Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Your the one who specifically mentioned the M20 in this thread!
    Just because some posters disagree and raise the valid point the M17/18 got through planning before the cuts, doesn't mean you should put on your Mod hat and end the discussion.

I accept that. I am not averse to posters disagreeing with me - they usually do.
    I was answering a comment about Eamonn Ryan of the Green Party.

However, if the discussion is to continue, it will be on the M20 thread. If preferred, I will move all of this discussion to that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

roadmaster wrote: »
    Ciaran Cuffe from the green party was on newstalk before lunch and he made a snide remark about the department of transport throwing money at motorway between two towns we never heard off. I presume he is talking about Gort/Tuam. and not Cork/Limerick Its easy to see with remarks like that why the Green Party will remain a party of non importance

I heard that as well. He was talking in general about the vast spend in motorways, he was making a value for money and usage comparison. His point was spending millions on cycling and public transport infrastructue in Citys would get ya way more kms of infrastructure and usage than a motorways between two towns that ya would never hear of. I say somebody in Offaly picked two towns in there County, someone in Tipp the same and you picked two towns in Galway. Was a clever way of saying it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M20 was suspended in 2011 because we couldn't afford the CPO. This isn't surprising in hindsight.

In my opinion, the fact that building a motorway between Gort and Athenry and Tuam was pushed so much is the issue here. A functional north-south motorway with proper access to Galway city should have been built. Not the empty motorway we got instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

marno21 wrote: »
    The M20 was suspended in 2011 because we couldn't afford the CPO. This isn't surprising in hindsight.

In my opinion, the fact that building a motorway between Gort and Athenry and Tuam was pushed so much is the issue here. A functional north-south motorway with proper access to Galway city should have been built. Not the empty motorway we got instead.

The motorway should have swung much closer to Galway City. Much, much closer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The motorway should have swung much closer to Galway City. Much, much closer.

451511.png

Galway bypass indicative route included.

It would've cost more but would have had a lot more benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

RATHMORRISSY 23/05/16IMAG12374_zpsdzioon2s.jpg23/05/18IMAG3294_zpsfiinqrio.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I heard that as well. He was talking in general about the vast spend in motorways, he was making a value for money and usage comparison. His point was spending millions on cycling and public transport infrastructue in Citys would get ya way more kms of infrastructure and usage than a motorways between two towns that ya would never hear of. I say somebody in Offaly picked two towns in there County, someone in Tipp the same and you picked two towns in Galway. Was a clever way of saying it.

My issue was more with the begrudging tone he had with the fact M17/18 got constructed and i also taught it came across badly the way he said two towns that no one has heard off. if he wanted to make his point about VFM he could have just said i believe we would have being better spending the money invested in the M17/18 on public transport in Dublin instead

roadmaster wrote: »
    My issue was more with the begrudging tone he had with the fact M17/18 got constructed and i also taught it came across badly the way he said two towns that no one has heard off. if he wanted to make his point about VFM he could have just said i believe we would have being better spending the money invested in the M17/18 on public transport in Dublin instead

I am pretty certain he never said M17/18? I think you just heard what you wanted to hear. Am not saying he was not referring to it, but it would also apply to other sections Motorways in IRE with very low usage nos.
    He did make that point about about public transport and more specifically about woeful lack of spend on cycling infrastructure . If you spent the same €€€€€€€€€ on cycle and public transport infrastructure in Dublin and the other regional Cities as has been spent on certain Motorways in IRE - you would get exponentially far greater usage and bang for your buck.
    I think he quoted that cycling only gets 1% of total Transport Budget?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I am pretty certain he never said M17/18? I think you just heard what you wanted to hear. Am not saying he was not referring to it, but it would also apply to other sections Motorways in IRE with very low usage nos.
    He did make that point about about public transport and more specifically about woeful lack of spend on cycling infrastructure . If you spent the same €€€€€€€€€ on cycle and public transport infrastructure in Dublin and the other regional Cities as has been spent on certain Motorways in IRE - you would get exponentially far greater usage and bang for your buck.
    I think he quoted that cycling only gets 1% of total Transport Budget?

I was listening to it too. He didn't mention any particular scheme, but I thought it was obvious which one he was referring to. There are no other recent motorway schemes between 'two towns nobody as heard of nowhere'.

While better cycling facilities are needed nationwide, the interurban motorways are the one good thing to come from the FF's decade in government. They've saved lives and aided the economic recovery.

They've saved lives and aided the economic recovery.
    Yes and No. Economic recovery from Irelands Great Recssion occurred in the Citys long before it touched areas covered by the new Motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes and No. Economic recovery from Irelands Great Recssion occurred in the Citys long before it touched areas covered by the new Motorways.

And how do you thing people and goods travelled between said cities?

And how do you thing people and goods travelled between said cities?

Pre-existing Road Network, Railways etc We already had these.

