Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I still think that they could have made the layout better by making the left slip lane a left turn only and have it join the roundabout without stopping and the right lane for right turns only, where the driver goes onto the inner lane of the roundabout until their exit.

They could still do that, it only requires a bit of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

m17 wrote: »
    2017-11-24_02-57-46_zpsu9wujnzi.jpg
    That is bizarre :eek: would it happen in anywhere else? Sometimes, I wonder about this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

plodder wrote: »
    That is bizarre :eek: would it happen in anywhere else? Sometimes, I wonder about this country.

They look a lot closer together from a distance, really distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

plodder wrote: »
    If TII let these people away with this, then what's to stop businesses doing the same thing?

Next Exit - 1km Paddy's Pub.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    If TII let these people away with this, then what's to stop businesses doing the same thing?

Next Exit - 1km Paddy's Pub.

This already happens, M7 eastbound before J28 has a sign for Matt the Threshers pub and before J23 has a sign for the Barack Obama Plaza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    This already happens, M7 eastbound before J28 has a sign for Matt the Threshers pub and before J23 has a sign for the Barack Obama Plaza
    I know these happen and have seen plenty of them. I'm not sure if they're legal or not, but if not, I'm guessing a blind eye is turned to them.

However, I'm talking more about ones that would look like official ones, such as the one photographed in the thread. If you can advertise a town/village on an official-looking sign and get away with it, what's to stop anyone advertising a business on a blue official-looking sign too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I travelled the new motorway from Tuam to Galway for the first time on Monday last. Been travelling up and down to Galway (Bons Secuours) every morning and evening since. I've found little difference in distance or time, but find the old road through Claregalway just as fast (at the times Im using it & using the Tuam bypass).

The big roundabout sure does test you using it the first time :eek::eek: That turn off it for Shannon looks a *bit* tight too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Long time commenter here. Traveled from Tuam to Oranmore yesterday and then back. A few points:

Firstly, like many of you have said, traveling on the route for the first time felt very familiar thanks to M17s photos over the years.

Why anyone would use the old route is beyond me. I can't see how the old route is faster or more convenient.

It was a pleasure not having to enter the wasteland of Tuam (personal opinion, don't get upset by it, I think Tuam is a kip)

It was a relief not having to deal with the illogical structure in Claregalway. Seeing the empty bus land infuriated me every time I was stuck in the place. Or having to deal with the locals going on a milk run.

Over all and excellent experience, I did think the junction could be better signed coming from galway joining the m17/18 but I will reserve judgement on that until I travel it again next week as it could have been my fault. It was faster than the old road by a good margin, free flowing and a perfect driving surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at sheeaunpark 02/12/16IMAG2475_zps6wba1e18.jpg02/12/17IMAG2500_zpsozblacrk.jpg

The m17 16/08/15IMAG4002_zpsk5cbta3p.jpg02/12/17IMAG4009_zps96sedtcj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Driving northbound earlier on the M18, I see some local has taken it upon themselves to add to the 2km advance directional sign.
    They've got an official looking blue "Next Exit 2km" sign with some additional towns which are not on the official sign (for a good reason) and mounted it on a trailer in the field adjacent to the proper sign.
    It's really distracting as your eyes go between each sign trying to take in all the info on both, I really hope TII and DirectRoute clamp down on this carry on and remove it asap.

Cant see how they can clamp down on this, its a trailer on private property...

Which is displaying information that will cause a distraction to drivers. They are well within their rights to have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have a vague memory of this being legal everywhere, but in Galway they made you have to get planning permission. Or is that for the same thing but using lorrys?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Which is displaying information that will cause a distraction to drivers. They are well within their rights to have it removed.

This started happening when the M6 opened, but was clamped down updon soon thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

This started happening when the M6 opened, but was clamped down upon soon thereafter.

The m18 at kiltiernan 03/12/16IMAG10000_zps8jyyb3nc.jpg03/12/17IMAG2752_zpseqwzeeth.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 at kiltiernan 03/12/16IMAG10000_zps8jyyb3nc.jpg03/12/17IMAG2752_zpseqwzeeth.jpg
    What a difference a year makes.

The m18 02/12/17IMAG10001_zpsfhk7fxrs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

M17, like many here I commend you for all the great photos you provided us with over the years. The last thing I want to see is you getting in trouble with the authorities, hence I would encourage you not to get caught pulling up on the hard shoulder in a non emergency. I realise drivers do it all the time but it just takes the one Guard who got out of bed on the wrong side to put points on your licence. Stay safe out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

flazio wrote: »
    M17, like many here I commend you for all the great photos you provided us with over the years. The last thing I want to see is you getting in trouble with the authorities, hence I would encourage you not to get caught pulling up on the hard shoulder in a non emergency. I realise drivers do it all the time but it just takes the one Guard who got out of bed on the wrong side to put points on your licence. Stay safe out there.

It may be a still from his dash cam...

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

Robots don't get penalty points

Rathmorrisy 13/06/162017-11-22_07-12-40_zpsrfmfwblh.jpg27/11/17IMAG9203_zpspcxbq3as.jpg

Annagh hill 21/09/17IMAG4866_zpsuf0asrc1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

As does every sign up and down the edge of the motorway in private lands... Given the fact its mounted on wheels it could be quite tough. I noticed it last week when i passed, granted if it was positioned infront the TII sign it would be easier see. Cant see it causing tomuch hassle

As does every sign up and down the edge of the motorway in private lands... Given the fact its mounted on wheels it could be quite tough. I noticed it last week when i passed, granted if it was positioned infront the TII sign it would be easier see. Cant see it causing tomuch hassle

This is a lot different than your average advertising sign though.
    Most of the time you would only glance at them as you drive past, this sign though draws your attention away from both the road and the official sign, at a time where a person who is unfamiliar with the road or a nervous driver could be looking for their exit.
    It definitely needs to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if tii will put up one of those brown alternative route signs or is that just for avoiding tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

See a nice new sign at Kilmore roundabout for Claregalway Hotel, should that not be Baile Clair Hotel !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Traveled from Mayo to Cork last night so it was my first opportunity to travel the entire southbound route.

Excellent bit if infrastructure.

There is so much more to traveling than just the time it takes (which was significantly less than it used to be). Not having to deal with the towns along the way makes it much easier from a fatigue perspective. I find when I can set a course and go, it's a much better experience. Not having to think about Siobhan pulling out of her local Centra half asleep after running to get cigarettes, priceless to my sanity. 😀

The m17/m18 really highlights the state that the N20 is in though, but that's a separate topic

The m17 at annagh hill 05/12/17IMAG2692_zpsr1f8wztr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

A couple of weird things about the M18:

Northbound, a little north of the Bat bridge, in the overtaking lane. Can't see any obvious difference, but when I drive on it, it makes an almost musical noise, for about 500m.

The other weird thing about this road is the way it swerves slightly to avoid the widened central median at every bridge (presumably this was either to save on initial cost, or maybe it was a cheap fix to a design error). I think this is only on the recently completed M18 section - not on the M17.

Advertisement