Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spiller78

I hope it's ok to ask about traffic and incidents on the m17/m18 on this thread. Does anyone know what happened to the cheese wire near the railway bridge on the Tuam by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

Spiller78 wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to ask about traffic and incidents on the m17/m18 on this thread. Does anyone know what happened to the cheese wire near the railway bridge on the Tuam by-pass.

I posted a few days ago on how the motorway was closed due to an accident which falls under both traffic and incidents and I was told this wasn’t the place to be commenting on traffic updates even tho it’s a thread on the M17/M18 so chances are you could be shot down too, seems like any other info on the m17 other than the construction phase and the layout is not permitted! Doesn’t really make sense IMO but sure whatever!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I posted a few days ago on how the motorway was closed due to an accident which falls under both traffic and incidents and I was told this wasn’t the place to be commenting on traffic updates even tho it’s a thread on the M17/M18 so chances are you could be shot down too, seems like any other info on the m17 other than the construction phase and the layout is not permitted! Doesn’t really make sense IMO but sure whatever!

Mod: Traffic incidents should be posted where they belong - in the Motoring section.

Asking about the crash barrier - and its status of repair might well find a place here.

I am not in favour of being too rigid, but turning this forum into a version of AA Roadwatch, reporting every collision and traffic snarl up, is not going to happen. The distinction should be clear enough. By the way, rather than back seat modding which is not appreciated - use PM or report post instead.

Why did you delete my post.
    Can you not discuss what's happening on M17/M18 here?

Repeated accidents in the same location could show an issue with the design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Repeated accidents in the same location could show an issue with the design.

There's nothing wrong with the design it's the bad driving

m17 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the design it's the bad driving

Surely if accidents happen again and again in the same place there could be an issue but I take your point it's more likely to be driver error.

I have just received an e-mail from the TII confirming the following facts:

Rathmorrissy is the longest roundabout in Republic Of Ireland.
    Rathmorrissy is the largest interchange in Republic Of Ireland.
    Rathmorrissy is the only interchange in Republic Of Ireland where separate 120km/h motorway's have full interconnection.
    Rathmorrissy is the largest 3 Tier interchange in Republic Of Ireland but (as was said before) not the only one. The TII mention M50/N3 at junction 6 can also be considered a 3 tier interchange.

These are some interesting facts and some I was honoured to be part of and facts I will use plenty of times in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely if accidents happen again and again in the same place there could be an issue but I take your point it's more likely to be driver error.

Mod: Discuss driver behaviour in the Motoring forums not here. The motorways are built and in use, and a redesign will never happen - more signs maybe.

I explained to you why your post was deleted, but if you like, I can take other action.

This is not the thread for discussing accidents or driver behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Careful: He's the mod for domestic waste disposal too. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

The TII mention M50/N3 at junction 6 can also be considered a 3 tier interchange.
    It could be considered a 4 tier interchange maybe, if you accept the railway line and canal are a tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone know how long is the M4 Kilcock roundabout? (J8) Was it the previous record holder?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone know how long is the M4 Kilcock roundabout? (J8) Was it the previous record holder?

Previous record holder is M2 (NI) Jct. 10 roundabout, Ballymena.

I have just received an e-mail from the TII confirming the following facts:

Rathmorrissy is the longest roundabout in Republic Of Ireland.
    Rathmorrissy is the largest interchange in Republic Of Ireland.
    Rathmorrissy is the only interchange in Republic Of Ireland where separate 120km/h motorway's have full interconnection.
    Rathmorrissy is the largest 3 Tier interchange in Republic Of Ireland but (as was said before) not the only one. The TII mention M50/N3 at junction 6 can also be considered a 3 tier interchange.

These are some interesting facts and some I was honoured to be part of and facts I will use plenty of times in the future.
    RATHMORRISSYIMAG6990_zpshfup4lg1.jpgrathmorrissy is the biggest roundabout in Ireland it had a length of 970 metres the one at ballymena has a length of 850 metres the world's biggest roundabout is at putrajaya in Malaysia it has a diameter of 3.5 kms pic by Google MapsIMAG9117_zpsvo1whoy6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

the world's biggest roundabout is at putrajaya in Malaysia it has a diameter of 3.5 kms

Can you even call that a roundabout sounds more like a road with a slight curve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can you even call that a roundabout sounds more like a road with a slight curve.
    It's one way so you can call it a roundabout alright. It's also signalised, and has a Shangri La hotel in the middle.

RATHMORRISSY 27/11/17IMAG9203_zpspcxbq3as.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Taken using a drone?

Taken using a drone?

Yes,only the best pics belong here

I still think that they could have made the layout better by making the left slip lane a left turn only and have it join the roundabout without stopping and the right lane for right turns only, where the driver goes onto the inner lane of the roundabout until their exit.

• Advertisement

The have finally changed the sign at the coolough roundabout 30/11/17IMAG2794_zpsslnrkh3v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Driving northbound earlier on the M18, I see some local has taken it upon themselves to add to the 2km advance directional sign.
    They've got an official looking blue "Next Exit 2km" sign with some additional towns which are not on the official sign (for a good reason) and mounted it on a trailer in the field adjacent to the proper sign.
    It's really distracting as your eyes go between each sign trying to take in all the info on both, I really hope TII and DirectRoute clamp down on this carry on and remove it asap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Driving northbound earlier on the M18, I see some local has taken it upon themselves to add to the 2km advance directional sign.
    They've got an official looking blue "Next Exit 2km" sign with some additional towns which are not on the official sign (for a good reason) and mounted it on a trailer in the field adjacent to the proper sign.
    It's really distracting as your eyes go between each sign trying to take in all the info on both, I really hope TII and DirectRoute clamp down on this carry on and remove it asap.

Before which exit?

marno21 wrote: »
    Before which exit?

Sorry thought I'd included it. It's before Junction 17.
    I phoned DirectRoute there now and they are aware of the sign, it's been there for about 2 weeks. Spoke to a really friendly chap on the phone and he said they are in contact with the relevant parties to get it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

marno21 wrote: »
    Before which exit?

I'd say junction 17, it's the only junction between Gort and Rathmorrissy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i seen that, it confused the **** out of me. I thought it was temporary sign from the construction phase.

2017-11-24_02-57-46_zpsu9wujnzi.jpg

2017-11-24_02-57-46_zpsu9wujnzi.jpg

Took ya long enough!!
    Only messing, I would have taken a pic myself but I knew you would be on the case!

Took ya long enough!!
    Only messing, I would have taken a pic myself but I knew you would be on the case!

The same pic is on page 571 #8551 please keep up only messing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Anyone else keep thinking M17 is a robot cos he's so on the ball? 😱

Advertisement