Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How is it the same distance to Galway from both points in that case?

Here's a map of rathmorrissy I have put in two black dots that is where these two signs are IMAG2864_zpso0bxzl2k_edit_1513690811051_zpsg9o1oxmx.jpgthe m6 eastboundIMAG2859_zpsw6gh0f0n.jpgthe m6 westboundIMAG2753_zpsy460mbsb.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

m17 wrote: »
    Robots don't get penalty points

Latest photos clearly show you on the emergency lane. Very dangerous behaviour risking both your life and other peoples lives for the sake of posting a few photos.

I’m taking this tone because you were so flippant when it was raised before.

Latest photos clearly show you on the emergency lane. Very dangerous behaviour risking both your life and other peoples lives for the sake of posting a few photos.

Those pics are six months old I was on a motorcycle when I took those pics so I wouldn't be in the way, nice to see your enjoying the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Those pics are six months old I was on a motorcycle when I took those pics so I wouldn't be in the way, nice to see your enjoying the pics
    Regardless of what you are driving, you should never stop on the motorway unless its absolutely necessary to do so EG breakdown. Its illegal as well as being dangerous. There was a woman killed on the M8 last year by doing just that for a phone call.

Check out an app called Mapillary. It will allow you to take the photos you want, safely, without stopping the car, without being a distraction while driving etc and will include geo location etc in the exif data on the images to allow you to overlay them on a map. I can even throw you a phone mount for either a bike or a car that will securely mount your phone.

Seriously, please stop pulling over on the mway, even if it was 6 months ago. I ask for selfish reasons, I want to see the pics of the M20 once that starts and need you to take them ;)

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISSY 19/12/17IMAG10044_zpsa9qtdacb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Jesus it gets worse
    That's RIDICULOUS m17 you can't just pull up in the middle of the sky like that it's deadly dangerous

D Trent wrote: »
    Jesus it gets worse
    That's RIDICULOUS m17 you can't just pull up in the middle of the sky like that it's deadly dangerous

Ah what makes me laugh you get more thanks for setting on the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ah what makes me laugh you get more thanks for setting on the fence

Fair play to Paul for flying the chopper with his sore foot....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

That's the best shot of Rathmorrissy yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's getting greener compared to the last shot I seen on here. Once the heat comes back in late spring and the grass starts growing quicker it will look a lot better, well imo anyway.

Interesting to see that there appear to be more vehicles on the roundabout than on either of the mainlines, fluke or is there a large number of vehicles that switch to or from the M6.

M17 junction 19 annagh hill IMAG10045_zpsdvx3yqqj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Classic shot M17

I’m in awe of your skill at photography, I certainly couldn’t manage it.

The m17 at ballybanagher Corofin 16/04/152017-03-31_10-58-10_zpsh3nlampe.jpg27/09/17IMAG2458_zpshsqlqjp4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Interesting to see that there appear to be more vehicles on the roundabout than on either of the mainlines, fluke or is there a large number of vehicles that switch to or from the M6.

There's a lot more road in the roundabouts than the straight motorway and traffic moving slower also so that could be a reason. I'd say it is a busy junction though in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Despite reading all the posts on here I still found myself on the wrong lane on the rathmorrisey roundabout when trying to get on the m6 towards Galway coming from Tuam.

Unless you are doing a uturn on the roundabout then I can't see any other reason to be in the right hand lane.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Despite reading all the posts on here I still found myself on the wrong lane on the rathmorrisey roundabout when trying to get on the m6 towards Galway coming from Tuam.

Unless you are doing a uturn on the roundabout then I can't see any other reason to be in the right hand lane.

Well if your approaching the RAB behind a slower moving vehicle like an HGV you can overtake them and safely return to the left lane in time for your (third) exit

That's not illegal is it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

For all right turns at roundabouts, the right hand lane should always be used - on large roundabouts like Rathmorrissy, once beyond the exit preceding the one you're using, I reckon you can switch to the left lane.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

• Advertisement

The kilmore roundaboutIMAG10049_zpsudczqa5x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Was on the roundabout in Rathmorrisey today. HGV had just missed its turn M6 (WEST) and was attempting to reverse back to take it... Car behind him trying to get inbetween his rear and the kerb to exit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

HGV had just missed its turn

Happened to me up there recently enough.

If you ain't local the signage ain't great.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/new-road-signage-clarinbridge-kilcolgan-m18/
    "New road signage directing motorists to Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan is being erected on the M18

Transport Infrastructure Ireland is installing blue signage on the motorway indicating the exit for Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan.

According to Councillor Martina Kinane the signage has been provisionally installed adjacent to the motorway and will soon be erected just before the exit point.

Councillor Kinane says local businesses expressed concern about the lack of directions on the motorway."

D Trent wrote: »
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/new-road-signage-clarinbridge-kilcolgan-m18/
    "New road signage directing motorists to Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan is being erected on the M18

Transport Infrastructure Ireland is installing blue signage on the motorway indicating the exit for Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan.

According to Councillor Martina Kinane the signage has been provisionally installed adjacent to the motorway and will soon be erected just before the exit point.

Councillor Kinane says local businesses expressed concern about the lack of directions on the motorway."
    Sorry can't take any pictures it's illegal to do so

Illegal to take pics of a road sign on a motorway? :confused:

Or for some other reason?

EDIT: as an aside, i love your before/after pictures. Really shows the incredible amount of work that goes into these things, that we just take for granted each day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It is if you're pulling up on the hard shoulder to do so. It's highly dangerous and two women were killed while pulled over on the M8 in September last year.

Happened to me up there recently enough.

If you ain't local the signage ain't great.

But surely you just go all the way around again and don't reverse on a roundabout? After all it is a roundabout.

To me it's a straightforward roundabout and I don't see how someone can miss their exit. It only has four exits and they all line up with points on the compass. E.g. if your coming from the south on the M18 and your heading for Dublin, take the east exit( the 3rd one)

The m17 at bauilpuil 16/08/15IMAG10051_zpsifiasbnm.jpg30/10/17IMAG6108_zpswq3qrjb4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

muddle84 wrote: »

So I technically was correct in what I was doing. The sign indicates the exit for Galway as past 12 o clock so I was in the right hand lane.
    I think what's happening to people and what happened to me is the unfamiliarity (and I had just gotten back from 3 months driving on the right hand side of the road!) and not being able to see the exit on approach.

Advertisement