Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

yaledo wrote: »
    A couple of weird things about the M18:

Northbound, a little north of the Bat bridge, in the overtaking lane. Can't see any obvious difference, but when I drive on it, it makes an almost musical noise, for about 500m.

The other weird thing about this road is the way it swerves slightly to avoid the widened central median at every bridge (presumably this was either to save on initial cost, or maybe it was a cheap fix to a design error). I think this is only on the recently completed M18 section - not on the M17.

Re the widened median; I seem to remember seeing this in the M8 too, possibly the Cahir bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That "musical note" as you call it raised my heart rate a little as I thought there was something wrong with my car.
    Probably not the only one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N6 at Coolagh is backed up for about 100m this morning, the queue on the old N17 is about 10 times as long approaching Bothar na dTreabh and there's a queue in Claregalway too.

Is there any reason why people aren't using the M17?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

marno21 wrote: »
    The N6 at Coolagh is backed up for about 100m this morning, the queue on the old N17 is about 10 times as long approaching Bothar na dTreabh and there's a queue in Claregalway too.

Shhh! Dont be telling people!

Actually today was unbelievably quite on the motorway...that said Fridays is the quietest morning for traffic coming into Galway anyway followed by Mondays. Tuesdays are the worst followed closely by Wed & Thur.
    Cant fully explain this morning, perhaps with the snow (or forecast of it) people might have preferred to use the old road at a slower speed. I took the motorway myself this morning as usual and the surface was perfect. i checked the brakes a few times and no issues at all. The fields were white with light covering of snow / sleet but main roads were ok.
    I think normally a lot of people that have to head to the west side of the city or city centre find the delays slower from motorway...all depend on time of the morning they hit it. The que on the motorway is generally between 1 and 2km by 8-830am. Get in before 730-745 and the que is less than half that.
    There may also be some people coming across from the headford road side over to tuam road as the headford road traffic has increased significantly in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Money. Burn more fuel and does not save any time. I work in Parkmore in a big office - all the people I know who live in North Galway, South Mayo even Sligo still come via Claregalway to work. Some though change the travel patterns leaving Parkmore in the evenings. Depending on the time they leave work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The start of the n67 at the coolough roundabout 08/12/17IMAG10013_zpsq0zncbwc.jpg

Mahangh bridge on the m17 22/06/152017-12-09_01-37-44_zpseomlxf7t.jpg09/12/17IMAG2826_zpsvlnpiq6q.jpg

The r354 loughgeorge to annagh hill 09/12/17IMAG10016_zpswexpkp4m.jpg2IMAG10017_zpssho4xv39.jpg3IMAG10018_zpshsxrfwr8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A good opportunity today to test how good the grip surface works on the ballygaddy road flyover!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Have to drive home from Shannon to athenry today ! That will test it alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That won't test the ballygaddy flyover though!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Have to drive home from Shannon to athenry today ! That will test it alright

No issues

The m17 at corofin 09/12/17IMAG2549_zpskpeqew3i.jpg10/12/17IMAG2835_zpsvs4iybwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

My first time using the new section of the M18 last week. Took me 1 hour from the toll booth in Limerick to the Maldron Hotel in Oranmore, while travelling well below the speed limit.

There's probably no time saving over the 'old road' but, my god was it a relaxing drive by comparison. In 1995 I commuted daily from Limerick to Galway for a few weeks so I probably have more hair on my head now than I did back then (well.... ok). It was lashing rain and pitch dark after my meeting in the Maldron so having all motorway for the return leg was even more of a relief.

For so long the 'Atlantic Corridor' has seemed like a hollow marketing pitch. But it's finally starting to sound less hollow now.

Mahangh bridge on the m17 11/12/17IMAG2841_zpsit1d2dph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Conba wrote: »
    Took me 1 hour from the toll booth in Limerick to the Maldron Hotel in Oranmore, while travelling well below the speed limit.
    You certainly were going well below the speed limit.