If you had said "The M17/18 "aided" the economic recovery"; I would not disagree as this was the only Motorway constructed during and post the Great Irish Recession. It had a postive economic effect on the region it was constructed in. This is a good time to build large public infrastucture to stimulate the econonmy (still does not justify the building of the M17/18).

The idea that the Motorways built during the BOOM somehow "aided" the economic recovery is stretching it though. Many rural areas would say they had the opposite effect, even up to this very day. They were also very expensive infrastructure to build during the boom time period, and then to maintain especially if underused (and many sections still are).
    The urban areas would have recovered regardless. I will say that they are been used in far greater no's now - but this really is post "economic recovery" mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Had a pleasant drive north on the M17/18 today, really dont miss sitting in traffic in Claregalway!
    One thing I really noticed today was the amount of semi mature trees and other planting along the route, its going to be absolutely beautiful in years to come.

Road closures on the m6
    IMAG3321_zpsvoursalt.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

m17 wrote: »
    Road closures on the m6
    IMAG3321_zpsvoursalt.jpg

What are they closing exactly? M6 traffic or traffic coming off the M6?

It appears to be saying that traffic will be diverted off the main line and sent over the roundabouts at the junctions before rejoining the main carriageway.

What are they closing exactly? M6 traffic or traffic coming off the M6?

It looks like traffic coming off the m6,that sign at kiltiernan on the m18 is now goneIMAG3272_zps3sh4vitz.jpg

It appears to be saying that traffic will be diverted off the main line and sent over the roundabouts at the junctions before rejoining the main carriageway.
    It looks like traffic coming off the m6,that sign at kiltiernan on the m18 is now goneIMAG3272_zps3sh4vitz.jpg

Two different interpretations of the same notice.

I think I would understand the notice in the paper better if it was in Greek or Russian.

Who writes these notices?

Two different interpretations of the same notice.

I think I would understand the notice in the paper better if it was in Greek or Russian.

Who writes these notices?
    That notice is for the M6 anyway, it's probably in the wrong thread.

Overnight closure of the mainline at two junctions on the M6, traffic being diverted around the slip roads then back onto the mainline.

The closure at junction 19 effects traffic coming from the m18/m17 going in to Galway

That traffic goes via the roundabout, so is probably not affected.

• Advertisement

New ADS signs 2km from J17 on the M18 have been erected which now include the two "neglected" destinations that required the truck in the field, Kilcolgan & Clarinbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Some pictures from the Annagh Hill Footbridge!

marno21 wrote: »
    New ADS signs 2km from J17 on the M18 have been erected which now include the two "neglected" destinations that required the truck in the field, Kilcolgan & Clarinbridge

IMAG3372_zpsjaqyifwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

IMAG3372_zpsjaqyifwo.jpg

Should Oranmore be included im signage at that junction? Chucking traffic through kilcolgan shouldnt be the done thing.

I know its a small amount with oranmore as destination but it doesnt excuse the fact that R roads are mainly for intermediate destinations not lomg distance through towns.

In short i think this whole handling of M18 motorway has been a clusterfudge by Galway Coco. Tii allowing them to break their rules on reassigning the old roads to R is worse imo. No wonder the bypass is Eons away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I travelled the full length of the M17/M18 last Saturday for the first time, heading down to the Mayo match in Limerick. Coming back from the gaelic grounds, once I got out on the road it only took me about an hour and forty minutes to get home! Usually would take about 2 hours 20 minutes.

The "bat bridge" looks pretty impressive in the flesh too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should Oranmore be included im signage at that junction? Chucking traffic through kilcolgan shouldnt be the done thing.

I know its a small amount with oranmore as destination but it doesnt excuse the fact that R roads are mainly for intermediate destinations not lomg distance through towns.

In short i think this whole handling of M18 motorway has been a clusterfudge by Galway Coco. Tii allowing them to break their rules on reassigning the old roads to R is worse imo. No wonder the bypass is Eons away.

If I was heading to oranmore I certainly wouldn't use the motorway, it's 12km/12mins via the old road from Kiltiernan or 27km/19mins via the Motorway from Kiltiernan. Driving over touble the distance and a nice chunk more time shouldn't be recommended to drivers.

The annagh hill footbridge 12/06/18IMAG3266_zpsszwn3qka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

^ Strange alignment of the Irish text for Claremorris

• Registered Users Posts: 31 randomnumber1

tertials wrote: »
    ^ Strange alignment of the Irish text for Claremorris

Traffic signs manual:

“2.3.10 The Irish and English language versions of place-names may be different in length. Where this difference is excessive and would lead to uneconomic design the following alternatives may be used:

a) Indentation: In order to reduce the overall width of a place-name, the Irish or English script may follow onto a second line and be indented. This is achieved by left justifying the top line. The second line is indented by one tile at least and right justified with the un-indented text. This should only be done if the place-name is made up of two or more words as shown in Figure 2.3.5.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Still looks weird. Change 2.3.10 (a) to read "In order to reduce the overall width of a place-name, the Irish or English script may follow onto a second line and be perfectly aligned with the previous line." :)

Advertisement