Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I mocked up a few alternatives in Photoshop a few years ago, indenting the Irish and the second line and keeping the font.

All variations looked ridiculous, but the one they are using, bizarrely, looks the least ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭obi604

Hello. This is a strange one. In the last month have been driving twice on this road. Once was me, other was wife.

We are not entirely sure of the exact stretch of road but somewhere between Gort and Ardrahan heading North.

We were just driving along at 120 and all of a sudden felt as if something happened the car, like something failed. But in reality, car drove fine. Pulled in to check and no issues.....and even brought it to mechanic to check it over.

Is there anything weird on this stretch of road like a change of atmospheric pressure that would cause this.

I know I’m clutching at straws but just seems strange that this happened twice on roughly the same stretch of road in same direction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

obi604 wrote: »
    Hello. This is a strange one. In the last month have been driving twice on this road. Once was me, other was wife.

We are not entirely sure of the exact stretch of road but somewhere between Gort and Ardrahan heading North.

We were just driving along at 120 and all of a sudden felt as if something happened the car, like something failed. But in reality, car drove fine. Pulled in to check and no issues.....and even brought it to mechanic to check it over.

Is there anything weird on this stretch of road like a change of atmospheric pressure that would cause this.

I know I’m clutching at straws but just seems strange that this happened twice on roughly the same stretch of road in same direction etc.

It's just past the bat bridge is a 200 metre stretch as you head north it's the road surface that's the problem

m17 wrote: »
    It's just past the bat bridge is a 200 metre stretch as you head north it's the road surface that's the problem

Thanks, very strange, I actually thought something went bang in the car and pulled in to check, very un-nerving

how can the road surface cause such a thing?

The m18 at coldwood 01/03/18IMAG11008_zpskhn1bz8b.jpg

29/06/18IMAG3410_zpscc1r9hnt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Some man M17! -3 or +30 you're out snapping!

Rathmorrissy 29/06/18 long tailbacks this eveningIMAG3428_zpsbf9joqzq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I think that was due to the gorse fires in the area and the closing of the motorway between J17 and J18

Thanks, very strange, I actually thought something went bang in the car and pulled in to check, very un-nerving

Does it only happen at a certain speed. Like you have to be above 120 kph etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Had the same experience you described posted a few pages back! V alarming noise!
    And to make matters even odder, my egr valve went after the first time I heard it! It was pure coincidence and v strange!
    I stick to the left lane now!

was doing over 120ish when it happened both times

• Advertisement

youngblood wrote: »
    Had the same experience you described posted a few pages back! V alarming noise!
    And to make matters even odder, my egr valve went after the first time I heard it! It was pure coincidence and v strange!
    I stick to the left lane now!

was doing over 120ish when it happened both times

It is very alarming. So to be clear, does it only happen in the following circumstances.

In an area near the bat bridge
    Heading NORTH
    have to be in right (overtaking) lane
    Have to be going about 120 kph

The m17 at kilkseagh 02/03/18IMAG3108_zpsdds4oqkw.jpg

05/07/18IMAG3436_zpsrctpf4by.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Is there a service area between Shannon and Tuam that serves food?

If there isnt, could someone recommene a spot to pull off and grab something quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

There are no services between either.

Gort maybe your best bet as it is very close to the exit.

As for whats in Gort? Supermacs, Subway, a take away near the AIB bank and there is a hotel on the square, stopped there once, but that was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The subway is gone.
    There's a McDonald's and a new drive through coffee spot in Shannon town, other than that divert through Ennis or Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Figerty

mrsoundie wrote: »

As for whats in Gort? Supermacs, Subway, a take away near the AIB bank and there is a hotel on the square, stopped there once, but that was years ago.

O'Gradys in the Square in Gort has good food all day.

Thanks-after the overnight flight from the States we used to grab breakfast at the airport before hitting for Mayo. Last 2 years the food at the airport has been terrible so I was looking for an alternative. We might just grab something quick to go and then grind out the drive (which should be considerably shorter)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

whitey1 wrote: »
    Thanks-after the overnight flight from the States we used to grab breakfast at the airport before hitting for Mayo. Last 2 years the food at the airport has been terrible so I was looking for an alternative. We might just grab something quick to go and then grind out the drive (which should be considerably shorter)

There's a new restaurant in the arrivals area this year, called JJ Ruddles. Possibly worth a try if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

mrsoundie wrote: »

When on that route I always have food in O'Grady's Bar in Gort, I've been doing that over the past 15 years.
    It's located in the middle of the town, thave a great breakfast at a very reasonable cost. A thing I haven't seen in many other restaurants is the fact you can get extra bread etc from an area that they keep topping up similar to hotels.
    Their carvery too is first class and I'd highly recommend it.
    You can have a pint from the bar too if you wish, couldn't be better :)

I had a bit of a breakfast at Starbucks the other day. It’s new. A drive through job but you can go in and sit down too.

It is Essentially on grounds of airport about a mile or so from terminal building.

• Advertisement

How would it take to get from Shannon to the end of the motorway north of Tuam?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

whitey1 wrote: »
    How would it take to get from Shannon to the end of the motorway north of Tuam?

Around 50 minutes if you keep to the speed limit

RATHMORRISSY
    IMAG12247_zpsu4idwmct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd like to direct you to this thread
    R332 - Kilmaine to Tuam
    I had posted the link about how the motorway is affecting surrounding routes but a mod decided the discussion belonged in that thread instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

flazio wrote: »
    I'd like to direct you to this thread
    R332 - Kilmaine to TuamI had posted the link about how the motorway is affecting surrounding routes but a mod decided the discussion belonged in that thread instead.

Apologies, I forgot to put in a redirect post.

Discussion of the effect the M17 has had on traffic on the R332 road is in the above thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

m17 wrote: »
    RATHMORRISSY
    IMAG12247_zpsu4idwmct.jpg

How it could have looked :(

458411.jpg

458411.jpg
    It could never have looked like that.

The roads in your map all have seperate collector roads attached to them. The Rathmorrissey interchange is a simple motorway/motorway junction, no collector roads.

The M17/M18 are carrying traffic volumes below the capacity of a Type 1 Single Carriageway. Mega interchanges are simply a waste of money in this instance.

If they had built an at grade roundabout on the M6 for the M17/M18 it wouldn't be under much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

If we drove on the right & had cash to burn?

If we drove on the right & had cash to burn?
    Not even cash to burn. It's totally unnecessary. There'll be weeds growing on the current roundabout soon with the level of traffic using it.

• Advertisement

Annagh hill 25/08/18
    IMAG4777_zpsg33wyoiv.jpg

Advertisement