It's possible to do Tuam to the Shannon Tunnel in an hour now on this fantastic new road, and that's not breaking the speed limit.

The tuam bypass 11/10/152017-01-11_10-57-18_zps2g34ggek.jpg27/09/17IMAG10036_zps8nyf9dpv.jpg

Ballygaddey road flyover looking towards the kilmore roundabout 12/12/162017-12-13_07-46-13_zpsmednz8un.jpg12/12/17IMAG2558_zps3ds0ktpw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Noticed on the three new roundabouts in Tuam today work crews installing trees/shrubs...

Have also noticed water courses along the m17 in adjoining lands are backed up.... Has there been some bit of an error with draining and planning on the behalf of the motorway?

The komatsu 800 on the m17 2017-12-14_03-37-00_zps4eac9exu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

She's some yoke....

The counter weight on the back of it weights 12 tonnes alone!

The m17 at annagh hill footbridge 16/12/17IMAG2849_zpsbbe2rc2u.jpg

New signs at the bother na dtreabh/ tuam road junction 17/12/17IMAG2861_zpsa9byicn8.jpg2IMAG2862_zps5nppk42k.jpg

Start of the n83 17/12/17IMAG2863_zpspnd1aetu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Money. Burn more fuel and does not save any time. I work in Parkmore in a big office - all the people I know who live in North Galway, South Mayo even Sligo still come via Claregalway to work. Some though change the travel patterns leaving Parkmore in the evenings. Depending on the time they leave work.
    I completely disagree with this. I also work in Parkmore and I wasn't convinced that the motorway would be any quicker for my daily commute. I live north of Tuam and have tried every combination going to work and coming home from work and the M6 - M17 route is the fastest by a long shot in both directions. Also that is not breaking any speed limits on all routes as I have enough points as it is. On average I found when I used the M6-M17 route I was 10 minutes faster in the mornings getting to work and 15 minutes faster going home from work. ( I was just timing from Tuam and to Tuam). That adds up to 25 minutes per day, 5 days a week! 
    Granted there is a slight difference in my fuel bill as it is longer and the fuel consumption goes up with the higher speeds. But this difference is <€10 which I happily pay to be home easier and quicker each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What about people say coming from the Gort direction? After Kilternan is there any time saving whatsoever? It Infact looks longer!

Personally I still take the Kilternan exit when heading to Galway, outside of school times in Clarinbridge there's absolutely no delays along the old route, Infact I find it quicker most times. I've travelled the M18 a few times but honestly it seems much longer.

Currently Google maps from Kilternan suggests its 34mins to Galway (where ever Google defines as the city center, looks to be midway down Dominick Street) on both routes, however it's 34km via the motorway, 9km longer.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What about people say coming from the Gort direction? After Kilternan is there any time saving whatsoever? It Infact looks longer!

Personally I still take the Kilternan exit when heading to Galway, outside of school times in Clarinbridge there's absolutely no delays along the old route, Infact I find it quicker most times. I've travelled the M18 a few times but honestly it seems much longer.

Currently Google maps from Kilternan suggests its 34mins to Galway (where ever Google defines as the city center, looks to be midway down Dominick Street) on both routes, however it's 34km via the motorway, 9km longer.
    KILTIERNAN TO GALWAY GPO IS 32KMS2017-12-18_07-29-58_zpsoukomxnp.jpgannagh hill to the gpo is also 32kms on the m17IMAG2859_zps9f38f7jf.jpg

If they're the same distance to the GPO, they're presumably the same distance to Rathmorrisey and hence Dublin, so why is there a 4km discrepancy?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If they're the same distance to the GPO, they're presumably the same distance to Rathmorrisey and hence Dublin, so why is there a 4km discrepancy?

RathmorrissyIMAG2483_zps59t2q5s3.jpgannagh hill to rathmorrissy is 13kms ,kiltiernan to rathmorrissy is 17kms to this sign

• Advertisement

How is it the same distance to Galway from both points in that case?

Advertisement