gortIMAG2755_zpstndtqeab.jpgowenbristy looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2756_zpsq0cean5g.jpgowenbristy looking towards gortIMAG2757_zps5upxmhvl.jpgballymaquiff looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2758_zpsutqicyzu.jpgballymaquiff looking towards gortIMAG2759_zpskidyvp0q.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2760_zpslbxjqpbl.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards gortIMAG2761_zpsd0qljwv1.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2762_zpssws9qtpw.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards gort why is there noise coming from the jersey barrier when there is a car in the fast laneIMAG2763_zpsjg3kmsdr.jpgbat bridgeIMAG2506_zps1yx05k56.jpgcoole parkIMAG2505_zpspa86kbxk.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2764_zps6p2zdutj.jpggort looking towards LimerickIMAG2765_zpsi1ndclie.jpg

IMAG2759_zpskidyvp0q.jpg
    Strange place to put a "No Parking" sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Speaking of signs I've noticed that the "Garda Only" signs on that new stretch are facing on-coming traffic which I thought unusual? Seems to be a departure from normal practice of having them side-on to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭flazio

peking97 wrote: »
    Speaking of signs I've noticed that the "Garda Only" signs on that new stretch are facing on-coming traffic which I thought unusual? Seems to be a departure from normal practice of having them side-on to traffic.

Same with the M6 between Ballinasloe and Galway, I thought they were blocking the view, hence I've hardly ever seen the Gardaí use them, they tend to prefer the emergency exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

flazio wrote: »
    Jaysus M17, you're moving up in the world.

It's great to have friends in high places as Paul2013 gave him a spin in the Garda Helicopter!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Has anyone heard the strange whinning noise off the road surface on the Gort side of the Kiltartan flyover heading towards Tuam? I have got it a couple of times in the fast lane, driving 120kph, in dry conditions, approx 200m on the Gort side of the bridge heading north. I changed the tyres on the car on Saturday, got it tracked and still the noise is there, so its not the car. I have seen lads brake hard for no reason because of it. its quiet loud too! Other locals have now reported the same, any one on here experience it?
    PS sorry M17 for hijacking your photo- it is for illustration purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Czhornet wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the strange whinning noise off the road surface on the Gort side of the Kiltartan flyover heading towards Tuam? I have got it a couple of times in the fast lane, driving 120kph, in dry conditions, approx 200m on the Gort side of the bridge heading north. I changed the tyres on the car on Saturday, got it tracked and still the noise is there, so its not the car. I have seen lads brake hard for no reason because of it. its quiet loud too! Other locals have now reported the same, any one on here experience it?

Yep,
    I think it has been mentioned earlier in the thread, have also heard it in a few conversations locally. Defo not the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

kippy wrote: »
    Yep,
    I think it has been mentioned earlier in the thread, have also heard it in a few conversations locally. Defo not the car.

Danny Healy Rae might be able to come up with an explanation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Google Maps fixed the N18 and it's now the R381
    https://goo.gl/maps/nn4w8azYo2P2

Just need the actual physical roads signs to be be updated...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MBSnr wrote: »
    Google Maps fixed the N18 and it's now the R381
    https://goo.gl/maps/nn4w8azYo2P2

Just need the actual physical roads signs to be be updated...

The N11 road signs not updated from Mount Merrion Avenue into Donneybrook, and not likely to be either. It should be the R138, The N11 now goes down Mount Merrion Ave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N11 road signs not updated from Mount Merrion Avenue into Donneybrook, and not likely to be either. It should be the R138, The N11 now goes down Mount Merrion Ave.

The road down Mount Merrion Ave is the N31

I wouldn't have any issue with the N11 signs cityside of Mount Merrion outbound being signed as (N11). Much easier for people to follow than R138

Czhornet wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehKVkLwGCzc

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

m17 wrote: »

Kinda makes them sound like F1 cars passin by! Wtf is it tho? And are they marks on the road heading through both lanes or are they just shadows?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »
    The road down Mount Merrion Ave is the N31

You are correct, but the signs still show N11 all the way in to Donnybrook.

Kinda makes them sound like F1 cars passin by! Wtf is it tho? And are they marks on the road heading through both lanes or are they just shadows?!

Langan's are surfacing the old n18 coole park to gort when there finished that they might go back and resurface that 200 metre stretch before the locals are driven mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I've experienced this noise myself, scared the scrap out of me as I was overtaking a truck at the time.
    On another note, just north of the bat bridge, there is a lovely 2 story house on the left as your heading towards Galway. The road runs very close to the house and borders their property line. I wonder why there's no noise barriers and mature planting here? Must be a serious bit of noise without any barrier at all?
    If it was my house I would have been insisting on some noise control.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I've experienced this noise myself, scared the scrap out of me as I was overtaking a truck at the time.
    On another note, just north of the bat bridge, there is a lovely 2 story house on the left as your heading towards Galway. The road runs very close to the house and borders their property line. I wonder why there's no noise barriers and mature planting here? Must be a serious bit of noise without any barrier at all?
    If it was my house I would have been insisting on some noise control.

Here's another house that's very close to the m18 near kiltiernan IMAG2750_zpsbmikfogc.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    Here's another house that's very close to the m18 near kiltiernan
    I have noticed that a while back - perhaps a relocation agreement might have been justified here given how close the road is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

m17 wrote:
    Here's another house that's very close to the m18 near kiltiernan

That's pretty close alright. At least they have noise barriers, and most of the traffic using the road can't see into the house. The one I mentioned is wide open.

• Advertisement

Kevwoody wrote: »
    That's pretty close alright. At least they have noise barriers, and most of the traffic using the road can't see into the house. The one I mentioned is wide open.

I know the house your talking about you can see the kitchen table form the motorway

Advertisement