Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Is there a big up take in people going M6 to limerick now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

roadmaster wrote: »
    Is there a big up take in people going M6 to limerick now?

Not in anyone i know's case. Bless em people really don't know how good the motorways are. Even with tolls, its so much handier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Not in anyone i know's case. Bless em people really don't know how good the motorways are. Even with tolls, its so much handier

Bang on there.

Following recent trips from Cork to Galway (Parkmore) return, the motorway is of a fine standard.

I got lost on my first attempt at it though as i took the wrong bloody exit.

When travelling along the M6 towards Parkmore though is a nightmare, that bloody roundabout and the traffic associated with it is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Kevwoody wrote: »
    What signs are you on about? There is one sign at each Garda ramp.
    Are you on about the route marker signs? Placed every 500 meters??

Ya the garda ramp signs

Why don't have them off the road on the ramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I took the new road from tuam to oranmore

I took the turnoff for oranmore and then came to a junction of 2 motorways and no signage to indicate which way

Got lost after that

I won't be bothering with it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Abusive posts deleted. Everyone behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Practical question for the weather now. Who is responsible for gritting this stretch and where are the depots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

flazio wrote: »
    Practical question for the weather now. Who is responsible for gritting this stretch and where are the depots?

Directroute tuam ltd
    Furzypark maintendance depot
    Athenry
    Co Galway
    091 845541
    IMAG2731_zpsvs3ifyjn.jpg

The m17 at castlelambert 23/11/17IMAG9056_zpsittbtdch.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 at castlelambert 23/11/17
    That looks brilliant - really shows how the west has come along - now the south lags behind everyone else - M20, M40, M28 and N22 (Macroom) needed now!

• Advertisement

The m18 at kiltiernan 25/11/17IMAG9057_zpsuy7defjo.jpg

Did somebody get an early Christmas present? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

The m17 at castlelambert 23/11/17IMAG9056_zpsittbtdch.jpg

How did you capture the colours like this? Of th lights on the road?

Is one side = headlights
    And the other side = tail lights

And then some special camera setting ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is one side = headlights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-exposure_photography

Left side is taillights of one side of the carriageway and the right side is the oncoming headlights of another side of the carriageway,

The kilmore roundabout 25/03/17IMAG3013_zpslp9f2f1c.jpg22/09/172017-11-21_09-13-43_zpsc6ihunb5.jpg

The kilmore roundabout 22/09/172017-11-21_09-13-43_zpsc6ihunb5.jpg

Are you a professional photographer by any chance?

I've seen things in your photos that i didn't think were possible.

Your work is excellent :D

As for the detail of the photos, i quite liked driving the M17/18.

The M6 was good until the Coolagh roundabout.

No I'm not a professional photographer it's just a hobby great to see your enjoying the pics as for that coolough roundabout it will be 2024 before that's sorted

Yes the pics are great, keep them coming :)

Are you on Flickr?

That roundabout is a nightmare, and these were my first trips to the west, my first day going there it was very very wet so it added to the congestion.

2024 can't come soon enough.

The road surface on the M18,exit 18 was like glass that day as well, the back of the tractor unit kicked out a small bit and i was crawling it.

The road surface on the M18,exit 18 was like glass that day as well, the back of the tractor unit kicked out a small bit and i was crawling it.

It's a brand new road surface. Maybe check the thread on the tyres

It's a brand new road surface. Maybe check the thread on the tyres

Tyres were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Ricta wrote: »
    Is it a myth, that I have heard, that people in houses this close to the motorway got market value for the house and could choose to continue owning/living in it, or move on?

There is another one I noticed, between Rathmorrissey and Annagh, a two story, that was occupied up until the time the motorway opened to traffic, then demolished.
    They might have gotten compensation, but I doubt it would be full market value, because in that situation the state would buy the house, and sell it on after the project is finished, which saves them a fair wad in the end.

• Advertisement

Directroute tuam ltd
    Furzypark maintendance depot
    Athenry
    Co Galway
    091 845541
    IMAG2731_zpsvs3ifyjn.jpg
    So, does that mean in the highly unlikely, but not impossible situation that the M6 is closed between Athenry and Rathmorrisy the Directroute team will be heavily delayed in getting onto their own motorway?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So, does that mean in the highly unlikely, but not impossible situation that the M6 is closed between Athenry and Rathmorrisy the Directroute team will be heavily delayed in getting onto their own motorway?

The M6 between Athenry and Rathmorrissey is under the control of another PPP Concessionaire (N6 Concession Ltd) who are complied to take care of that particular section of motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is one side = headlights

Tripod + long exposure (say 30 seconds) would do that nicely.

My point is the Directroute depot appears to be just off J17 on the M6 which as you point out is under the control of N6 Concession. So if N6C decide to close the M6 between J17 and 18 then Directroute are locked out of their own motorway.

My point is the Directroute depot appears to be just off J17 on the M6 which as you point out is under the control of N6 Concession. So if N6C decide to close the M6 between J17 and 18 then Directroute are locked out of their own motorway.

They are not locked of there own motorway they can access the m17 at carthymore with the gate on the right hand sideIMAG2338_zps2qfbf1ag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

They are not locked of there own motorway they can access the m17 at carthymore with the gate on the right hand side

Ah but if the lock on the gate is frozen & they have no cigarette lighter to thaw it out what then? :rolleyes:

Ah but if the lock on the gate is frozen & they have no cigarette lighter to thaw it out what then? :rolleyes:

Blow torch :D

Annagh hill 24/04/16IMAG1471_zps0cjphpfa.jpg25/09/17IMAG9077_zpsqfsvg66u.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Are you a professional photographer by any chance?

I've seen things in your photos that i didn't think were possible.

Your work is excellent :D

As for the detail of the photos, i quite liked driving the M17/18.

The M6 was good until the Coolagh roundabout.

just interested :

"I've seen things in your photos that i didn't think were possible"

What things are you taking about?

• Advertisement

The m18 around coole park and the bat bridgehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cah5OatDWOk

Advertisement