Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

According to The AA, "The M17 is currently closed in both directions between Tuam and the M6 Interchange at Rathmorrissey following a number of collisions."

Looks like near Cartymore, possibly due to heavy hail earlier?

Also there was a bad accident yesterday on the Tuam bypass roundabout, which my daughter's class unfortunately witnessed first hand on their way to swimming lessons. Their bus was stopped at the roundabout when an elderly man came flying down from the north direction seemingly completely unaware of the roundabout, and with no chance of stopping launched straight across and got wiped out by a truck. :eek:

It was a pretty shocking scene for the primary pupils to witness, especially as their teachers got off the bus to assist the man who was seriously injured and the car destroyed. :(
    They were there for over 20 minutes before the emergency services arrived...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Gwynston wrote: »
    According to The AA, "The M17 is currently closed in both directions between Tuam and the M6 Interchange at Rathmorrissey following a number of collisions."

Looks like near Cartymore, possibly due to heavy hail earlier?

Also there was a bad accident yesterday on the Tuam bypass roundabout, which my daughter's class unfortunately witnessed first hand on their way to swimming lessons. Their bus was stopped at the roundabout when an elderly man came flying down from the north direction seemingly completely unaware of the roundabout, and with no chance of stopping launched straight across and got wiped out by a truck. :eek:

It was a pretty shocking scene for the primary pupils to witness, especially as their teachers got off the bus to assist the man who was seriously injured and the car destroyed. :(
    They were there for over 20 minutes before the emergency services arrived...
    It was the section form sheeaunpark to carthymore it was around 7am a car over tuck me went back in front of me and ended up on the hard shoulder facing the opposite direction it all happened in the blink of an eye,I can't believe that it took 20 mins for the emergency services to arrive when there is ambulance base in tuam
    The m17 at carthymore looking towards tuam with the sheeaunpark flyover in the backgroundIMAG2927_zpsljra51k8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

LOL I was going to use the M17 for the first time today, wonder will it be open again by 2 ish?

Seven Worlds will Collide

LOL I was going to use the M17 for the first time today, wonder will it be open again by 2 ish?

It has fully reopened in the last 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Given the recent flooding and no issues showing up, I would say the comment in the Times has no basis
    You could well be right. The statement was that "Parts of the ... motorway ... may have to be lifted to avoid persistent flooding in the area, according to experts", with no experts being named so we can't verify the statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

How does everyone find phone coverage on the M17 section? I am currently with Eir and there is two complete black spots( each about 1 minute long at 120km/hr). One of them is north of the N63 junction and the other is south of it I think.

Does anyone notice these with other networks or is this specific to Eir?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

muddle84 wrote: »
    How does everyone find phone coverage on the M17 section? I am currently with Eir and there is two complete black spots( each about 1 minute long at 120km/hr). One of them is north of the N63 junction and the other is south of it I think.

Does anyone notice these with other networks or is this specific to Eir?
    When I drove the new scheme on opening day there was no coverage for a large stretch of the M18 south of Rathmorrissey.

In fairness, a lot of the road goes through the middle of nowhere and the cuttings don't help either.

marno21 wrote: »
    When I drove the new scheme on opening day there was no coverage for a large stretch of the M18 south of Rathmorrissey.

In fairness, a lot of the road goes through the middle of nowhere and the cuttings don't help either.

That is fixed now they have a new phone mast at rinn next to the m18,coverage near annagh hill is poor they are putting a mast near the national school but the locals are up in arms over it so it will be next year before that happens

m17 wrote: »
    That is fixed now they have a new phone mast at rinn next to the m18,coverage near annagh hill is poor they are putting a mast near the national school but the locals are up in arms over it so it will be next year before that happens

Will that phone mast cover all networks?

muddle84 wrote: »
    Will that phone mast cover all networks?

Vodafone are building that mast which will be 30 metres in height so it can cover the lowest point of the m17 around annagh hill and all networks wil be covered and it's been given the green light despite the locals and the tii objecting
    The mast on the m18 at rinnIMAG2747_zpsoxgjylwy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know I am late to the party but I drove on a section of this today. I drove down the N17 from Miltown and then around the Tuam bypass and then down the M17 to the roundabout with it intersects with the M6. I honestly thought that roundabout was bigger from hearing here about being the largest in Ireland. And then back the way I came.

It didn't take long to drive from Tuam to the M6 and I wasn't speeding I was doing about 110km/h the whole way. Very windy though I found and I had mixed feelings about how wide or narrow the road was depending on which way you look at it. At first I was thinking it's not that narrow but once I was back on the N17 and realized how wide the N17 was not even taking into account the hard shoulder section the new motorway way is adequate but it is a tiny bit too narrow for lets say two artics passing by each other.

I know I am late to the party but I drove on a section of this today. I drove down the N17 from Miltown and then around the Tuam bypass and then down the M17 to the roundabout with it intersects with the M6. I honestly thought that roundabout was bigger from hearing here about being the largest in Ireland. And then back the way I came.

