Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m18 at ballymaquiff 13/04/172017-11-22_10-23-05_zpsnosggur5.jpg18/11/17IMAG2758_zpsutqicyzu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

MBSnr wrote: »
    Hmm seems that Google Maps may still need some more work on the new section for routing algorithms or whatever. I noticed that when driving down from Tuam to Gort, numerous times it kept putting me on a minor road over the motorway or one right beside it. As soon as I got beyond Gort it stopped happening....

Anyone else seeing this when driving on the new M17/M18 sections? Driving North or South, Google Maps just loses its way and puts my location on an L road or R road next to the motorway. OK, not a problem as I know where I'm going but I'm wondering if it's my phone.. ;-)

Anyone else seeing this when driving on the new M17/M18 sections? Driving North or South, Google Maps just loses its way and puts my location on an L road or R road next to the motorway. OK, not a problem as I know where I'm going but I'm wondering if it's my phone.. ;-)

Its not your phone I have the same problem I was at rathmorrissy this morning,Google maps had claregalway

m17 wrote: »
    Its not your phone I have the same problem I was at rathmorrissy this morning,Google maps had claregalway

Thanks - I submitted it as feedback via Maps to see if they can fix.

The m17 at sheeaunpark 22/11/162017-11-22_01-24-50_zpsl7o1h5ez.jpg22/11/17IMAG2499_zpsngpxr7ck.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is this more likely an issue with the GPS signals?

kippy wrote: »
    Is this more likely an issue with the GPS signals?

Possible but M17 confirmed it happens to him and I only see it on the new sections. Completely stops after Gort and that section South of Gort has as many roads next to the motorway as the new sections.

The rock cut at ballybanagher 13/11/152017-11-22_06-21-09_zpsf2jab7g6.jpg02/11/17IMAG6108_zpswq3qrjb4.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 16/05/162017-11-22_07-12-40_zpsrfmfwblh.jpg01/09/17IMAG5799_zpst22ypknk.jpg22/11/17IMAG2776_zpsmrfpibgy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Some joke of a road this heading out of tuam for galway

They've hundreds of pointless signs on the side of the dual carriageway and none of the directions you actually need

• Advertisement

mikeysmith wrote: »

They've hundreds of pointless signs on the side of the dual carriageway and none of the directions you actually need

This is a brilliant road there is nothing wrong with the signs around tuam the signs at rathmorrissy could be better

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Should've gone to Specsavers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

m17 wrote: »
    RATHMORRISSY 16/05/162017-11-22_07-12-40_zpsrfmfwblh.jpg01/09/17IMAG5799_zpst22ypknk.jpg22/11/17IMAG2776_zpsmrfpibgy.jpg

The above photo is of junction 18 is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I've experienced this noise myself, scared the scrap out of me as I was overtaking a truck at the time.
    On another note, just north of the bat bridge, there is a lovely 2 story house on the left as your heading towards Galway. The road runs very close to the house and borders their property line. I wonder why there's no noise barriers and mature planting here? Must be a serious bit of noise without any barrier at all?
    If it was my house I would have been insisting on some noise control.

Yeah, I've noticed this house as well. Couldn't believe it was so close to the motorway and wide open. The motorway is practically at the bottom of their garden with no sound barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

terrarev wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed this house as well. Couldn't believe it was so close to the motorway and wide open. The motorway is practically at the bottom of their garden with no sound barriers.

Fair play to them for not kicking up a fuss. (Not like somewhere else I could mention!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Fair play to them for not kicking up a fuss. (Not like somewhere else I could mention!)

***Ahem Ahem steering group cough cough***

The above photo is of junction 18 is it?

Here are the junctions gort to tuam junction 16 m18 gort looking towards LimerickIMAG2765_zpsi1ndclie.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2764_zps6p2zdutj.jpgjunction 17 m18 kiltiernan looking towards gortIMAG2753_zpsr59mxid0.jpgkiltiernan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2752_zpseqwzeeth.jpgjunction 18 m18/m17/m6 rathmorrissyIMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpgjuctiuon 19 m17 annagh hill looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1860_zps8kjilcjo.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG1861_zps0mssqgtn.jpgjunction 20 m17 the kilmore roundaboutIMAG2592_zps0gawudyf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

terrarev wrote: »
    Fair play to them for not kicking up a fuss.
    Actually, I woudn't say fair play to them at all, rather that it's an indictment of the way things work.

The right thing to have done would have been for noise barriers to have been installed here - but why wasn't it done? Because this crowd didn't "kick up a fuss".

Meanwhile, some bollocks who lives miles away from the motorway gets noise barriers installed because he does kick up a fuss.

Annoying, IMO.

Not being a smart ass, but in that pic, is the wooden barrier not a sound barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not being a smart ass, but in that pic, is the wooden barrier not a sound barrier?

I don't know what pic your talking of but yes the wooden barrier is a sound barrier.

• Advertisement

It's a different house to the one in m17's photo that we're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Why is there so many signs telling motorists not to park in the Garda Hideaways?

Not sure the correct name for them

Why is there so many signs telling motorists not to park in the Garda Hideaways?

Not sure the correct name for them

What signs are you on about? There is one sign at each Garda ramp.
    Are you on about the route marker signs? Placed every 500 meters??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Middle Man wrote: »
    I have noticed that a while back - perhaps a relocation agreement might have been justified here given how close the road is.

Is it a myth, that I have heard, that people in houses this close to the motorway got market value for the house and could choose to continue owning/living in it, or move on?

There is another one I noticed, between Rathmorrissey and Annagh, a two story, that was occupied up until the time the motorway opened to traffic, then demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

Crash on m17 before the m6 junction Tuam direction both lanes closed.... just got a notification there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Crash on m17 before the m6 junction Tuam direction both lanes closed.... just got a notification there!

Mod: this is not the place for traffic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

Mod: this is not the place for traffic news.

Apologies, I presumed a thread on the m17 and the fact it was closed would be ok here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Apologies, I presumed a thread on the m17 and the fact it was closed would be ok here!

The amount of accidents on the new road this morning was shocking. The M18 north of Gort was very poor and really should have been closed.

It's a different house to the one in m17's photo that we're talking about.

This is the house kevwoody is talking about raheen/kiltartanIMAG2778_zpsybrp0fxb.jpgthis is the house I'm talking about carvandooramIMAG2750_zpsbmikfogc.jpgthis the house ricta is talking about sheeaunpark it's on the top left hand sideIMAG2598_zps3j7u9dqy.jpg

• Advertisement

Kiltiernan 25/11/172017-11-24_02-57-46_zpsu9wujnzi.jpg

Advertisement