It didn't take long to drive from Tuam to the M6 and I wasn't speeding I was doing about 110km/h the whole way. Very windy though I found and I had mixed feelings about how wide or narrow the road was depending on which way you look at it. At first I was thinking it's not that narrow but once I was back on the N17 and realized how wide the N17 was not even taking into account the hard shoulder section the new motorway way is adequate but it is a tiny bit too narrow for lets say two artics passing by each other.

Im pretty sure the motorway lanes are the same width as every other motorway in the country. One of the other posters that's more knowledgeable on those specifications can confirm that though I'm sure.

I really don't see where you think it's narrow though, and I have seen arctic overtaking other arctics on it numerous times!!

m17 wrote: »
    Where have you been it's open four months this Saturday

I just never decided to drive down that way unnecessarily even though today was so I had some free time and I said fúck it I will drive down for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not sure if anyone here has heard the audio recording of the paramedic telling the story from the other morning. Bizarre story. They were called out to a multiple vehicle crash. Apparently about 10 cars on one side of the motorway, and several rubberneckers crashed on the other. Possible exaggeration there! One car somehow skidded through the pile-up without hitting anyone else and came to a stop, sideways. The driver hopped out, and in full view of everyone else involved, stripped naked and ran off up the embankment. When the paramedics arrived there were a load of firemen up on top of the embankment with torches looking for him. He was found jogging on a road about 3 miles away by the guards (there's video of him running too).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone here has heard the audio recording of the paramedic telling the story from the other morning. Bizarre story. They were called out to a multiple vehicle crash. Apparently about 10 cars on one side of the motorway, and several rubberneckers crashed on the other. Possible exaggeration there! One car somehow skidded through the pile-up without hitting anyone else and came to a stop, sideways. The driver hopped out, and in full view of everyone else involved, stripped naked and ran off up the embankment. When the paramedics arrived there were a load of firemen up on top of the embankment with torches looking for him. He was found jogging on a road about 3 miles away by the guards (there's video of him running too).
    Seen the video
    Bizarre doesn't do it justice

DRIVING DOWN THE TUAM BYPASS ON THE WRONG SIDE

RATHMORRISSYIMAG2942_zpsv3mtf1fw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Great to see the mast is finally live south of Athenry! What a black spot for the past few months. Great to have full coverage today on my way home. Took them long enough to commission it! I wonder how long will it take for the one in Annagh Hill to go live?

Kiltiernan 23/01/182018-01-26_08-33-31_zpsbkji0we0.jpg

The flyover at sheeaunpark 25/01/18IMAG10422_zpsxpc8rbuq.jpgsheeaunpark looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2501_zpsuzywkgtd.jpgsheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2499_zpsngpxr7ck.jpg

• Advertisement

Why have all the bridges got stairs along the side of them? Well they only go down a small bit but afair I never seen them on other motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Drove up Wednesday and back this morning - probably just me but it seems like it's all a bend, is there 500m straight anywhere?!

Saw a lad reversing back off the Dublin slip to go to Galway I presume

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why have all the bridges got stairs along the side of them? Well they only go down a small bit but afair I never seen them on other motorways.

I believe there's some sort of examination point below the bridge to examine the expansion gap allowed on bridges. You usually see a door into the section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Drove up Wednesday and back this morning - probably just me but it seems like it's all a bend, is there 500m straight anywhere?!

Saw a lad reversing back off the Dublin slip to go to Galway I presume
    If the curves are gentle, does the motorway have to be straight? Motorways in general are not as straight as the classic major single carriageway roads - there's only half the sight distance to consider given the complete separation of the opposing traffic streams. As for the guy reversing on a motorway, he should be relieved of his licence on the spot...

There's definitely a difference between the motorways

The M6 from Galway to Ballinasloe is a dream to drive

The M18 from Ennis to Gort is physically tiring to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There's definitely a difference between the motorways

The M6 from Galway to Ballinasloe is a dream to drive

The M18 from Ennis to Gort is physically tiring to drive

Ennis to Gort is the worst section of motorway in Ireland. It’s incredible just how twisty it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ennis to Gort is the worst section of motorway in Ireland. It’s incredible just how twisty it is.

Another I hate is the M7 between Roscrea and Nenagh. I find that not very pleasant, very hilly with big sweeping dips and horrible surface prone to spray/standing water.
    Find this on parts of the M9 though not as pronounced. The M9 Carlow bypass for example is very good in terms of surface. The Kildare and Kilkenny sections either side are far more prone to spray in the rain and this feel less safe in the wet.

The m17 at cloondarone the flyoverIMAG2639_zpsnu56apnt.jpgstepsIMAG2944_zpsgjomrkeh.jpgplatformIMAG2945_zpsznz03d05.jpgbridge plateIMAG2946_zpsk8fnh4co.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2947_zps01572l44.jpglooking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2948_zpsyyktzjnw.jpg

Castlelambert by day IMAG2924_zpslw7gpocy.jpgcastlelambert at nightIMAG9056_zpsittbtdch.jpg

• Advertisement

The m17 at ballybanagher 22/06/15IMAG0115_zps378ihn5f.jpg31/10/17IMAG1572_zpskwui6n0y.jpg

Advertisement